hwOS Tech: 3.01 released

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
heinrichsweikamp

hwOS Tech: 3.01 released

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

The new hwOS tech (for OSTC3, plus, cR, OSTC 2 and OSTC sport (mod. 19)) firmware 3.01 is now available for download:
https://heinrichsweikamp.com/service/firmwares

The following changes have been applied:

BUGFIX: Some language corrections
BUGFIX: Battery display in internal logbook
BUGFIX: Compass issues fixed

With the revised new battery menu this update is strongly recommended for all OSTC plus users but can be installed on other hwOS tech devices, as well.

Die neue hwOS tech Firmware 3.01 (für OSTC3, plus, cR, OSTC 2 und OSTC sport (mod. 19)) ist jetzt zum kostenlosen Download verfügbar:
https://heinrichsweikamp.com/service/firmwares

Die folgenden Änderungen wurden eingebaut:

- Kleinere Layout- und Textänderungen
- Batterieangaben im internen Logbuch gefixed
- Kompass-Problem behoben

Mit dem überarbeiteten "Neue Batterie" Menü ist dieses Update für alle OSTC plus Benutzer dringend angeraten aber es kann natürlich auch auf allen anderen hwOS tech kompatiblen Geräten installiert werden.

Details on hwOS: https://heinrichsweikamp.com/hw-os

How to install: read.php?6,14509

Regards,
Matthias
Ralph

Re: hwOS Tech: 3.00 released

Post by Ralph »

Hi all,

this Version is not yet the "big" update of the OSTC internal code but focuses on the battery issue. The bespoken "big" update will be named 3.02 then, work is ongoing...

best regards,
Ralph
Laurie_the_Knot

Re: hwOS Tech: 3.01 released

Post by Laurie_the_Knot »

Hi all,

I've just updated my OSTC2 to firmware 3.01. I went into the logbook section of the DC and to my dismay I found that the dive number has been reset to 1.

Having logged over 2000 dives I now have the laborious task of pressing the right button well over 200 times to restore the number shown to reflect my dive count.

Please please please consider adding an extra option to at least increment this count by 100 as well.

I'm aware there is limited space on the screen but as an alternative you could have one row with the increment, another row to add the increment and the last to decrement it. This way you would reduce the number of rows required by one and you could offer increments of 1, 10, 100 and 1000 without any extra effort.

I have a friend with the same model as me and he has done well over 5000 dives. Without the above being implemented I believe he would be VERY reluctant to upgrade to V3.01.
Happy diving,
Laurie (OSTC2 #11454)
dadefay

Post by dadefay »

Hi Laurie,

I have the same problem for each major release, so I found a trick : I adjust only 3 digits for the first dive, what is incredibly faster !

For example, instead of 2173, I go up to 173, then my brain just has to add a "2" before the displayed number, what is within its reach !

Best regards.
Didier A. Defay
OC trimix instructor / Trimix CCR diver
France

OSTC 2 #18835
- OSTC Plus #16077
-- OSTC 3+ #4806
--- OSTC 3 #3999
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Would it be ok to add a +100 Option only? That's easy to do, actually i just did it. :-)
Laurie_the_Knot

Hi Ralph,

Adding a +100 option would improve matters considerably.

However I feel a revision as I suggested would be a better choice if you were to be revising the module which contains this code. At least one code example similar to my suggestion exists in the software for the OSTC2N if I remember correctly.
Happy diving,
Laurie (OSTC2 #11454)
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Laurie,

hmmm... The +100 option just required the copy and subsequent slight modification of a few lines of code only. Opposit to that, your proposal requires some real brainwork to be applied! Well, let's see how the weather will be this weekend - the more rain, the more programming...

cheers,
Ralph
diverku

Post by diverku »

Wouldn't it be better to make the logbook offset available via read/write settings? Then, the firmware update tool could backup the configuration, update the firmware, and restore the original configuration...

Kai
Laurie_the_Knot

Hi Ralph,

I usually don't wish bad weather on anyone... However I hope it's bad weather this weekend where you are :)-D
Happy diving,
Laurie (OSTC2 #11454)
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Ralph, we just ordered new printed manuals. Please don't change too much now ;)

Matthias
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Oh - too late... :-)

Well, no problem: if you haven't added a screen shot showing the actual offset adjustment menu, the text from the current manual remains fully applicable!

Ralph

PS @Kai: the logbook offset is a 16 bit number. The settings system only supports 8 bit numbers, this is why the logbook offset is handled differently. Furthermore, it is stored along with the dive profile data etc. in a separate EEPROM chip, i.e. somewhere completely elsewhere than where all the settings reside in memory.
Kehrmaschine

Post by Kehrmaschine »

Hi Matthias

Is there a new manual in German soon available for download as well?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

It's already online: download here.

Ralph
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hello,

I have a bug with the update v3.01 tech on my OSTC2.
Saturday, my colleague and me have updated OSTC2 (v3.01).
Sunday morning first AIR dive : 41m, when the OSTC enters in DECO mode (after 7') I read 3m 1' and TTS 8'. It's surprising ?? (2' more)
End of the dive : STOP 3m 8'. After 8' I read 3m..' and TTS 1'. I'm continuated my STOP during 5'. But ever 3m..'
So I return to surface but Red STOP Alarm appears and flashed orange Depth Alarm appears.
After 1' on boat, TTS 0' appears
After 2' on boat : NO DECO (240') appears

Someone has already read this ??

Thanks
Yann

Post by Yann »

more precisions

OSTC's of my colleague said the same anomaly during the same dive (3m ..')

2nd dive (afternoon), same anomaly on the 2 OSTC : 3m..' after our STOP (3m 2'). So we have continuated during 5' without any change on the OSTC (ever 3m ..')

Thanks
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

3m .. means you have a deco obligation but it should disappear as you surface. Surprised it shows when you are at 3m, I have only seen it when at 30m and after 0 No Deco changed to 3m ..
Michael
Sydney
Australia
OSTC 2 11528
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Michael is right, the combination of a stop depth with a time of ".." means the tissues have a loading that does not allow instantaneous surfacing, but when following the set ascent rate, the deco obligation will vanish on the way up. This situation happens both, when transiting from NDL to deco and at the end of the deco when being cleard for surfacing. During the transition from NDL to deco this can be shown for several minutes, whereas at the end of the deco this display normally comes up for just a few seconds and then "NDL 240" is shown.

In your case the ascent calculation reveals you are almost at the end of the deco, but at current depth the tissues do not off-gas, hence "3m .." does not go away. That's highly unnormal and may be caused by a mismatch between the measured depth (ambient pressure = current surface pressure + water pressure at 3m) and the surface pressure that was memorised before the dive begun. Did you dive at altitude or at sea level? Did you use gradient factors (which)? What were the other OSTC settings - the red depth display indicates a ppO2 low alarm, so what were the gas and deco mode settings?

BR
Ralph
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hello,

GF 80/80
Dive at sea level
Gaz : AIR
low PpO2 : 0.17b
max PpO2 : 1.6b

I simulated 2 dives today. Each time, after end of my stop obligation, the 3m..' appears during 4'30'' and 5'30''

Yann
jlm

Post by jlm »

Ralph wrote:

... During the transition from NDL to deco this can be shown for several minutes, whereas at the end of the deco this display normally comes up for just a few seconds and then "NDL 240" is shown. ...

I tried to simulate the issue at hand using GF 80/80, 42m depth, air. Yes, the transition from NDL 0, to 3m ..., to 3m 1' takes some minutes, and I stayed bit longer to get 3m 3' of deco. Then ascend to 3m depth. I still had 2' left arriving @3m. Stayed there, after 2', the display changed to 3... but I still had a ceiling of 1.7m depth at that moment. Not sure what the used planned ascent speed is in this shallow area, but it seems that its very low (as in 1m/m or something), as that 1.7m ceiling would never clear in a "few seconds" as Ralph's suggestion what likely will happen. The TTS was 1' all the time at the phase with 3... deco, so that suggests a planned ascent speed of 3m/min. I waited @3m for the 3... to disappear, and that took at least 90 seconds, over which the ceiling dropped to 0.0m depth. However, reading the code, it seems that the planned ascend speed is 10m/min, and as it takes 18 seconds to do a 3m ascend, it is clear that there is "something" going on here. As it took at least 90 seconds to get the ceiling from 1.7 to 0.0m, the 20 second ascent will not clear this.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi, cool analysis done!

True, the ascent speed that is used in ascent calculation is 10 m/min (with the next release it will be configurable between 5 and 10 m/min).

Anyhow, there is another factor in the deco calculation that had been introduced way in the past and that is likely to be thrown out in favour of giving complete control to the GF settings: the deco calculation assumes that you are 1 meter deeper than you actually are. So while you are hanging at 3 meters, the deco calculation calculates the offgassing under the assumption that you are at 4 meters. If hanging at 6 meters, calcuating with 7 meters doesn't make a big deal, especially on high O2 % mixes. But at 3 meters on air, there's the max impact. But as said - that's likely be elimiated in the next release.

By the way: ".." had been choosen because the remaining time is 0 mins. We had once been asked to print out the remaining time in seconds, but that won't work because of two reasons: First, if you go up and down by a few centimeters only, the seconds would respond with rocking up and down like crasy. And secondly, all the deco theory involved isn't that preceise anyhow. :-)

safe diving,
Ralph
jam_uk

Re: hwOS Tech: 3.01 released - Compass issue

Post by jam_uk »

hi,

OSTC2TR Tech.
Just upgraded from 2.98 to 3.01. Compass now only points North.

Image attached.

North
Still North

Suggestions?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

You need to do a new calibration, the last one was lost during the update. That happens when there are heavy changes regarding the overall number of options incorporated in the Firmware. That is the case from 2.98 and previous to 2.99 and up.
jam_uk

Post by jam_uk »

Hi Ralph
Thanks that worked. I was worried it was broken.

Perhaps if the cal values are void, the firmware should put "COMPASS CAL REQ" in place of "0.00N"
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi, that text won't fit into the available screen space, but the next firmware will show dashes (---) when the compass is inop.
Gizmo94

Post by Gizmo94 »

Hi all,

I am trying to update my OSTC file to version 3.01 from version 2.98 with OSTC Companion.
The process starts and fails at 20% of the download with the following message:
[pre]
Erase the firmware.
Download firmware.
Bad answer to the message (1)
Error: Invalid message response
[/pre]

I have already made updates and this is the first time I have this error.
If anyone has a solution ...

Best regards,
Gizmo94