bluetooth connecting to OSTC sport on ubuntu laptop

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
hanpada

bluetooth connecting to OSTC sport on ubuntu laptop

Post by hanpada »

Am having an issue seeing OSTC Sport (f/w 10.12) with bluetooth on Ubuntu 14.10 thinkpad lenovo laptop. Details are:

Laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad T430S
OS - Ubuntu 14.10 x64
Bluetooth - ID 0a5c:21e6 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0

I'm able to see the OSTC on my Sony z3 and Nexus 10 tablet as "OSTCs 0696", but no matter what i try on ubuntu, i'm not able to see it when i perform the search for devices. The laptop can successfully pair with the tablet, the smartphone, a speaker. They all show up when i enable BT on each of them. Yet I don't see anything for the OSTC. Am wondering if it might be because the laptop bluetooth chip is too old?

Was looking forward to connecting with OSTC Companion for the 1st time.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: bluetooth connecting to OSTC sport on ubuntu laptop

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

We have an T430s here, as well. Running it with windows7 works fine with the OSTC sport. So, the bluetooth chip is (as in most cases) not the issue. I assume the SPP-Protocol of the sport is not properly supported from the bluetooth driver in Ubuntu.

A google search "ubuntu 14.10 bluetooth not working" finds quite a lot of issues. Maybe there is some kind of update here. I'm sure it's not hardware related since the OSTC sport can be seen with other devices and other devices connect to your Ubuntu system.

Regards,
Matthias
glance

Re: bluetooth connecting to OSTC sport on ubuntu laptop

Post by glance »

I had some terrible problems with the connections to a OSTC Sport from a MacBookPro8,2 , 05ac:821a Apple, Inc. Bluetooth Host Controller, so i dug up a old usb-bluetooth stick and it worked like a charm.

I've tested the same internal apple bluetooth chip against a a2dp-headset with horrible results so i'm guessing that its that chip that got problems.