OSTC unable to connect

Legacy OSTC's
Lukas

OSTC unable to connect

Post by Lukas »

Hi guys this is my problem : I´ve a new OSTC and a windows vista pc and xp laptop! If i plug the ostc into my pc all other usb ports around aren´t functioning anymore , the battery won´t be loaded too! i´ve downloaded the septup file from the FTDI site but it is still not working because the bootloader or jdivelog can´t find any com ports! If i plug the ostc into my xp laptop and do the whole thing the com ports will be found but i get a warning from xp that there is "overvoltage" and again i´am not able to load or update the ostc ....
I´am sitting every night in front of my computer to solve the problem please help me i´ve just a third of the battery left :-/

greetings
Lukas

Re: OSTC unable to connect

Post by Lukas »

its vista 64 BIT if that is nessecary to know!
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Hi Lukas,

My two cents worth.
Have you tried another Laptop or PC, other than your own, to see whether it charges alright?
Can you give us the exact message you get on your XP Laptop (PrintScreen)?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

The computer needs to be ON when you plug it or try to establish a connection.
OSTC MK2 1394
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

So i tried it at the pc ´s at work the bootloader showed me a COM PORT3 but if i press check connection this message is coming :

Connectd to \\.\COM3 at 115200
Searching for PIC ...
"*K" not found, instead found:"ÁÁ". Abort.
ERROR!

if i press the update firmware button following message is comming:

Connected to \\.\COM3 at 115200
HEX: 6 min old, INHX32,18Fcode+cfg, total=81556 bytes.
Searching for PIC ...
"*K" not found, instead found:"ÁÁ". Abort.
ERROR!
Not found!
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Hang on. Lukas, what are you trying to do? Just connect the 2N and for example download dives? Or are you trying to do a firmware upgrade?

Before you can do a firmware upgrade you need to get the connection working i.e download the dives.
If you just want to download dives and configure CF settings then you don't need the Bootloader, just the correct FTDI driver...

...and yes the computer would have to be turned on!
;)
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I tried both to update the ostc and to upload the data with divelog, at my job with the windows 7 computers it was possible to find the COM PORTS but getting this abort messages! I tried to load the ostc via "power socket" i hope thats the correct word and the usb loader from appel but again the battery is not loading :-/

I downloaded the setup from the recommended FTDI site and installed it
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

To charge you OSTC you need to plug it into the USB port of the computer.

To download dives to DivingLog you need to install the correct FTDI driver.
You need to know if Windows is 32 of 64 bit and then install the corresponding driver from
FTDI drivers
Don't install the Beta release.

What Firmware version do you have installed on you new OSTC 2N? In surface mode at the very top it says V2.00 or V1.90 depending on the version of FW.

Read this forum entry to find out if you need to do an update of the FW.
Firmware Upgrade
and how to do it.

First you need to walk before you run....

Oder wäre deutsch einfacher?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I think i´ve found the problem the USB 2 to Micro B cable has a short circuit at pin1 I´ll buy a new cable tomorrow and see if it works! That would solve some mysteries like the non function of USB Ports next to the OSTC USB port!I hope the OSTC is not damaged by the short circuit in the cable
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

good luck...;)
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Hi is the cable really a micro B - USB? The one from the electronic market looks a bit different with the pins inside :-/
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Lukas,

In anbetracht deines neuen posts nimm doch mit HW bezüglich des USB kables kontakt auf...

In relation to your new post, I would suggest you contact HW about the USB cable directly...
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

Hi mate,

Any "micro USB" to usb cable will work. My wife has a HTC phone and its cable works. Same thing with my galaxy S.

First of all you need to be able to download your dives then figure out how to upgrade. I believe that the issue you are having comes down to the order in which you installed the drivers and plugged in the ostc hardware to your pc.

Try the following (and lets hope it works the fist time)

Download and install the drivers for the OSTC usb chip.

http://www.heinrichsweikamp.com/en/ostc ... _software/

Bottom of the page under "Driver for USB Interface"

or

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Download and install the relevant driver for your machine.

Once installed plug the OSTC and see if it gets recognised.

If you are able to do this now install a log software such as Jdivelog, Divinglog or subsurface.

If you can't establish a connection then you'll need to plug the computer and "play" with windows until you find the driver that was wrongly associated to the chip and delete it. Then start again. Make sure you install the drivers first and then plug the computer. (BTW this is the reason why every manufacturer asks you to install their software first and then plug in the hardware. This is not a unique problem of HW but a Windoze issue)

D
OSTC MK2 1394
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Dmainou

Lukas had a problem with the USB cable and is now whinging that he gets lousy support from HW. The poor thing had to go out and buy another cable (and neglected to check that the connector would fit at the 2N connection). A sharp knife and a little bit of shaving off of the plastic solved that problem for him.

As far as I can gather from his other post, its working now. I am not quite sure whether he appreciates the help from the forum members though.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM