hwOS Tec: Average depth in main screen?

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Live2dive

hwOS Tec: Average depth in main screen?

Post by Live2dive »

Hello everydoby.

Do you know if there's any way to personalize the fields displayed in the main dive screen? I mean, the ones that are always there in the upper and lower part of the display, despite wich custom view it's selected in the mid row.

For ratio deco users, it would be great to have always visible the total average depth. It could be shown instead of the max depth, for instance, or alternate/select max depth or average.

As i've seen in the manuals, I know that average depth can be shown in one of the selectable custom views in the middle of the display (the stopwatch one), but it would be usefull to have it always visible at the display, also when you are looking at other custom views data (deco plan, GF, compass, etc.)

Thank you for your help and regards,
OSTC 2, #17138
karip

Re: hwOS Tec: Average depth in main screen?

Post by karip »

Max depth in main screen is useless. Average depth i need every dive.
Motardplongeur

Post by Motardplongeur »

Hello,

Depending on person. For me, the opposite. Using Max depth offently when I lead ‘young’ divers (with a dedicated authorize depth allowed). For average depth, I don’t care under surface, being able to get it from logbook. So, why not proposing something else but take care about different uses.
Les pieds dans l'eau, la tête dans les étoiles, le reste sur terre !

OSTC #12002 & #11150
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

For that reasons, it would be great be able to configure/select the fields pemanently shown in the main dive screen. Indeed i think that average deep was always shown in older software versions... isn't it?
OSTC 2, #17138
Arno

Post by Arno »

+1 for average depth (or at least select it in stead of max. depth).
Max. depth really doesn't give me any usefull information while in the water.
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

Maybe a solomonic decision could be to add in the menu of 'Display settings' a new option called 'Avg. Depth in main screen', marked as'NO' by default (same current behavior).

If this option is selected as 'YES', on the main screen the Average Depth could be shown instead of the Maximum, and in this case the Maximum could be shown in the custom view 'Stop watch', instead of the Average one, to avoid duplicating information.

It doesn't seem technically very complicated nor appears to has risky side effects, but I don't know if this is possible. It would help lots of divers, like me, who permanently use the average depth during the dive (mental calculation of gas consumption, deco on the fly, etc).

Thank you in advance for take in consideration the proposal, and congratulations for your products.
OSTC 2, #17138
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

it's definitely not complicated to do (As you can guess). I just wanted to follow this discussion a bit longer here. Being an old school tech diver Max. Depth is not negotiable for me but as you said: As an option... Why not?

In the OSTC4 we have two custom views (one big one in the center and a smaller one in the lower left corner (And AVR Depth is selectable). But Max. Depth is still visible all the time here, too.

regards,
Matthias
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

Thank you, Matthias.

At the moment in the topic the actual scoreboard is Avg: 3 // Max: 2

Let's see how it evolves. ;-)
OSTC 2, #17138
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi all,

i was also observing the posts brought up here like Matthias. Especially to gather reasons why the max depth should by swapped against an avg. depth. The gas consumption usage sounds logical to me. What i do not really understand is why i should calculate a rule-of-thump deco schedule extrapolation in my brain (deco on the fly) when i am carrying a full-featured TMX-enabled diving computer with me. Or do you deco-on-the-fly users run the OSTC in gauge mode? In that case, there would be lots of space on the screen to output max and avg. at the same time... ;-)

Ralph
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

Hi, Ralph.

simply as a backup. It's so useful and quite straight forward once you're used to that stuff (min deco calculations, deco on the fly, etc)... and it's strange not to have that average always visible, when you are used to it. For gas consumption calculations it's also very useful.

Normally i will not run the OSTC on gauge mode, of course... what a waste of power (and money)!. But if sometime i do it, then the avg depth will be also for sure necessary... ;-)

In any case...can i ask for what reason do you find more useful the max depth from the average one? For what purpose do you use this max data during the dive?

Regards,
OSTC 2, #17138
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

he-he, i haven't given my vote yet - and i probably won't do. Why? 'cause i'm one of the hwOS tech programmers, so i can make my personal OSTC do whatever i want. :-) The question is: what will go into the official release code...
There are a number of factors to look at when changing the look and feel of the OSTC, last but not least we have to think about those users that are not the most eager ones regarding reading the release notes. So simply replacing max depth with average depth could cause serious harm to some individuals. But a clever idea on this has already been put out above - make it configurable with defaulting to the old max depth. My question now is: we have two averages in the OSTC, the resettable one and the total-per-dive one. Which of these should go into the selection list, and maybe for safety reasons which one not? May the best answers win the palm!

cheers,
Ralph
Arno

Post by Arno »

For me the total-per-dive AVG is the most important. This is the one used for deco-on-the-fly.
Resettable avg to me has no importance, it doesn't give me useful information (the resettable time does sometimes).

Why dotf (and still carry a full featured tmx comp)?
Simply I plan my deco dives upfront on my PC using deco software (same algorithm as in OSTC (GF 40/75 sometimes GF 40/80) and stick to my plan (which is also in my wetnotes including contingency plans voor deeper and longer (+3 +3)).
OSTC is backup (actually I have both an OSTC 4 and a plus). I use the tmx-calculations from the computer as a backup and could use it should I for whatever reason call the dive much earlier than planned, however I could also use DOTF in this case.
And yes, I have at least one of the OSTC's in gauge mode. Too powerfull, too expensive? Maybe, but I simply couldn't find a better bottomtimer with good screen and good aftersales :)
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

Same here, total-per-dive AVG for me too.

It's the one i normaly use for deco on the fly, and also is the only that can be used for gas consumption calculations.

Regards,
OSTC 2, #17138
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

so... do you finally have a veredict for this possibility? Would we be fortunate enough to see it in future versions? :-)
OSTC 2, #17138
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

It's already in the v2.99 beta-4 i'm currently working on...
Live2dive

Post by Live2dive »

great news, Ralph! Thank you very much for taking it in consideration!(:P) :D (:D
OSTC 2, #17138