OST4 external interface. Which one?

The big one
Julien39

OST4 external interface. Which one?

Post by Julien39 »

Hi there,

I will soon do my Trimix training and will keep in the near future, to be able to dive in a rebreather.

As a future buyer of an OSTC 4, I wanted to know which type of connections to choose among the 3 they offer on the web site (optical, S8 or Fischer)??
This is mainly to prevent me from regretting not having taken the one that suited me best.

The different port connections options offered at the time of purchase, do they depend on the type (brand of rebreather)…on the model of PPO2 monitor (the one at €90 or the one at €535 Offered on the website)…that one will use later?

What else can be connected to this port other than a PPO2 monitor?

What are the most used connectors for a computer?

Thank you for your answers.
jb2cool

Re: OST4 external interface. Which one?

Post by jb2cool »

All the people I know with rebreathers just have the rebreather controller handset on one wrist, an entirely isolated computer on the other wrist and a HUD on the mouthpiece, the divers that I know don’t connect anything to their stand-alone computer.

You used to see additional cell monitoring more than you do now, I guess that was when HUDs were in their infancy but now they are commonplace.

This might just be a thing about the kind of divers I dive with though, they all dive the same model of breather and all have it rigged in the same way.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

This depends on the rebreather you might get. All modern eCCR have O2 monitoring and display/HUD included. Here, you really do not need to add the OSTC 4 with monitoring option. It's a different story for KISS, other mCCR or dedicated deco/oxygen rebreathers.

The OSTC 4 is available in three options:
Optical interface: Compatible with our ppO2 Monitor, can be plugged/removed during the dive
Fischer bulkhead: Makes sense if your rebreather already has a Fischer connector for secondary O2 monitoring
S8 bulkhead: Makes sense if you need to add a cable to your rebreather in any case. The S8 connector is mechanically and electrically much more robust then the Fischer connector.

Here's an image of the three version including the connectors.

Regards,
Matthias
Attachments
4er_3er-auswahl_1.jpg
Last edited by heinrichsweikamp on Tuesday 28. June 2022, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

I use an OSTC Fischer with my KISS Sidewinder.
However you really need to first figure out what type of ccr you'll want to purchase. As Matthias says, your path would then be prescribed.

Most Sidewinder divers buy a unit with a hardwired Shearwater. But because I dive open and closed from one dive to the next I needed a dive computer that can be disconnected. Fischer tends to be the default standard for connectors.

I chose the OSTC4 for my mccr because I've been using the OSTC4 for years open and am very happy with it.

If you want to be able to disconnect the dive computer from the ccr then I would probably recommend an S8 connector, as they are much sturdier, but thats another topic by itself.

So first figure out what ccr matches your dive types and then choose your dive computer. 🙂
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Julien39

Post by Julien39 »

Thank you very much everyone for your replies.
Actually…not easy to choose given that I have not yet planned to invest in a rebreather (training in first time ; rental second and purchase third).

I would continue anyway, to dive in open (during supervision).
Knowing that I risk often connecting it and disconnecting the computer... it seems to me more judicious to choose the S8 connector...!? I'll see.

Thank you.
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Julien, you need to think ahead for what purpose you want a re-breather.

If its only Trimix for deep diving, maybe wrecks. Then you may want to consider a BM rebreather. If you got your eye on cave diving then you may want to lean towards a SM rebreather.

Then of course there is the choice between mccr and eccr.

So I suggest to you, first think in which direction you would like to go with technical diving. Read as much as you can about rebreathers. And speak to as many rebreather divers as you can.
If you got lots of money, buy what tickles your fancy. 🙂
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Julien39

Post by Julien39 »

I'm going to start with my trimix training first... and then do some initiation for the cave diving.
I already really like caving with friends…but not in diving for the moment.

My banker also asks me to choose :lol:

I talked to my dive shop this morning, and he told me that it was not necessary, according to him, to have a connection with the computer, because many rebreathers are already equipped with it.

I found a book on recyclers... I will be able to document myself and proceed step by step.
Thank you for your advice
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Julien, good luck and enjoy the journey.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM