large display setting -> bigger gas switch info

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
janvdb

large display setting -> bigger gas switch info

Post by janvdb »

Hi,

I'm running the large display settings due to deteriorating eye sight.
Can the gas switch view be made bigger in a next release?
Or create an XL display setting with an even bigger font size for both the standard dive screen and the gas switch view?

(running tech os 3.15 on ostc plus)
Thx,
Jan
swissdiving

Re: large display setting -> bigger gas switch info

Post by swissdiving »

Jan, you might as well face it, sooner or later you'll have to get corrective glasses or contact lenses. I switched to contacts 3 years ago and never looked back. And also switched to the ostc4...

...PS. you might want to consider arm surgery, lenghtening your arm. 😉
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
janvdb

Post by janvdb »

swissdiving wrote: Monday 20. December 2021, 06:33 Jan, you might as well face it, sooner or later you'll have to get corrective glasses or contact lenses. I switched to contacts 3 years ago and never looked back. And also switched to the ostc4...

...PS. you might want to consider arm surgery, lenghtening your arm. 😉
I would prefer a sw solution over a hw solution for a few more years ;)
(but I am going to read up on the possibility of using contacts)
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Having trouble reading came relatively suddenly (age) and it got progressively worse within two years. Fortunately it stabalised at +3.0. So not even the large view of the ostc4 is big enough. And if you're unlucky like me you'd also have trouble seeing in the distance. So to get safely into the water, for dry caving and sports in general I use contacts (multi focal).

The day lenses are perfect as they are soft and stay in the eye even if I have to take the mask off under water und open the eyes.

You can PM me if you want to know more on contacts. :geek:
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
edhowarth

Post by edhowarth »

You might look at the possibility of using just one contact lens. Put it in the eye on the same side as your computer. It may take a little time for your brain to get used to it, but you'll find you'll use one eye for distance and one for close. I've been doing this for 20 years.
janvdb

Post by janvdb »

edhowarth wrote: Wednesday 22. December 2021, 18:35 You might look at the possibility of using just one contact lens. Put it in the eye on the same side as your computer. It may take a little time for your brain to get used to it, but you'll find you'll use one eye for distance and one for close. I've been doing this for 20 years.
Interesting option, Thnx!
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

i dont like the layout of the large display neither... i can read the display of my OSTC 2N (10 years old!!) better then the display of my new OSTC 2...

in my opinion there is a missmatch of the size between large and small text...
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

scubatinoo wrote: Wednesday 12. January 2022, 17:58 in my opinion there is a missmatch of the size between large and small text...
Can you describe this in more detail? The small (Tiny Font) text is only static, like "Depth", "max. Depth" or "Divetime". It's not really required to read this at all ambient light conditions once you are used to the unit.
bigfont1.png
bigfont1.png (7.55 KiB) Viewed 18403 times
Here is in comparison a 2N dive mode screenshot:
Resize of heinrichsweikamp_ostc_2n_2_divemode.jpg
The static descriptions require more space but the font size is pretty much identical.

Regards,
Matthias
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

Thanks Matthias for having a look at this topic.

[quote]It's not really required to read this at all ambient light conditions once you are used to the unit.[/quote]

Yes, but to get used to the unit i should be able to read the small fonts :lol:

I'm quite sure that i can read the large fonts if they are a bit smaller, and the small fonts better when they are a little larger... If you compare the two display (2 and 2N), the 2N looks more... balanced?
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

I tend to agree with scubatinoo. The 2N layout looks tidier (aufgeräumter). But maybe its just age. LOL
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
janvdb

Post by janvdb »

heinrichsweikamp wrote: Thursday 13. January 2022, 20:20
scubatinoo wrote: Wednesday 12. January 2022, 17:58 in my opinion there is a missmatch of the size between large and small text...
Can you describe this in more detail? The small (Tiny Font) text is only static, like "Depth", "max. Depth" or "Divetime". It's not really required to read this at all ambient light conditions once you are used to the unit.

Regards,
Matthias
Hi Matthias, thanks for having a look.

My issue is mainly with a manual gas switch.

When I'm doing that I'm just interested in the depth and the list of gasses I'm selecting from.
So maybe the choice menu that is presented at the bottom can have a bigger font if you are using the "large" screen layout?
Or a vertical list spanning the right side of the screen?

Br,
Jan.