OSTC Plus Bluetooth Pairing problem - Android

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Nowhereman

OSTC Plus Bluetooth Pairing problem - Android

Post by Nowhereman »

I've encountered a problem with pairing my OSTC plus with other devices. It was previously paired with them but I haven't used it for a few months and replaced the battery recently. When I set the OSTC to bluetooth mode it is only visible in my Android phone, it's not an option on either my chromebook or iPad. The Android phone will then not pair with it, I can press it but nothing happens. The very first time it did connect but then dropped a second later, since then it's just visible as a device.

The Plus is running firmware v3.01. I've searched but can't find solutions or issues like this on this forum or wider googling. How can I pair my computer to update the firmware and continue downloading dives (whenever we can start that again).
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC Plus Bluetooth Pairing problem - Android

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

For iPhone/iPad issues, please check our FAQ: https://heinrichsweikamp.com/service/faq
The iPhone does not show the OSTC
This is normal, the iOS Bluetooth settings do not display the OSTC. To connect to an iPhone you need a suitable app, e.g. Subsurface Mobile or OSTConf. The OSTC can then also be selected in the apps.
In Android, try disabling/enabling the Bluetooth in the Phone and try again. This will likely solve this.

regards,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Thanks Mattias. I tried turning off/on the bluetooth but it didn't have any effect. Forgetting the device in my phone's list of devices seemed to help and it will find it and I can pair successfully. However about 3 seconds after pairing the OSTC disconnects and it won't reconnect. I have repaired it 4 or 5 times and the same thing happens each time.

I have also tried it with a Windows laptop (don't tell my work ;) ) which had some issues but OSTC companion v3.2.1 has eventually been able to connect and successfully update. I still need to solve the Android connection issue though as I don't take the work laptop out on dive trips!
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Just an update: After a few more attempts the phone seems to pair and stay connected to the OSTC Plus (shows connected as a bluetooth device) but the computer doesn't seem to acknowledge the connection and neither subsurface nor HWOS app can detect it. The OSTC Plus is now on 3.08 and the Android phone is a Pixel 2XL using the latest version of Android.
heinrichsweikamp

Does it show up in the HWOS Config dropdown list at all?

Regards,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

No, HWOS has what I assume is its starting screen - There's the bluetooth button on the top left but nothing appears in the drop down. Subsurface also doesn't detect anything (Although I have connected before and it still shows up as an option used previously).
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Hi Matthias, still haven't had any luck with connecting to my Android mobile.
heinrichsweikamp

Try with a different phone to rule out the OSTC (Or confirm the issue must be in the OSTC).

Regards,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

I've tried it with a Samsung Android phone and had the same behaviour. When it's in pairing mode, I can see the OSTC and pair with it, it then shows as connected in the phone but the OSTC doesn't seem to register a connection. Apps like subsurface or HWos can't detect it either. Once it's paired with the phone, I can't connect, clicking on the OSTC registers a press but nothing happens.

I have a chromebook as well, that seems to have the same behaviour. I can see the OSTC and pair with it but get a message that it failed to connect when I try to connect. So far I have only succeeded connecting with a Windows 10 laptop.
heinrichsweikamp

Hallo,

Dann resette mal den Bluetooth-Chip im OSTC:
- Reboot über das Reset menü auslösen
- während das Logo und das "Play" Icon angezeigt werden:
- wiederholt und kräftig auf die rechte Taste drücken
- wenn das Bluetooth-Icon erscheint den OSTC mit der linken Taste neu starten

Damit werden alle Paarungen im OSTC gelöscht und Du kannst es erneut probieren.

Gruß,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Hi Matthias,

I translated the post but have a problem: I selected 'reboot' from the reset menu. The play icon appeared but didn't get the bluetooth icon to appear. I tried pressing the right button vigorously and second time I tried the left button but the OSTC plus just rebooted normally. I tried re-pairing but I don't think the bluetooth has been reset.

Is there a specific reset option I should choose or is there anything else I should be trying to press when it is rebooting?
heinrichsweikamp

Sorry, I copied the wrong language (This was from our FAQ):

Reset the Bluetooth chip in the OSTC:
- Reboot via the reset menu
- while the logo and "Play" icon are displayed:
- Press the right button repeatedly and firmly (The button sensitivity settings are ignored in this mode)
- You really need to press the button hard and quickly
- when the Bluetooth icon appears restart the OSTC with the left button

This will delete all pairings in the OSTC and you can try again.

Regards,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Thank you Matthias, I tried again and managed to reset the bluetooth radio. The OSTC shows up with a different name (matches the model #) but there's no change in behaviour.

I reset again, restarted the phone and the Chromebook. This time the phone gave a communication error the first couple of times I tried to pair, then again it paired for a few seconds before dropping. HWos now though does show the OSTC as an option (previously everything was blank) That's the only improvement though.
heinrichsweikamp

Nowhereman wrote: Saturday 6. June 2020, 01:38 HWos now though does show the OSTC as an option (previously everything was blank) That's the only improvement though.
I asume you mean HWOSConfig with "HWos"? What happens if you tap on the connect icon now?

Regards,
Matthias
Nowhereman

Post by Nowhereman »

Hi Matthias, I tried again resetting everything. This time HWOS did connect and so did subsurface. I've tried rebooting the phone and OSTC and it seems to still be working so that reset does seem to have worked. Thank you for the instructions!
heinrichsweikamp

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Matthias