hwOS Tech: 3.03 beta 1 released

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
heinrichsweikamp

hwOS Tech: 3.03 beta 1 released

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi everyone,

Attached to this post is the latest 3.03 beta 1 for the hwOS tech enabled OSTC's.

303_beta_DE_2_tr_ostc3_firmware.hex: German Language including code and RX Firmware 1.38 for OSTC 2 TR
303_beta_EN_2_tr_ostc3_firmware.hex: English Language including code and RX Firmware 1.38 for OSTC 2 TR
303_beta_DE_3_cr_ostc3_firmware.hex: German Language including code for external O2 Monitoring (OSTC cR, OSTC3)
303_beta_EN_3_cr_ostc3_firmware.hex: English Language including code for external O2 Monitoring (OSTC cR, OSTC3)

So, what's new in this Version? A lot. Is the update required for everyone? No, this is preliminary version ("BETA") of the next release and is intend for everyone involved in the development of the OSTC computers. Most changes and new features were implemented after customer requests.

The new big layout mode, the "extended stops" option (To have the gas changes at fixed depths or variable depending on your deco profile) including TR update in the tech version, new (optional) tissue graphics and much faster boot into dive mode are only a few of the new features.

Have fun testing!

Matthias

From the release notes:

- Improvement of code for CNS calculation.
- Added a hysteresis to the dive start / dive end depth threshold.
- Added an option "extended stops" (named "Gas Change/...before 1.Stop" in Deco Setup
-> Deco Parameters -> more). If set to YES, a gas switch will be planned immediately
on the change depth of the gas, even if a stop on that depth is not required by deco
constraints. When set to NO, the gas switch will be planned to be done on the next
regular deco stop.
With extended stops enabled and a setting of "Gas Change (time):+0'" the switch will
be planned with no actual halt at the change depth (i.e. "switch on the fly"). With
change time set to > 0', a dedicated stop will be placed at the change depth for the
given number of minutes. This gas change stop may not be needed by deco constraints,
but it will influence the following deco stop depths and times as it introduces some
added time at depth.
- Complete rework of the alternative dive mode screen layout.
- Included RX firmware update into tech version.
- When switching between GF and aGF, the depth of the first stop (determined by GF low)
will be recalculated now.
- Improved calculation of the supersaturation.
- New tissue graphics option (compile option as of now): shows absolute tissue pressures
(N2 + He added) and saturation per tissue. In the saturation bargraphs, the green line
marks GF low position, the yellow line GF high and the red one 100%.
- Numerous improvements around dive loop and deco engine start-up.
- GF low can not be set higher than GF high any more as such a setting would produce
an illogical deco schedule.
- In case the compass is not calibrated, the heading is now displayed as "---°"
instead of ".00°".
- If any tissue is beyond 100%, no desaturation and no-fly times will be shown anymore.
- The Deco Engine has been reworked to now run for up to 700 ms each second (configurable,
800 ms may be feasible also), split into two compute chunks per second. This increases
reactivity to buttons presses and compass display, while boosting deco calculation turn-
around times significantly.
- The simulator now uses the current ambient pressure as surface pressure instead of a fixed
1.000 hPa as done before. So in mountain diving, when being at the dive site the simulator
will show the same NDL times and deco schedules as will be shown in a real dive.
- When exiting the surface menu, the return to the normal surface screen has been sped up
and the display of the power-up logo screen is skipped now also.
- When submerged, the unit will now proceed from surface mode display to dive mode display
without intermediate display of the power-up logos.
- A cue is given when it is time to go up to th next deco stop by highlighting the next stop
data until ascent is done.
- When being shallower than the indicated stop depth, i.e. because the deco needs to be
accelerated, the reduced ambient pressure is figured in into the deco calculations such
that the displayed stop time, TTS and gas needs do immediately reflect the reduced depth.
- When set to imperial units, all depth will be shown in feet now not only in dive mode but
also throughout the whole surface menus.
- When in a leap year, the 29th of February is now correctly handled when adjusting time and
date on exactly that day.
- Bugfix: with the option 'always show ppO2' set, in CCR and pSCR mode a "Dil:x.xx" ppO2
message was sometimes shown twice, once as an info and additionally as an attention or
warning. This has been fixed now: in case of an active attention or warning the secondary
info message gets suppressed.
- Bugfix: the Simulator +5 min function had a punch-through effect on the real world last
dive time (displayed surface interval).
- Tissue desaturation is now also computed while in surface and menu modes.
dadefay

Re: hwOS Tech: 3.03 beta 1 released

Post by dadefay »

Hi HW,

I've updated my OSTC Plus with this beta 1. A first strange behaviour : in the logbook, the left column indicates 999 for all dives, instead of the dive number, although the logbook offset is correctly set.

Best regards.
Didier A. Defay
OC trimix instructor / Trimix CCR diver
France

OSTC 2 #18835
- OSTC Plus #16077
-- OSTC 3+ #4806
--- OSTC 3 #3999
heinrichsweikamp

Log-Offset > 1000, I assume?

regards,
Matthias
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Thanks, confirmed. It happens when the offset is > the total number of dives in the lookbook. I'll fix that.

Ralph
dadefay

Post by dadefay »

Thanks Matthias and Ralph (I confirm >>> 1000).

Kind regards.
Didier A. Defay
France

OSTC 2 #18835
- OSTC Plus #16077
-- OSTC 3+ #4806
--- OSTC 3 #3999
jlm

Post by jlm »

Installed this on an OSTC Plus, and ran the simulator:

1) Something nice to have: when doing increase or decrease depth in the sim, the menu says at the same point. So, you can click multiple times with the right button to increase/decrease depth. However, when you to sim+5' the menu resets, so when you want to do +15' in total, a lot of clicking is involved. Verified this on 3.0.1, exact same behavior, so not introduced here.

2) in the sim: ascend speed shows 9m/min. Expected 10m/min (as set in settings). Same for descend speed (19m/min instead of 20m/min, but not sure this can be set somewhere in the settings, that is, on the device).

3) In CCR fixed setpoint mode sim dive. I saw a B/O gas warning. Can I suppress that somewhere in the settings?

4) Bug: In the simulator, select 42m as max depth, start sim, immediately to a +5', see that the divetime increases but the depth (that is still descending to its target depth) does not increase. So, its not in correspondence any more with the divetime).

5) Likely bug. Again in sim (all in this post is sim dive). CCR fixed setpoint mode. GF set to 40/90. Now, get some deco (like 30 min TTS), ascend (9m/min) to the deepest stop shown. When arriving there, I expect saturation to be a little over 40%, but its (for my profile to 42m) about 30%. Feels wrong to me.

That's it for now.

--jan
heinrichsweikamp

Here I have an image of the new (optional selectable) tissue graphic:

[img]https://forum.heinrichsweikamp.com/file ... =sim37.png[/img]

In this mode, the N2 and He tissues are not separated but combined and you can see the different thresholds with the colour markers below the 16 tissues.

The green line marks GF low position (Saturation of the leading tissue at the first decompression stop, the yellow line GF high (Saturation of the leading tissue at the surface after doing all the stops) and the red one 100%.

Following a normal decompression schedule, the leading tissue will always be between green and yellow with the number of the leading tissue shown as a figure.

regards,
Matthias
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Jan,

thanks for sharing your observations!

1) i'll try out if everything will work smooth if the +5min option can be triggered rapidly in succession...

2) The descent and ascent speeds in the simulator are actually hard coded, very deep in the interrupt handler where in sim mode the pressure from the real sensor is replaced by the simulated value. It's actually that deep down in the code that one doesn't want to have variable speed calculation there. On the pro side, it helps a lot while testing cos so much of the real dive mode code is executed in sim mode now, too. Before, the depth jumped up and down, which fuzzed up with the indicated deco stops that are calculated on the basis of the set ascent speed. That's why in the past you typically arrived at the first stop with the supersaturation > GF low - the simulated ascent was just too fast. Now with a setting of 9 or 10 m/min things do match quite nicely.
It's 9 meters (sometimes it leapes to 12 meters every now and then) because that gives a constant increment on the simulated pressure value on each sensor polling interrupt and thus is the solution with the tiniest code interference.
Descent speed can't be configured, as it is nowhere else used in normal OSTC calculations.

3) The B/O (Bailout) Gas warning is given when you have no bailout (OC) gas whose configuration matches your current depth. This warning can not be suppressed - just don't dive into regions where you don't have a bailout means. When this warning appears, the OSTC will also don't calculate a bailout ascent any more because it can't find a gas to start with.

4) That's as per design and a tribute to the reasoning given in point 2. The +5 mins are just added where you currently are...

5) As said before, SAT > GF low was due to too fast ascent in simulation. That's eliminated now. What you now see is that the first stop is not placed exactly at the depth were SAT becomes GF low, but at the next multiple of 3 meters below. To give an example: SAT = GF low calculated to be at 15.3 meters -> stop will be shown as 18 meters. At 18 meters, SAT is < GF low then.

During the ascent from stop to stop you will see the leading tissue making it's way from the green GF low marking to the yellow GF high marking in the new tissue graphics, as Matthias wrote above. Furthermore, when you set GF low = GF high, you can nicely see how the stops are cleared every time the ceiling depth passes the current stop depth.

BR
Ralph
jlm

Post by jlm »

Thanks for your explanations Ralph.

ad 2) I somehow expected the the ascend speed from the deco parameters was used, but I understand the rationale here.

ad 3) My bad. I had a proper OC B/O gas defined for the given depth but it had type "disabled". Interestingly, you can switch (manually, not via a short menu path) to a disabled gas, so it feels a bit inconsistent that you are able to switch to it, but still get a non-suppressible warning on it. This said, the solution is simple. Set your B/O gasses to travel, instead of disabled.

ad 4) Yes, here the OSTC4 simulator functionality tricked me :-)

ad 5) Ok, also here a small difference with the OCTC4 behavior. With a GF low reached at 15.3m, an OSTC4 will let you ascend you to 15m, and slightly overshoot GF low. It can be a bit of a formal discussion what is right and what is wrong. Typically, the deepest stop is very short (mostly less than 1 minute, rounded up on display to 1 minute), so when stopping at 18m, the stop will clear very likely within 1 minute. Simply not important from a practical deco point of view.

--jan
algo

Post by algo »

Hi,

can i install the Beta on my Ostc2 for testing and than go back to 3.01 without loosing any of my configuration/ setup / data?

Alex
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

3.01 and 3.03 use the same option's database version, so: yes for the configuration. The logbook is independend of firmware updates anyhow.
algo

Post by algo »

Hi Ralph,

thanks. Update worked.

The new tissue graph is great! And the new option for Layout big / normal is also great. Could it be, that the OSTC2 is more responsive than before?

When looking at the surface mode and the simulator: Will it be possible to have the new tissue graph in dive mode in the same size (somewhere) like in surface mode?

Alex
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hi Matthias & Ralph,
That's all good ... it puts salt water on our lips ... But why not test v3.03 beta version in French, it would be good too ... Very impatient to download ...
Regards (tu) X(
Cheers ;)
ClaudeDive ><)))))°> OSTC3 #2430 <°(((((><
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Alex,

thanks for your feedback! This graphics was made because it was the missing link to make it more visible what tissue saturation and GFs is all about. It's actually not intended to be used too much on a real dive, but to be a valuable training tool to be used while sitting on the sofa at home and running different deco profiles in the simulator.
Surface and dive mode graphics are actually nearly the same, mainly scaled to the individual room that's available to the custom views in both modes. So giving it more size in dive mode would require a complete redesign of the whole dive mode screen layout - and that's not planed to be done. Actually it's already as of now used up to the last pixel...

More responsive? It's got a turbo now! In previous version it took at minimum 3 seconds for a complete update of all deco data, so with fTTS enabled round trip time was >= 6 seconds. Now, while being between about 180 min NDL and about 10 mins into deco, that's all done within 1 second! Furthermore, button presses are looked after more often now. It's all result of an extensive optimisation of the OSTC's timing and scheduling system.

BR
Ralph
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Claude,

French version is ready to be compiled, just some translations are missing still. Will you help us finding the right words to be put into the language table?

Thx,
Ralph
dadefay

Post by dadefay »

Hi Ralph,

As usual, I'm ok to help you in french translation (with Claude, if he's available).

Regards.
Didier A. Defay
France

OSTC 2 #18835
- OSTC Plus #16077
-- OSTC 3+ #4806
--- OSTC 3 #3999
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Of course Ralph, as I have always done for previous versions, at your disposal for translations on my email or on the forum,
Regards
Cheers ;)
ClaudeDive ><)))))°> OSTC3 #2430 <°(((((><
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Didier,

the > 1000 dives in logbook is fixed, it will ship with the first batch of updated French language pack (see seperate post). Due to space restrictions the logbook list is limited to 3 digits for the dive number, so it was intended to suppress the thousands and not to saturate at 999 - just picked the wrong output function.

Ralph
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

Today I did a 46 metre dive. The computer still does not take deco gases into account when showing TTS till you actually swap over. Also, the deco time for last stop went from 4 mins @ 4 m to cleared in one go. Why?
Michael
Sydney
Australia
OSTC 2 11528
Spacefish

Post by Spacefish »

What information is expressed by the blue lines below the compartment saturation graph? Current desaturation speed? Or is this a bug?

[img]https://forum.heinrichsweikamp.com/file ... ressed.jpg[/img]
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Spacefish,

according to the release notes, it says:
- New tissue graphics option: shows absolute tissue pressures (N2 + He added) and saturation per tissue. In the saturation bargraphs, the green line marks GF low position, the yellow line GF high and the red one 100%.

So it's the (relative) supersaturations per tissue.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Michael,

did you activate the extended stops? Also read from the release notes:

- Added an option "extended stops" (named "Gas Change/...before 1.Stop" in Deco Setup -> Deco Parameters -> more). If set to YES, a gas switch will be planned immediately on the change depth of the gas, even if a stop on that depth is not required by deco constraints. When set to NO, the gas switch will be planned to be done on the next regular deco stop.

With extended stops enabled and a setting of "Gas Change (time):+0'" the switch will be planned with no actual halt at the change depth (i.e. "switch on the fly", "stop" time will be shown as ".."). With change time set to > 0', a dedicated stop will be placed at the change depth for the given number of minutes. This gas change stop may not be needed by deco constraints, but it will influence the following deco stop depths and times as it introduces some added time at depth.

For the other part fo the questions, well, some tiny bunch of information on settings and profile would help in answering.

BR
Ralph
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

See profile below. Note that at end of deco showing 4 mins @ 4 metres and then nothing.

Settings
Bottom mix: NX26
Deco mix: NX 61 with change set for 13 m
GF: 30/85
Sat/desat: 100%
Last deco: 4 m
Gas change: +1
before1.stop: +1

Note that first deco stop was 1 @ 9, not 1 @ 4 like it used to be. As I had set gas change to be 13 m, I could understand if it was 13 m, but 9m?

Hope this helps.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/images3/tuggerah-profile.jpg
Michael
Sydney
Australia
OSTC 2 11528
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Jan,

you wrote:
Something nice to have: when doing increase or decrease depth in the sim, the menu stays at the same point. So, you can click multiple times with the right button to increase/decrease depth. However, when you do sim+5' the menu resets, so when you want to do +15' in total, a lot of clicking is involved. Verified this on 3.0.1, exact same behavior, so not introduced here.

I checked it out and it is possible to hold that option open for multiple clicks. It will ship with one of the next betas.

BR
Ralph
jlm

Post by jlm »

Hi Ralph,

nice, makes live a little more easy to simulate dives.

Not sure how familiar you are with the OSTC4 code and its simulator. There is another nice feature called "follow decostops on ascent". This let you automatically do the ascent in the simulator, without user interaction, to the surface following the planned deco schedule. But I guess this is not something that can easily be added in hwOS tech.

--jan