OSTC Sport - button stuck in depressed position

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
mark_cebu

OSTC Sport - button stuck in depressed position

Post by mark_cebu »

Hi,
I have a later model OSTC sport with the blue buttons. It was purchased mid-last year but only used recently due to the pandemic. It has been used on 10-12 dives. It has been thoroughly rinsed in freshwater after each dive.

Today, after not diving for about three weeks, when entering the water, the right button (as worn on the wrist during a dive) would not depress easily. As I entered the water I depressed it a bit more forcefully and it then became stuck in the depressed position and it will not release back. It still functioned, though unhappily, during the dive. After the dive, due to the button being stuck in the pressed position, it cycled endlessly through menu options and would not quit. I removed the battery and it has been soaking in fresh water for a few hours now. Thus far the button is still stuck in the depressed position and it does not appear that it will easily become unstuck.

If there are any ideas on how to fix this, please please let me know.

Many thanks,
Mark
mark_cebu

Re: OSTC Sport - button stuck in depressed position

Post by mark_cebu »

So just in case anyone else has this issue...after about 6 hours of soaking in luke warm fresh water and some finessing the button returned back to the normal position and is functioning properly. I can only assume there was some salt that was causing it to stick. Beyond just soaking after a dive it is likely a good idea to press the buttons up and down in fresh water repeatedly to ensure enough fresh water gets into the button cavity.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC Sport - button stuck in depressed position

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

You can safely remove the backplate of the unit (no o-ring involved) and clean the buttons. We have a short video here:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2583645938565261
Regards,
Matthias