Simulator

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Poiret

Simulator

Post by Poiret »

Hi,

I have just started playing with the simulator function but think I am getting something wrong. I have planned a dive of 19 minutes @ 63m. The TTS on CC is coming back as being 120 minutes and strangely the bailout TTS is only 60 minutes.

My first thought is that the two numbers are the wrong way round and that the first TTS is actually the bailout and the second TTS is the CC run time although the bailout run does then seem to be much longer than I would expect while the CC run time is quite short but it has also occurred to me that it may have something to do with set point switching.

I have it setup as follows.
Dil-11/55
Bailouts-15/48 and EAN50,
Buhlmann GF with 50 high and 70 low.
Auto SP of 0.7 and 1.3 changing at 24m.
Software V2.15

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

James
Ralph

Re: Simulator

Post by Ralph »

Hi James,

are you sure to have set the GFs the right way? GFhigh should be higher than GFlow. I'll try to repeat your calculation. Anyhow, especially as a CCR diver, you should update to 2.26 - it contains many improvements!

BR
Ralph
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Err, sorry, in 2.25 and also in 2.26 the SetPoint switching does not work in the Deco Calculator. It always uses the first SP, so you need to put the 1.3 into SP1. In an upcoming firmware version you'll be able to configure which SP the Calculator shall use.

-R.
Poiret

Post by Poiret »

[quote=Ralph]
are you sure to have set the GFs the right way?

[/quote]Thank you. I always forget which way around they are and when I looked at one of the figures I wasn't paying attention and read it left to right rather than right to left. I was surprised that I had managed to set it up wrong when I orginally set it up but it seems I hadn't. That also seems to make the times seem more realistic. It would be much simpler if they were called shallow and deep rather than high and low respectively. I understand the model but always forget the terminology which really makes a mess of it.

I also thought it might be the set point being wrong but thank you for confirming.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Well, that's my way of remembering:

GFlow determines how low = deep down your 1st stop will be,

GFhigh determines how high your GF will be when being high = at the surface

:-) Ralph
Poiret

Post by Poiret »

But when at high pressure you are deep and when at low pressure you are shallow. I shouldn't say that I will just confuse myself all over again :)
sailor

Post by sailor »

Low is the lower (smaller) number, high is the higher (bigger) number, as simple as that.
Just saying, make sure to have a formal trimix training before diving hypoxic mixes.
Poiret

Post by Poiret »

sailor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Low is the lower (smaller) number, high is the
> higher (bigger) number, as simple as that.
> Just saying, make sure to have a formal trimix
> training before diving hypoxic mixes.

That may be roughly correct in the sense that you would normally run them like that but it doesn't show any understanding of the theory behind how GF works. There is no reason the high has to be higher or the low has to be lower. If you wanted to cut your deep stops and increase your shallow ones you could run them the other way around. I can't think of any reason why you would do that but I'm sure there are legitimate reasons.

BTW I have rule which says that any time I start a sentence "just saying" I delete it as really I know I shouldn't be saying it because it will just annoy people. I should probably have started this paragraph like that.
sailor

Post by sailor »

Sorry, didn't want to offend you.

I believe it's not adviceable to set GF low higher then GF high.