Improvement of TR reception

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
tblein

Improvement of TR reception

Post by tblein »

Hello

I have an OSTC 2TR and a transmitter. I managed to paired the computer and the transmitter without problem. Also, no problem to read the pressure before diving. However, during the major part of the dives I had no connection to the transmitter. Time to time and without pattern I got connection with the transmitter.

I know the subject is controversial and I am not here to complain but to find solutions. If the one around that managed to get good connection between the transmitter and the computer could share the tricks a lot of people will certainly appreciate.

Thomas
Duglum

Re: Improvement of TR reception

Post by Duglum »

Not as bad as "major part of the dive" for me, but there are some problems. I also had a few minutes without reception on almost every dive...
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Same here. Still trying various ways to mount/orient the transmitter, but 'poor' is the best I've seen so far, with large parts of the dive without pressure reading. I've used AI before (Suunto, Uemis), and while all systems can suffer from the occasional glitch, this is by far the poorest performance I've seen, to the point of being useless. (and to the point of me actually considering cutting my losses en just buying a Perdix...)
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

Last dive actually went pretty well, pressure worked for most parts of the dive. Used sport v10.53 (which has a more recent RX-firmware than tech. I believe installing v10.53 then installing 3.01 would also work.

Transmitter was in front of my wing, just next to my right shoulder. When pressurized, the hose is quite stiff. Earlier attempts all had the TX behind the wing, closer to the tank.
[img]https://tweakers.net/ext/f/qU9YkvUex9Hm ... o/full.jpg[/img]
tblein

Post by tblein »

Thanks ijdod for sharing your experience. I was indeed suspecting that bringing the transmitter closer to the computer will improve the connection. However I had no idea how close it should be.

Do you have any idea of the average distance between the computer and the transmitter when the reception was good? In other words is there any recommendation of maximum distance between the computer and the transmitter? I did not found it in the transmitter manual, but my German is not so good.

I didn't notice that the sport v10.53 got an updated RX-firmware. Matthias could you confirmed that the installation of the sport v10.53 and then back to the tech v3.01 will do the same? Or even better do you know when the updated RX-firmware will land in the tech version?

Thomas
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

I think it was less than half a meter or so? I dive in horizontal trim, computer on right wrist, cable light held with goodman handle in right hand.

I think 3.01 is on RX 1.35 or 1.36. v10.53 is on RX 1.37. If I reboot my computer to 3.01 now it reports RX 1.37, so updating it that way seems to work. No idea if it matters though; it's not clear what RX firmware does, nor what the improvements, if any, are.

According to the german manual, range is about 1m, and the TX should be mounted parallel to the computer (parallel with your arm, essentially). Distance and orientation aside, my previous attempt had the transmitter against the tank, which I could image affecting operation.
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

I was using RX 1.37 with v3.01 on the last dives.. the problems remained. I also have the transmitter on a short Miflex hose on the right side and the OSTC on the right arm. If i had to guess i'd say the distance never was more than 50cm.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
Enjo

Post by Enjo »

I'm going to test the transmitter on the hp hose and just realized that one needs an adapter to connect the transmitter to the swivel design of the standard hp hose. If you are wondering where to find such an adapter search for "Adapter Mini-SPG to HP Hose" or in German "Adapter HD Mini Gauge"
Fabio89

Post by Fabio89 »

Hi,

I have an OSTC 2 TR with RX 1.37 and did roughly about 30 dives trying to get any transmitter signal under water.
I tried several configuration options, as well exactly the one ijdod showed above but unfortunately I wasn't able to get any signal.

On land, I am able to pair my computer with the transmitter and get signals up to a distance of about 40cm. Underwater, I never had a single singal during all my dives. My buddy was measuring the distance underwater and it was about 30-40cm (transmitter on right shoulder, computer on righ wrist).

Are there any hints, any other people dealing with the same problems?
I don't think that this should happen with a computer like that (all other brands aren't having any of these issues).

BTW - I dive a HydrosPro without any steel parts so connection should be even better.
VK

Post by VK »

Hi,

I have the same problem. I received the transmitter in April and it has been completely useless for the whole time. In the beginning, I managed once or twice to pair the TR with the OSTC, but no connection underwater. Now it won't pair even on land anymore. I've emailed Matthias about it, but he has told me that there's been no progress regarding this problem.
Fabio89

Post by Fabio89 »

Hi,

since these products are tested they should work somehow!

@Matthias/Ralph: Are there any pictures from your config during testing? I can't imagine that you'd throw anything on the market which does not work.

Or can this be a bug in a series of transmitters?
It would be good to have some inputs which I can test the upcoming weekend.

BR Fabio
ijdod

Post by ijdod »

I've borrowed a friends Perdix AI computer with Aqualung (PPS) transmitter. Same configuration (computer and transmitter at the same place, same divesite), everything worked flawlessly above and below water.