Bailout and returning to CCR

The big one
swissdiving

Bailout and returning to CCR

Post by swissdiving »

I am asking the CCR diver community who are using the OSTC4 on their thoughts of the Menu Setup for the Bailout.
As I am a newbie with the CCR, we are training bailouts which means switching back and forth on the OSTC between CCR mode (sensor) and Bailout/SetPoint. Switching back to the "sensors" is done by going into SetPoint and choosing Sensor, which is all the way at the bottom of the available SetPoints.

A bailout is a rare occurrence, there is always the possibility of resolving the issue which lead to the bailout.

On the OSTC4 the place in the Menu where we have to switch back to the normal CCR mode is not where one would ordinarily expect it and is not the easiest way to get to.

What are the thoughts of the experience CCR divers? Where in the menu would you like to see this option placed (or is it good where it is)?

@Matthias
What is the rational for placing the option to switch back to normal CCR mode where it is now?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Bailout and returning to CCR

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

swissdiving wrote: Sunday 14. March 2021, 08:23 @Matthias
What is the rational for placing the option to switch back to normal CCR mode where it is now?
There was room for it :-) In my opinion, the return from Bailout to CCR is a rare occurrence in real life. The most common menu items (toggle the fixed setpoints and go into bailout) are at the top of the menu for quick access. While it's required to safely continue your dive, operating the computer in a bailout/no bailout scenario is less important than it seems. You can safely operate the computer once the actual issue (switching between the CCR and the OC regulator and then back) when you have the time for it. A few minutes with the wrong ppO2, ppHe and ppN2 feeding into the deco algorithm does not change much for the resulting deco schedule.

Regards,
Matthias
swissdiving

Re: Bailout and returning to CCR

Post by swissdiving »

Thumbs Up
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM