OSTN 2n Comms issues

Legacy OSTC's
MartinAmies

OSTN 2n Comms issues

Post by MartinAmies »

Hello everyone, I have just joined the club with a new to me, OSTN 2+. so far, a nice bit of kit although I am having trouble connecting to it.
I have downloaded the FDI drivers both the universal and the non universal which made no difference. V2.1.12.36.4
I have setup a com port com8 and defined this in the companion software.
I am using a windows 10 laptop. when I press the connect button I get the below message...

Connecting...
< block timeout (missing 256 bytes)
No reply from OSTC Mk.2, 2n or 2c...
Cannot connect COM8: No reply from OSTC Mk.2, 2n or 2c...
Error: Cannot connect COM8: No reply from OSTC Mk.2, 2n or 2c...

I have tried other drivers and different comm ports. I have tried waking the OSTN up before trying to communicate but the message is the same.
can anyone shed any light please.
Thanks
Martin
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTN 2n Comms issues

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

Is this an OSTC 2N (With a USB port on the side)?

regards,
Matthias
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

Hello

I have the same issue.
I have two OSTC 2N computer and I use to love the devices. I have sent them to be service by HW last year and they are now working just fine.
I have the OSTC 2N which is an old model.

On my previous PC and on Windows 7, I was able to connect it with USB and then export the data (dive log) or import/update the firmware.
Since I am now on Windows 10, I can not figure a way to get the computer USB ports to be display. I can't have the right drivers nor how to install the drivers.
So if there is someone out there that have manage to get these babies to work as intended on W10, I would be super happy to have the process/guidance.
My PC is up for a W11 update that I am delaying as I am afraid that something difficult with W10 will become impossible with W11.
Hopefully this post will be the lighthouse in my disarray.

Matthias recommend me to use Subsurface but the bigger issue is that I can install the drivers in a way that the OSTC is recognized. Any support would be welcome.

Thanks
MartinAmies

Post by MartinAmies »

Hello Matthias, the port is accessed on the underside.
thanks
Martin
heinrichsweikamp

That's an "OSTC 2C" (It's written on the front, as well). If the USB port is not detected, try a different cable and/or clean the USB port with some contact cleaner or "WD40".

We see corroded USB ports regularly because people continue to close the USB cap with a screwdriver all the way down. That might get the O-Ring damaged in the threads. Result is a leak and (worst case) end-of-life of the entire unit (The USB port is NOT replaceable in the 2C).

The USB cap is designed to be closed with the USB connector as the tool! Only close it until it's flush with the mating alloy part.

Regards,
Matthias
MartinAmies

Post by MartinAmies »

Hi Matthias,
Thanks for your response, I bought the unit second hand and yes,there is clear evidence of screwdriver usage on the cap.
You are also correct in that it is a 2C, my bad there, sorry.
I will try some contact cleaner and a new lead as instructed and report bad, job for the weekend! I hope it is as simple as that.
you say that the connector cannot be changed? is that because it is smd or because the unit will not dissassemble?

thanks
Martin
heinrichsweikamp

The USB port soldering joints are inaccessible due to the potted construction in the old OSTC 2C. So a new bulkhead can not be installed.

regards,
Matthias