Reboot during dive

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Hens

Reboot during dive

Post by Hens »

Hello

This weekend during a dive with the sport with tech sw during the dive the screen went black
When pushing a button 2 icon appears (HW logo and I think Bluetooth logo ? ) pushing some more buttons and suddenly I saw "reboot" on the screen which after this a new was started
Battery is on 67%
Any idea what caused this and how to prevent this ?

best regards
Hens
Ralph

Re: Reboot during dive

Post by Ralph »

Hello Hens,

are you having a TR-model OSTC and/or did you had the compass view active when the reboot happend?
May you also provide the OSTC hardware version: Settings -> Information -> more : the string in the line
titled "Hardware" will help us to identify you exact model and production version.

This shall definitely not happen!!

thanks,
Ralph
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi Hens,

What battery was in use? A reboot during use is for sure not a software issue and most likely a power loss from the battery and/or contact issue.

regards,
Matthias
Hens

Post by Hens »

It is the sport hardware with tech software

The original battery is still it with 67 % of power (battery problem came to my mind)

I will check if I can find the data Ralph asked for when I am at home

I never use the compass, it is sometimes visible when switching to different screens

best regards
Hens
Hens

Post by Hens »

Here is the data I could find

The strange thing is that the dive and the one after the restart is not in the logbook
Attachments
8377D157-2E2F-460F-98C9-A219D70D36D0.jpeg
3061C4C0-22CD-4212-AD4A-B62162DEEC92.jpeg
D4C17AEF-FD38-4588-B7DB-8552BE51FBEF.jpeg
Hens

Post by Hens »

Any idea what to do ?
What are the chances this happens again?

Using the dive soft as backup now just in case
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

There's one kown bug around reboot during a dive posted here on the forum, but it involves a specific combination of TR model and compass operation. But that's both not the case with your incident, so it is most likely what Matthias already suggested: contact problem with the battery. The software version you are running has no record of instantanious reboots.
Hens

Post by Hens »

oke tnx Ralph

My guess is the quality of the battery that came with it
I am testing it now on 0,2 A and it drops to 1,3V right away maybe with some low temperature this caused the reboot with even a bit bigger drop ?

Is the remaining time capacity calculated with time or voltage ?

Any advise on which battery is the best ?

thanks
Hens
Kehrmaschine

Post by Kehrmaschine »

I have to confirm that since last update my OSTC+ is also rebooting during the dive. Had it on two TX dives.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

This is, for sure, not a software issue. Check battery compartment for moisture or anything unusual. The battery cap in the OSTC sport and plus should be closed good so the contact from the battery is properly conducted to the housing.

regards,
Matthias
Kehrmaschine

Post by Kehrmaschine »

Hallo Matthias

Keine Spur von Feuchtigkeit oder ähnlichem, alles trocken. Akku ist auch ok und hält die Ladung. Habe den OSTC zur Zeit zum Backup Rechner degradiert, habe leider kein Vertrauen mehr dass er mich sicher nach oben bringt. Sollten sich die Ausfälle häufen schicke ich ihn wieder zu euch, dann dürft ihr wieder zaubern.

LG
Mario
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

[quote=Hens post_id=22818 time=1598800734 user_id=2717]
oke tnx Ralph

My guess is the quality of the battery that came with it
I am testing it now on 0,2 A and it drops to 1,3V right away maybe with some low temperature this caused the reboot with even a bit bigger drop ?

Is the remaining time capacity calculated with time or voltage ?

Any advise on which battery is the best ?

thanks
Hens
[/quote]

As far as I understood it (please correct if wrong): this device calculates the % display from the voltage. Some other OSTCs have a charge counter built-in (OSTC plus, 4) and show the % as a remaining charge. So the % display looks the same in OSTC plus and OSTC sport, but the meaning of the % number is different (sport: voltage, plus: remaining charge), and it's not mentioned in the documentation.

The pictures above show 1.61V and 67%. This doesn't fit together, 1.61V should be 100%, and 1.37V should be 67%. But it could happen if the voltage temporarily dropped because of a bad contact; for a split second it dropped to 1.37V, the % dropped to 67% and stayed there. The % display doesn't go up again when the voltage goes back up to 1.61V.

I think Energizer Lithium are a good choice especially in cold water. But you have to be careful that their voltage drops fast when they go empty. So it takes many dives to go from 100% to 75% (1.4V), and then it goes much faster from 75% to 0% in maybe 5 dives.