A few ideas

Legacy OSTC's
antop

A few ideas

Post by antop »

Okay i couldn't really be happier with my ostc and love the way more features are added on release of each new firmware version.
here are a few suggestions that could possibly be added though i'm not sure how viable any of them are.

1. Current Gas TTS what will my tts be if i don't gas switch ie. Im on air in my twins and a 80% stage what will my tts be if i lose my deco gas
something like this perhaps?
[img]http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg619/scaled ... &ysize=640[/img]

2. Get me to the surface quick mode? if i need to get to the surface quickly in an emergency and am willing to decompress using a more aggressive setting eg normal dive 20-85gf emergency mode 50-90gf gets me shallow quickly with less gas (granted more risk of dci) kind of like a fast bailout mode?

3. colour changes for depth time and tts
like the custom function for depth but an intermediate user defined setting eg. at 35m i would like the depth to change to orange but at 38m iwould like it to change to red
at dive time of 25min, time turns orange at 30min turns red
tts goes blue-orange- red as tts increases according to predefined user input?

4. sudoku: prob just a pipe dream something to keep me occupied on long deco?

okay not sure how viable any of these ideas are or if there is a need for any of them but just a few ideas to throw into the ring!

keep up the good work
laters
anthony
JeanDo

Re: A few ideas

Post by JeanDo »

Hello Anthony,

Nice inputs. Thanks. Some thought:

1/ can be done by disabling gas one by one. Takes time. But because you can dive with several gas, I am not sure that > will be the one-size-fits-all option suitable to every one. Another issue is that it takes time to compute if you want both displayed (just as Future TTS btw).

2/ is discussed. DR5 have an urgency mode that changes GF to 95/95 (one more CF). In fact, I think the most tricky part is where to put that in the interface so you will find it in panic mode, still not firing it by error...

3/ nice. Needs at least two CF: one for the attention color (currently yellow), one for the margin.

4/ I am quiet sure you will the full deco time fighting with the 2 button interface just to set the first number in... :P

Cheers
~~~~
JeanDo, http://ostc-planner.net, OSTC Mk.2 1455, 2N 2799, DR5 171.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

I'm supporting the sudoko idea :-) How about a touch screen like the iphone?
Regards

Peter

OSTC 2N #2338
Regthing

Post by Regthing »

Good old fashioned space invadors! Left and right with autofire :)
Scott
wrobell

Post by wrobell »

antop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 2. Get me to the surface quick mode? if i need to
> get to the surface quickly in an emergency and am
> willing to decompress using a more aggressive
> setting eg normal dive 20-85gf emergency mode
> 50-90gf gets me shallow quickly with less gas
> (granted more risk of dci) kind of like a fast
> bailout mode?

GF is displayed, so just follow its value between numbers you think is worth taking the risk.

w
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Hi all

Refering to PeterK's suggestion of a touchscreen and while we are talking about hardware changes, I much rather would prefer if its was possible to go back to a battery that can be changed by the user. Maybe Matthias can enlighten us what the rational behinde the decision of HW was to switch to Non User changable battery. This feature was actually one of the contributing factors when ordering the MKII. According was my disapointment when I got the 2N and found out that I could not change the battery myself.

But to make it quite clear i absolutly love the 2N. Its a brilliant piece of equipment.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Longli

Post by Longli »

My battery is 2 years old (215 TG) and like new.
I have no problem to sending him after 5-6 years.
OSTC MK2 407
tiefunten

Post by tiefunten »

@ Hansjoerg: Service at HW is very quick. I'm sure that you will have your unit back within one week if battery has to be changed. Furthermore I think that it is better to have less holes in my unit which may let water in - so in my opinion it is ok to have a battery that is not user exchangeable. It also costs only 29€ at the moment, including check of the unit - compared to other companies this is nothing.

On Topic: Emergency mode is not necessary - just follow the displayed GF values and hold them within a certain limit like wrobell already said. In fact, this is a very simple method and does not make it necessary to press some buttons at all and make the menues more complicated.

Sudoku is problematic because of only 2 buttons - but I like the space-invaders idea!
sailor

Post by sailor »

You are looking for a Trimix-divecomputer with all features needed for diving > go for a MK2

You are looking for a underwater-PC with all possible features > go for a DR5

Suggestion 3 is ok despite.

Reiner
Solodiver

Post by Solodiver »

JeanDo Wrote:
> 2/ is discussed. DR5 have an urgency mode that
> changes GF to 95/95 (one more CF). In fact, I
> think the most tricky part is where to put that in
> the interface so you will find it in panic mode,
> still not firing it by error...

Yes, we had this one or two times already. I'm with wrobell, GF% is already displayed. In this particular case it would be really nice to see the GF after surfacing :-)
If you go for an emergency mode: Why not just switch to plain Bühlmann, maybe disabling some safety settings? If you go for a GF settings I'd suggest to use >=100% in case of an emergency, but as said before, there is no need if one can check the GF% all the time.

Just my EUR 0,02
Jan
~~~
MK2 1076

my wish list: http://heinrichsweikamp.net/forum/read.php?2,4649
sailor

Post by sailor »

Solodiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JeanDo Wrote:

> If you go for an emergency mode: Why not just
> switch to plain Bühlmann,
>
> Just my EUR 0,02
> Jan

i don't think it is possible to switch the mode under water
Solodiver

Post by Solodiver »

But changig GF is?
~~~
MK2 1076

JeanDo

Post by JeanDo »

We can programm whatever we want (different GF, switching to plain buhlmann, changing Buhlmann margins, etc...). The really good question is what does make sens...
Maybe a bigger display of GF value would the best solution for the emergency feature.

Regards,

Space invaders looks nice. Casse brique (breaking the wall?) too. Have to think about it... ;-)
~~~~
JeanDo, http://ostc-planner.net, OSTC Mk.2 1455, 2N 2799, DR5 171.
Solodiver

Post by Solodiver »

Bigger GF% display also came into my mind and I would go for it but then the users have to know how to handle them. They are used to see deco ceilings. And also switching the display in an emergency situation is not a good idea, you have to rely on as much known things as possible then. Maybe switching to a floating ceiling not depending on the 3m steps is an other option? This is what one would do following a max GF anyway. Configuring the max GF (if you would go for the GF raise) would make sense IMHO.

And a Breakout clone also sounds nice :-). Two buttons for the game play is enough, you should think about a way to leave the game (by pressing Right twice or three times f.i.).
Would it be easier to port Snake from DR5 other than coding a whole new game?

Thx,
Jan
~~~
MK2 1076