OSTC 2 TR Charging

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
jam_uk

OSTC 2 TR Charging

Post by jam_uk »

My OSTC 2 TR seems to have a charging bug.

1: It does not always like some USB sockets, even ones rates at 2.1A. After a while the puck glows red and it stops charging.

2: If the device is left to completely discharge, on next start it says new battery - fine. I select internal 16550 and it restarts.

It then says charging and the puck first goes solid green then flashes green. The charge indicator shows T4: 3.7 and 99%. After a very short while it shows fully charged. This is incorrect!!

Last time I left it for a few DAYS it eventually charges, I will report back what happens today later.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC 2 TR Charging

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

When recharging from a low battery state. you need to recalibrate the battery management chip (The electron counter). Place the unit on the charger and wait until the battery indicator is green or just recharge over night. Recharging should not take longer then ~6hours. Your charger might have some defect, get in contact with us directly for a new one.

regards,
Matthias
jam_uk

Post by jam_uk »

The puck first goes green, but then flashes green after 10 seconds or so.

The display shows 99% charge (in yellow), T4: 3.7V
Which is wrong, no way is this 99%. A fully charged LiIon is 4.2V until the charger is removed, anything less damages the battery.

Last time this happened I just waited but I'm sure it was solid green, not flashing. What does flashing mean?
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

jam_uk Wrote:
> The display shows 99% charge (in yellow), T4:
> 3.7V
> Which is wrong, no way is this 99%. A

Correct, it's not 99%. After a cold start, the software needs to be calibrated to a full battery once. That means charging for at least 4-6 hours. The charging circuity will tell the firmware that the battery is full, then the firmware resets the battery meter IC.

All this is required when the OSTC runs out of power completely because the battery is then automatically disconnected from the rest of the circuity and the battery meter looses it's values.

The charger has four different states:

1. short green flashes from time to time: idle
2. quick short green flashes: connecting to the receiver
3. steady, slow green flashes (1Hz) or constant green: charging
4. Red flashes: Overtemperature (>35°C). The charging will start again automatically when everything cooled down again. The threshold has been set from us to 35° intentionally to protect the battery from being harmed by charging it to hot. 35°C is way below the allowed max. temperature for our batteries

regards,
Matthias
jam_uk

Post by jam_uk »

In which case, if the fuel gauge is out of calibration (or in a recalibration mode), the battery percent should show 0%/???/CAL or some other value than 99% which is misleading to say the least.

Thanks for the list of puck LED states.

There is another puck state to add to the list;

Red flashing also meaning that it (for some reason) does not like a particular USB charger, it still charges but at a very-very slow rate. (the display battery percent also goes red)
About 50% of the available USB ports I have do this.