Any english discussions here

Legacy OSTC's
TGreaves

Any english discussions here

Post by TGreaves »

I am very interested in this dive computer and would like some english feedback about it.. Anyone in here speak english?
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Any english discussions here

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

Currently, only a few prototypes are available so will be not much feedback from users at this point.

Regards,
Matthias Heinrichs, HeinrichsWeikamp
uvbraze

Post by uvbraze »

Hi All,
I too am also interested in this device. Its an idea that should've been instituted a long time ago. I like the idea of understanding what is making life changing decisions for me so that I may have a say in it. This is a great idea. I'll support the effeort in any way I can.

Ray
Drager Dolphin SCR
MaciejKa

Post by MaciejKa »

Hi,

Just received my #22 :-) So far I've played only with user interface and simulator, swimming pool test planned for next week, real diving in early February (sigh).

OK, my first impressions:
1. Small unit, seems that it won't interfere with rest of my equipment as my huge VR computer always does.
2. Uwatec wristband - perfect.
3. Buttons work with some resistance (left much harder to press than right) but probably it isn't so bad - little or no chance for unplanned operation :-)
4. Very small display, much smaller than my phone has. Still it's crystal clear, best display I've ever seen in diving computer.
5. Nice, logical user interface. Much better than in VR or 3 button Suunto's. Just like in Nikon dSLRs - you become expert user after 30 or 40 seconds :-)
6. Good software for Diving Log 4.0, simulator option is a big advantage.
7. Deco algorithm seems to work fine (remember, only in Simulator mode so far). I've compared it side to side with VR (also ZHL 16 but with Pyle deep stops) and both units gave very similar results for air/nitrox dives up to 50msw.
8. Custom Functions. Wow!

Now some things I didn't like:
1. After you run simulator, OSTC shows tissue saturation / No Fly as if real dive happened. This makes simulator virtually useless for field use. Before real dive you'll have to reset OSTC and set all CFs and gases from the scratch.
2. Current depth in 0,5m only - I'd like to have it in 0,1m units. Maybe it's only in simulator mode?
3. Dive time - I'd like to have seconds too. See wish list below.
4. In simulator mode sometimes it's impossible to enter the menu and change gas.

Wish list:
1. Gauge mode: depth in 0,1m, time in mm:ss format. Trimix algorithms are nice, but runtime isn't dead yet :-)
2. Better description of CF - I still don't kwon if any of them gives me possibility to set GF Lo/High as decribed by Eric Baker.
3. Is serial port usable underwater? I guess that PPO2 monitoring and rebreather software will be most welcomed.

That's all for today.

Rgds,
Maciek Karczewski
heinrichsweikamp

Hello Maciek,

Thanks for your feedback.
- The Simulator does currently only work in 1m steps. You'll have 0.1m readings during a real dive and 0.01m records in the logbook/profile.
- Divetime in seconds in a Gauge mode? Why not, this should be easy to implement.
- Bug with switches in Simulatormode was fixed
- An interface command to reset the DecoData without resetting the CF and Gases was added.
- The current 5pin connector can not be used to interface to standard ppO2 sensors, we're thinking about that issue already
- Decompression with the GF method can only be used manually (GF is displayed). The OSTC uses a clean implementation of the ZH-L16 currently.

The release 1.01 with some minor bug fixes and a few new features (especially for the programmers of PC software) will be released during this week.

Regards,
Matthias
MaciejKa

Post by MaciejKa »

heinrichsweikamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - The Simulator does currently only work in 1m
> steps. You'll have 0.1m readings during a real
> dive and 0.01m records in the logbook/profile.
That's what I thought. However I could swear, that I've seen something like 52.5m on the screen ;-)

> - Divetime in seconds in a Gauge mode? Why not,
Thanks in advance.

> - An interface command to reset the DecoData
> without resetting the CF and Gases was added.
Yeah, I've used reset button as Rebecca suggested. Works fine, thanks. Definitely someone has to write user's manual :-)

> - Decompression with the GF method can only be
> used manually (GF is displayed). The OSTC uses a
> clean implementation of the ZH-L16 currently.
OK, just wanted to be sure. GF on the screen will be enough to start with, I guess.

One more wish for next firmware releases:
Possibility to set depth of last deco stop. Something like 6, 4.5 & 3m.

MFG,
Maciek Karczewski
heinrichsweikamp

Hello Maciek,

About the Gauge Mode, how should we activate it? Using the interface or better with a "Setup" Menu? (I would say the latter is more practical...)

Regards,
Matthias
MaciejKa

Post by MaciejKa »

Hi Matthias,

> About the Gauge Mode, how should we activate it?
Setup seems better.

MFG,
Maciek Karczewski
heinrichsweikamp

Ok, i'll include this mode during the next days. I just uploaded a 1.01 with some minor changes and bug fixes.

Regards,
Matthias
MaciejKa

Post by MaciejKa »

Bug report:

In Gas Setup O2+He cannot exceed 100% While it's pretty logical it also prevents correction of ill defined gases. For example: I tried to define TMX 20/35 and, by mistake, set He fraction to 40. Pressing right button worked until He reached 80%. Only way to correct gas settings is via interface. No problem for EANx, O2 fraction goes from 100% to 0%.

MFG,
Maciek Karczewski
heinrichsweikamp

Hello,

You can reset to 21/0 with "Default" and start again. But it's more comfortable with the interface. I agree.

Matthias
MaciejKa

Post by MaciejKa »

> You can reset to 21/0 with "Default" and start
Silly me, it's on the Manual page on your Web :-(

Thanks,
Maciek Karczewski
divinglog

Post by divinglog »

[quote]I think this varies because the Simulator doesn't send information to the OSTC continuously, but only every half-second or so.[/quote]

When simulating an existing profile it depends on the interval of the profile. If its recorded every 10 seconds, only every 10 seconds a depth change is send to the OSTC. I want to improve this in future, so that even at 20 second profiles at least once a second a depth value is send by interpolating.

In manual mode (moving the vertical slider) every change of depth is send to OSTC, when using the "Go to depth" function every second.

Kind regards,
Sven
Diving Log 6.0 - https://www.divinglog.de/
heinrichsweikamp

Hello,

I will post a new Beta 1.05 tomorrow morning which now includs the Gauge mode. Change the setting via "Menu"-> "Setup"

regards,
Matthias
Bruce Mills

Post by Bruce Mills »

Hi People,

I have had my OSTC for about a month now and have taken it to the pool, which told me that it worked but not much else, and for a couple of local quarry dives to around 18 meters - alongside my Suunto Vyper which told me a lot more. I think the unit is fantastic but have the following observations to add to the above posts:-

Fantastic menu system - takes no time to master
Clear and uncomplicated information
Park for the plug cap
Diving Log 4 integration
Small physical size and ergonomically designed
Beautifull display - small but nice
Simular deco obligations to my Vyper
Rechargeable - wow

Dislikes
Strap - I like 2 seperate bungee loops - personal choice I guess :)
Cant think of much else...

Things I would like
Simulator mode would be improved with a quicker time sampling rate and depth gradient - Optional maybe?
Optional depth of last deco stop - 6m would be good!
English Manual with a better description of CF's
Lanyard for the plug cap

All in all I really like the unit and look forward to using it this year :)

Bruce
heinrichsweikamp

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback! At the moment we are integrating a constant ppO2 decompression mode, after that we will add Pyle stops to the code.

I would like to have a different armstrap, as well. We had prototypes made of flex-nylon but they were not very reliable and looked bad after short use.

Manual: We will have a "wiki" for that soon.

Cheers,
Matthias
Bruce Mills

Post by Bruce Mills »

Hi again,

I have had time now to understand how the OSTC works and have tested it on 20+ dives since my last post. I do have some questions though!

In the Wiki it shows the last logbook item of information as "max. allowed altitude in m directly after the dive". On my OSTC logbook it gives the information "m min" and after a long deep dive the number increases - surely it should reduce?

I also have a niggle when using the enter button as it sometimes jumps 2 units whilst only pressing the button once. Is there a user setting to adjust this?

I found the unit slow to turn on at the start of a dive so reduced CF0 to 60. Hopefully this will help.

Is it possible to delete the logs created on the OSTC whilst using the simulation mode of Dive Log 4? Its not really a problem but i dont think a simulated dive should get logged.

I am enjoying using the computer and am very gratefull for the inclusion of variable last stops - I find the sea is rather lumpy and uncomfortable shallower than 6m.

The things I would like to see next are:-

1. Deep or Pyle stops
2. Larger numbers on the display if possible

Thanks from Bruce Mills
heinrichsweikamp

Hello Bruce,

Bruce Mills Wrote:
> In the Wiki it shows the last logbook item of
> information as "max. allowed altitude in m
> directly after the dive". On my OSTC logbook it
> gives the information "m min" and after a long
> deep dive the number increases - surely it should
> reduce?

We changed that in one of the last firmware versions. So now, the total desaturation time in minutes is displayed. I missed to change the Wiki...

> I also have a niggle when using the enter button
> as it sometimes jumps 2 units whilst only pressing
> the button once. Is there a user setting to adjust
> this?

We will look after the proper debouncing, again. We changed this in 1.11 a bit to make rapid button presses more easy.

> I found the unit slow to turn on at the start of a
> dive so reduced CF0 to 60. Hopefully this will
> help.

2.5m is a bit deep sometimes, I agree. As you realized this can be adjusted easily. I know of many computers turning On by accident (Pressure change, wet conditions, etc.) We just wanted to make sure the OSTC stays Off until a real dive starts.

> Is it possible to delete the logs created on the
> OSTC whilst using the simulation mode of Dive Log
> 4? Its not really a problem but i dont think a
> simulated dive should get logged.

Yes, this will be added in one of the next beta versions, as well as a more detailed battery status tool.

> 1. Deep or Pyle stops

This and some adjustments in the No-Fly time/Desaturation time are on Top of the list for the Decompression algorithm.

> 2. Larger numbers on the display if possible

This would reduce the space for more information. We could increase the dive time while in "no deco limit" mode, for example.

Thanks for the feedback - it's appreciated!

Regards,
Matthias
heinrichsweikamp

Hi,

> I found the unit slow to turn on at the start of a
> dive so reduced CF0 to 60. Hopefully this will
> help.

You should also set CF6 to a lower value, e.g. 1100mBar, so the unit will wake up from sleep in 1m depth.

Regards,
Matthias