New firmware 2.54beta

Legacy OSTC's
swissdiving

Re: New firmware 2.54beta

Post by swissdiving »

So wouldn't the DR5 be better suited as a backup? After all it already contains the features you are looking for?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
smcmullan

Post by smcmullan »

No

This could be a long answer and I think we've already discussed some of this before. I'm completely guessing here but you're coming across like you are suggesting that the distinction between OSTC and DR5 is based on the distinction between OC and CCR. I do not believe that at all.

Of course only HW can state their definitive position for the products in the market however I am noticing some trends. I think divers are no longer interested in paying €1500 for a computer. Witness the scramble by Liquivision and Shearwater to offer fully functional compact computers in the €750 price range. You may not agree with this money aspect to this but you'd be hard pressed to deny the trend.

Apart from the price the DR5 is overkill for my needs. I had no need of the P02 monitoring. I have no need of a computer capable of running a bubble model. I have no need of a linux workstation on my wrist :-)

It will be interesting to see what happens to the DR5 in future and what the next incarnation of the OSTC MK2/2N will look like. It would not surprise me if the DR5 is discontinued and the OSTC 3X perhaps increase in spec now that the Frog product is in place. Pure conjecture on my part of course.

I also mentioned in the past that the OSTC software has far more users and peer review than either the HW firmware for the DR5 or the V-planner/Multideco live and I have a definite interest in proven software for the diving I do.

Anyways this is all bit of an abstract argument. I commented in another thread that I see no problem in the OSTC doing what it was designed for i.e. multi use in the 0m - 120m range, OC or CCR all fine and trying to limit the usage is a bit like fighting the tide. I really don't see why this is such a threat to anyones way of life ;-)

Hope that explains...
Stephen McMullan
Dublin, Ireland
OSTC MK2 #850
www.technicaldiving.ie
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

smcmullan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really don't see why this is
> such a threat to anyones way of life ;-)

It's only a threat to HW's life... (:D Because it's not just "adding two more GF's to the source code", it's way more behind the scene. Changes in the source code can lead to problems, everything has to be checked and checked again and tested, even before a beta-release of the new firmware is made... And don't forget: As long as we have beta-firmwares, our OSTC's are not mentioned for diving...

I'm not talking against feature development. I just want to say that it is worth to think about effort and benefit of any changes, improvements and so on...
regards,
scubatinoo

> OSTC 2N 3705 & OSTC 2 18807 <
smcmullan

Post by smcmullan »

And I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that all of this is only user feedback and the users of this forum have zero control over HW product development. HW will take what they like and ignore the rest so there is absolutely no point in restricting suggestions and even less point arguing or worrying about it ;)
Stephen McMullan
Dublin, Ireland
OSTC MK2 #850
www.technicaldiving.ie
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Moving around menu items is easy, the major issue here is that we supply printed manuals with the units (And these aren't no longer correct then, which is a real problem for new users).

Cheers,
Matthias
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User »

smcmullan Wrote:
> computer. Witness the scramble by Liquivision and
> Shearwater to offer fully functional compact
> computers in the €750 price range. You may not

I have used a XEO last weekend in parallel to my Mk.2, I had to laugh from the start to the end of the dive. The display flickers like hell, is much smaller and not half a bright, the tap interface is just bad and the menus are crap. I'm not afraid of HW here :-)

Jo
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

> multi use in the 0m - 120m range, OC or CCR all
> fine and trying to limit the usage is a bit like
> fighting the tide. I really don't see why this is
> such a threat to anyones way of life ;-)

Besides not having a Fischer bulkhead we're not limiting the OSTC at all?! Any examples, please?

Cheers,
Matthias
smcmullan

Post by smcmullan »

No examples whatsoever.

The comment was made in reference to discussion (depth limits, additional bailout gases, diluent switches, GF switching etc etc) with other forums members on CCR support of the OSTC and the tendency where I keep getting told that I should be using a DR5 simply because I'm a CCR diver and the DR5 is the "CCR computer" which I disagree with as explained above. Nothing to do with how HW have actually implemented the products. I haven't seen HW do anything to suggest there is any limitation of support for CCR divers in the OSTC. B)

Of course you can buy my silence and compliance by sending me a DR5 for "testing" :D
Stephen McMullan
Dublin, Ireland
OSTC MK2 #850
www.technicaldiving.ie
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

heinrichsweikamp Wrote:
>...that we supply printed manuals with the
> units (And these aren't no longer correct then,
> which is a real problem for new users).

Aren't printed manuals somehow outdated? (:P)

Just an idea: Supply only a quickstart guide for the first dive and a hint to an online version of the full manual. OK, you have to do the manual anyway, but this will save you some printing costs...
regards,
scubatinoo

> OSTC 2N 3705 & OSTC 2 18807 <
Bardass

Post by Bardass »

Bardass
Vassilis

Post by Vassilis »

Bardass Wrote:
> you can find some manuals here : (in french, sorry
> !)

Excellent !
Je viens d' acquerir un MK2 et j'avais plain de questions auxquelles, maintenant, j'ai les reponses !