Cosmetic Issue: OSTC 2 TR reporting wrong Model

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Duglum

Cosmetic Issue: OSTC 2 TR reporting wrong Model

Post by Duglum »

It's not a big deal, but it might be confusing for some users.

While playing around with my new OSTC 2 TR i found that it gives out different (and mostly wrong) Models as Bluetooth ID and the reported model when importing dives with Subsurface, depending on the firmware being used.

Sport 10.45:
- Bluetooth: "OSTC+ "
- Subsurface: "OSTC Sport"

Tech 2.98:
- Subsurface: "OSTC 2"

Tech 2.99 beta:
- Subsurface: "OSTC 2 TR" (the only correct value)

I also found out that the Transmitter-specific settings and features are not there at all in 2.98, i guess it really thinks it's an OSTC 2. They do appear when using 2.99 or 10.45 though.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Cosmetic Issue: OSTC 2 TR reporting wrong Model

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

We're aware of this. But, to keep compatibility for the different Apps and Software this is something we can't change easily. So this is just for explanation:

The Bluetooth Name is fixed in the bootloader, which is installed here in production. And since the OSTC2 and OSTC Plus use the same electronics and the same bootloader the BT name always is OSTC+...

Then the identity of the computers is done through a special command in the download or service (Bluetooth) mode. While some hardware features can be detected and identified by the firmware some can not. It's not possible to distinguish between an OSTC2 (2017) or OSTC Plus in the firmware. And it's not required since they are 100% compatible for the download software. Basically, the download software only needs to distinguish between the hwOS Sport and hwOS TECH which are slightly different.

As a result some software will detect an OSTC Plus or OSTC 2 (2017) with hwOS Sport as "OSTC Sport" which is ok and results in the correct configuration parameters.

The TECH version has the transmitter features only in 2.99beta currently.

regards,
Matthias
Duglum

Re: Cosmetic Issue: OSTC 2 TR reporting wrong Model

Post by Duglum »

Hey Matthias,

ok, that explains it. Thank you for the quick answer. :)
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196