Store compass heading longer?

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
ijdod

Store compass heading longer?

Post by ijdod »

One thing I miss when using the compass on my OSTC2 is being able to set the heading it advance (say, when gearing up). By the time I hit the water, the computer will have gone to sleep again, and will have lost the heading i set.

Is it possible to retain this heading for longer in a future release?
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Store compass heading longer?

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

It should be easy to implement. How long would you suggest is a good value?

regards,
Matthias
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Why not the same way as ostc4?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Spacefish

Post by Spacefish »

That´s what i noticed as well,

i set a heading to be able to swim back to shore in advance and walked into the sea at night. The computer went into sleepmode before i got underwater and the heading was lost, so i had to reset it again.

I would suggest 60 minutes as a value, this 60 minute timer is reset every time the computer is turned off / goes to sleep and checked against on wakeup. If wakeuptime - sleeptime > 60 minutes the heading is removed, otherwise it is kept.

So the heading is only lost if the computer is off/in sleepstate for longer than 60 minutes.
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

For me 15 minutes would be fine. I admit I like Spacefish' suggestion (essentially, a *long* sleep resets the heading. )
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Did this eventually end up on a roadmap/to do list?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Uups, apparently not yet. I have put it on mine, besides some other add-ons for the next firmware version...
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

Would be great. It seems to me that even if you take a bearing before you enter the water and the computer does not go to sleep, the bearing is lost.
Michael
Sydney
Australia
OSTC 2 11528
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The bearing is indeed lost on several occasions. In my development code, i just changed it to only get cleared on entering the main menu. On entering main menu actually only for reason to have something simple to get it cleared at all, because with that change it elsewise wouldn't clear never ever again (exept on a hard reboot). Would avoid having another timer as suggested above for reason it would require extra code and computational time in the ISR (interrupt service routine) - the place were among other things all the timers are run. Any comments? If generally acceptable, it could go this way into the next release to come.

Thanks,
Ralph
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Sounds fine to me.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Sometimes, when I enter the water or put on my gear I accidentally press the left button. This would delete the just stored bearing again. I wonder if there is not a better way to deal with this... But besides deleting the bearing after xx minutes or even manually I currently have no good idea.

Regards,
Matthias
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Any idea if this is on the roadmap somewhere, or did I miss it in the release notes?
Arno

Post by Arno »

Why does a stored value ever has to be reset automatically? On my good old SK7 when I turn the ring it won't reset by itself, ever... ;) For me this would also work on a digital compass.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Well, because there is no other means to clear the cue on the compass scale other than by the auto-reset. As far as i remember, reset now takes place when entering the surface menu, so setting a bearing, OSTC goes to sleep, OSTC awakes again should preserve the bearing.

-R.
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Checked, and works perfectly functional. Thanks! Didn't notice the feature earlier because when playing I usually enter the menu (which resets, duh), and used a workaround when diving (either setting the course at the last minute, or keeping the computer awake.)