OSTC3 screen died while Bt-pairing?

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Poltsi

OSTC3 screen died while Bt-pairing?

Post by Poltsi »

Was pairing my unit in Linux when it in the middle of everything went blank.

After that pressing both buttons simultaneously only results in the red led blinking for a brief moment and the display backlight turns on for about 5 minutes.

Measured the Saft-battery voltage, was ok (3.6V, the unit had previously shown about 72% status for it).

Swapped in a fresh Saft battery, same result.

When a battery is connected, the following sequence happens every time:
1. screen background light turns on and the green led turns on for ~4 seconds
2. Backlight still on, and the red led flashes
3. Backlight turns off for about 3 seconds
4. Backlight turns on again (visible when looking at screen at an extreme angle (or in complete darkness)

Now if both buttons are pressed, the red led flashes and the backlight turns on for a couple of minutes. My guess is that something in the display circuit gave up while the unit sat on the lid of my laptop. The strange thing is that the unit had been dry for over a month.

I was doing the pairing in Linux after a failed attempt to get the Bt to work at all in Windows (and Subsurface), this, I guess, could be an indication of more broad electronic failure.

If nothing else, could someone with a OSTC3 kindly give me the button press sequence to enable the Bt connection (firmware version is 3.0.8), so that I can attempt to rescue my dive logs, assuming the unit only has a broken display?

Thanks,

Poltsi
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC3 screen died while Bt-pairing?

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

We don't have a fix for this here and can not really tell what happened. BT and the screen have not much in common in the OSTC3. But we can diagnose this at our place, of course. Please email us directly: info@heinrichsweikamp.com and we get this sorted.

regards,
Matthias