OSTC Plus Battery question

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Sonaryr

OSTC Plus Battery question

Post by Sonaryr »

Hi all

Last weekend I wanted to go diving after a long holiday. I knew there were issues with the software so I wanted to update it before diving.
Problem was I could not boot the computer (not even with reinserting the battery), so I replaced the battery with a normal non rechargeable AA battery. This worked without a hitch and I was able to update the firmware to the latest version and do my dive.
But here's the issue now, I would love to put my rechargeable battery back (which I guessed was completly drained), charge it and reuse it. But I can't select the rechargeable option when putting in the battery since it is drained completly, so it won't charge my drained battery.

What can I do to fix this problem? I would really love to make it rechargeable again.

PS: I will be comming to Boot (Dusseldorf), so if needed I can bring it along over there if needed.

Kind regards,
Maarten
Ralph

Re: OSTC Plus Battery question

Post by Ralph »

Hi Maarten,

if a rechargeable battery has been fully drained, it may have become damaged. The OSTC monitors the battery voltage, and before deplepting the battery beyond deep discharge level, it disconnects all electronics from the battery in order to prevent the above. The OSTC also does not charge batteries whose voltage is down below a certain safety level as they are likely to be damaged then as said above. You can give your battery a last chance by trying a recharge with an external battery charger suitable for your type of battery. Anyhow, for a dive computer, we do not recommend using batteries of unknown health state. So best would be to replace the battery. Spare batteries are available via the HW online shop.

merry Xmas,
Ralph
Sonaryr

Post by Sonaryr »

Hi Ralph,

Thanks, merry Christmas for you as well.
I was afraid for this. Will you also have them with you at Boot?

Kind regards,
Maarten
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi Maarten,
Sonaryr wrote: Tuesday 24. December 2019, 09:28 I was afraid for this. Will you also have them with you at Boot?
Sorry for the delay here. Due to the parallel running "interdive" and the distribution of visitors and exhibitors, the next year is economically too risky for us. A slightly shorter fair is in our interest, but to do this at the same time is of course completely stupid and probably the result of some personal disgruntlement of certain fair participants. So we'll wait and see how the situation develops and then decide on 2021 then.

We'll use the money saved 1:1 for further development and new products.

Write me a short mail about the battery, we will get this done quickly and free of charge.

Regards,
Matthias