OSTC3, cR, sport and 2 :  heinrichs weikamp forum The fastest message board... ever.
OSTC's running hwOS 
Difference OSTC 2 and OSTC Plus
Posted by: d.sink ()
Date: July 05, 2018 08:00PM

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an OSTC. I'm thinking of buying the OSTC 2 or Plus sports version and upgrade it later to trimix when I need it.

I can't see many differences between the 2 and the plus except for the obvious looks. Internally they both seem the same, same functions, same screen, but the 2 has a bigger non replaceable battery.

Is are there any other big differences? I've read something about the buttons being different, but I don't know what the difference is. Is one easier to use with dry gloves? Is the plus a lot smaller than the 2? Is the aluminum housing more durable than the plastic one? Is one more reliable than the other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference OSTC 2 and OSTC Plus
Posted by: Nina ()
Date: July 07, 2018 03:07PM

Hi,
both dive computers are nearly the same size, the OSTC 2 is just a bit more curvy. :-)

As you mentioned, the biggest difference is the energy concept. OSTC 2 has an internal rechargeable battery that runs for 60 hours. It takes about 6 hours to recharge it. OSTC plus has both possibilities: You can use the rechargeable battery, that runs 30 hours and is recharged very quickly in 2 hours. Or you use a "normal" high quality AA battery, then you have a runtime of 60 hours.

The OSTC 2 and the OSTC plus have the same functions, the same display and even the buttons are the same. It is easy to use them with dry gloves, I always do without any problems. You can adjust the sensitivity of the buttons to your needs.

Whether you prefer the aluminium or the plastic housing depends on your taste. They are both very durable. Maybe you can see scratches a bit better on the aluminium, but you can have it in many colours.

Greetings,
Nina

Date: July 10, 2018 02:01PM

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your answer. I will be going for the plus then. I prefer the design and like that it is somewhat slimmer and lighter.

Can the computer also recharge the AA battery if I was to use something like an eneloop? Or does this only work for the factory battery and do I need to change the AA battery to recharge it? 60 hours or even 30 hours will last me quit sometime anyway.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posted by: heinrichsweikamp ()
Date: July 10, 2018 02:04PM

The OSTC Plus only recharges 3.6V LiIon batteries. Due to the low voltage we do not recommend 1.2 NiMH Batteries. And personally I would use the OSTC Plus with it's charger and not install disposable batteries. Recharging takes only a couple of hours...

regards,
Matthias

Date: July 10, 2018 02:37PM

Ok, so it's best to just stick with the supplied battery and use a non rechargeable AA in case of an emergency.

Are you using a 14500 liion battery in the computer?

Date: July 10, 2018 05:31PM

Yes, we supply the OSTC Plus with a Panasonic UR-14500P.

Regards,
Matthias

Date: July 11, 2018 12:53PM

Thank you for the explanation. I have ordered a ostc plus (sports for now) . I'm looking forward to getting it in the water!

Posted by: Giannhs ()
Date: March 23, 2019 11:26PM

Hello,

Sorry to bumping up an old thread.
I am between OSTC2 or OSTC plus too, and I would like to ask about the screen layouts.

Are the layouts of the menu/dive screens the same between the two computers, as they are shown on the hwos_tech manual?

Thank you in advance
Giannhs
Greece

Posted by: Ralph ()
Date: March 24, 2019 07:35AM

Absolutely yes - same type of display, same software.

Date: March 24, 2019 11:19AM

Hi,

Here's our comparison sheet for the OSTC computers. Hope that helps to decide :-)

regards,
Matthias

Attachments: Vergleichsliste-v17_2019_web.pdf (306.1 KB)  
Posted by: UKG ()
Date: March 25, 2019 10:53AM

A little OT (sry winking smiley ) but looking at the comparison list could not help wondering what the difference between an "optically bonded" and a "transflective" LCD is.. Maybe you could briefly explain? Thanks!

Date: March 25, 2019 10:56AM

Bonded: Screen is glued to the glass: [en.wikipedia.org]

Transflective: The screen mirrors back the sunlight and can run with a very low backlight current (power saving)

During diving you won't see much difference but the optically bonded screen has a slightly better viewing angle underwater.

regards,
Matthias

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.