CCR setpoint changing with OSTC 2n

Legacy OSTC's
alcyone06

CCR setpoint changing with OSTC 2n

Post by alcyone06 »

Can anyone help...
I usually dive Inspiration CCR with Vision electronics and am used to automatic setpoint changes with preset depths on the vision computer. It appears that this cannot be done the same with the OSTC. I have read threads where the general approach seems to be to leave it on a setpoint of 1.3 for the whole dive rather than trying manually to change setpoints underwater.
Understanding the basics of the OSTC in CCR mode, in that it can be programmed with 3 setpoints, can someone not write a new CF to allow it to automatically switch setpoints at preset depths in order that it follows what the vision computer is doing.
Example..setpoint 1 (0.7) changes on way down to setpoint 2 (1.3) at selected depth of around 20m. On return, changing back to setpoint 1 at 7m. Happy to manually change to setpoint 3 (1.4) if doing O2 rich deco.
Is it really too hard to programme the OSTC to carry out this function?
DTR.Diver66

Re: CCR setpoint changing with OSTC 2n

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

Hello alcyone06,

automatic setpoint changes have often been desired by some usern. Unfortunately, Matthias has not yet persuaded to implement this desire. But there is still hope for the future.

Regards
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

Thanks for your response, this feature would be very helpful considering the task loading on descent and ascent with the CCR.
I am not fully happy with just leaving it on one setpoint for the entire dive as some users do, as it is then not fully representative of the deco status.

I do not think that this feature is too much of a luxury to ask for.

Regards
DTR.Diver66

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

(tu)
ple

Post by ple »

+1
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

Just had a read of the Shearwater Petrel manual listing how to use the auto setpoint changing for CCR.....it obviously can be done!

This is a feature that is useful for Tec/CCR diving. Do not really care how the style of diving is labelled, but leaving the CCR vision handset to change setpoints automaticaFlly, then having to do it manually on the OSTC backup is not helpful. OC "tec" divers may not see this feature as any use to them but CCR divers such as myself see it as useful.

I know the sarcastic answer will be "go buy a Shearwater" but I would rather support the development of the OSTC. We have CF's to change the colour of displays that some people see as important, some of us would like this feature to be considered
DTR.Diver66

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

Hello alcyone06,

HW just integrate more CF'S for the Safety Stop Feature. Probably they want to sell more OSTC to recreational divers. HW have promised desired extensions for a long time for technical divers, which were unfortunately not implemented until today. Let's see whether the changes in the future will be.

Regards
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

Thanks for the reply DTR, I can see that this 2.57 beta appears to have made changes that have been asked for in the past.

All I want is to start the ball rolling with my request and to see if this feature can be considered in the future.

Alcyone06
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User »

Sorry, but that's BS. The OSTC is by far the most technical and geeky computer available - At least the Mk.2 design I still have ;)

lg,
Jo
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

I give up!

You ask a straight question and it becomes this!

Off diving and I will not bother again, thanks for everyone's help.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

Some hardcore technical diving features we recently added:
- ppO2 in case of a loop flush can be displayed in CCR mode
- Fixed Setpoint behavior >2,55bar ppO2
- Decoplanner OC volumes in liters (or bars), up to 65000
- Future TTS (@xx Variant) in Custom View (Divemode)
- Display hypoxic air in divemode
- Cave divers consomation display and alarm (CF59)
- Added GF surface display (when > CF08)
- Deco mode "pSCR-GF": Computes deco and CNS based on pSCR parameters (CF62/63)
- Blink better gas in bailout case (if CF42=1)
- Show GF in NDL (If GF > CF08)
- Divisor Decoplan (CF25) stores entire decoplan in logbook
- 5 Gases extra for CC
- aGF: Alternative GF (CF67 and CF68). Can be switched underwater if CF69=1

No one said automatic setpoint changes are difficult to include but it's currently not worked on this feature.

Posting (and emailing) this "request" under different names and accounts won't help, too.

Cheers,
Matthias
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

Thanks for the reply....

This has not been posted under any other name or account, just posted it on this thread, then asked on the other thread as it was relating to new software changes and saw it as an opportunity to ask again.

That's me told.
tomi

Post by tomi »

I think that automatic setpoint changes would be a good feature for CCR divers. I support the idea!

Tomi.
David Boileau

Post by David Boileau »

I'm diving a rEvo mCCR with hardwired Shearwater predator (reading the cells), with OSTC as backup for deco

I'm still a beginner with the rEvo (30 dives only and only air as diluent until now) and now I'm diving this way (controlling MANUALLY my PPO2 with the kiss valve flow and add O2 / add dil buttons):

OSTC is configured with 0.7 as setpoint 1
I start in surface with a PPO2 > 0.7
Then I go to 7/8m, injecting pure O2 in the loop to see if the cells are getting above 1.6
Then I flush dil until I get a PPO2 around 0.7, I go down and let the ADV injects until I reach my target depth.

When I've reached this depth, I manually injects O2 until my displays (Predator and HUD of the revodreams) give me around 1.3 and I switch the OSTC to the second programmed setpoint (1.15 - to be sure to always have the OSTC under real PPO2, with a safety margin)

It has happened to me (and to friends too, with way more experience than me) to forget to switch the setpoint on the OSTC... 100% my fault... But it would be nice to have a programmed CF "depth to switch to second setpoint" : zero (default value) meaning no automatic switch, a value meaning auto switching at this depth... But this becomes then a crucial value and should be shown on the surface screen with the other crucials parameters (GF, decotype, gaslist, depth of last stop, ...) - And if any setpoint switch is done manually BEFORE reaching this target depth, no more auto switch should occur.

I can live without this auto setpoint switch but it would be nice to have it, and I see no difficulty to implement this functionality.

I would use it for major, heavily planned dives only (with a clear planned depth and a heavy deco)

David
DTR.Diver66

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

Santa Claus, please can we have this feature for christmas? It would be so nice.
Touchwood

Post by Touchwood »

I think this would be a fantastic feature to add to the custom function set! Anything that reduces task loading for a diver can only be a good thing and I'd imagine, certainly in the majority of cases anyway, a diver is going to want to have the OSTC accurately reflect the PPo2 that he/she is breathing. An automatic switch would remove the chance that a diver may forget to change the setpoint at a given time for whatever reason. I think to have this switch automatically would be a great feature. The option to manually switch could be left there too in case someone needs this.

Merry Christmas all!

Dave
OSTC 2N #2791
kscksc

Post by kscksc »

HI ..
I also dive with an inspi-Vision and OSTC.

On Vision i start dive with setpoint 0.7 - the switch to 1.3 i prefer manually, because it depends on the dive.

On Ascend, normaly i flush with Oxygen at 6 Meter.
On trimix dives, i don't change the diluent.
When i do long and deep trimix dives, the the problem of fast increasing CNS% while long 6m stops has to ben solved.

So it's my way to leave 6 m as fast as possible, i follow the ceiling from the vision. That brings me faster and more efficient deco. So i leave the model of the OSTC. The OSTC is set to last deco-Step at 3 m.

I Think, thats not a critical strategy: if the vision "dies" in that situation, i know the rest of minutes and follow the OSTC.

My OSTC has the same GF's as the vision.

The Setpoint at OSTC is 1.25, fixed for the whole dive.
With that settings, i have some little minutes differences between both systems.

The reason for 1.25 on OSTC is the messumeasuring inaccuracy of the Sensor-system in the vision.

My opinion is, that the deco-algorythms depend much more form external parameters ( especially temperature = freezing, dehydration = to little drinking ) than on some minutes of deco-calculation. So i must be on the safer side.

All these things ( including the start with the "wrong" setpoint ) does not force the differences between both systems so much, maximum some minutes.

Regards
Konrad
alcyone06

Post by alcyone06 »

kscksc

thanks for your input on this and I can see why you dive in this way with the OSTC.

I can see that running the OSTC on an "average" setpoint throughout the dive will bring the deco calculation on it close to what the vision will produce, and in practice most of use would clear both computers before surfacing.

My original question to the forum was more based around that the way some of us CCR divers use the OSTC as a backup to the vision...with the vision set to automatic setpoint changing. On the ascent whilst trying to control the CCR's changing bouyancy, as well as the drysuit, in a current on a shotline whilst watching the vision handset...then on top of all that having to manually change the OSTC setpoint is one task that would be nice to not have to do.
DTR.Diver66

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

(tu)
subaqua steve

Post by subaqua steve »

+1 (tu)
NickB

Post by NickB »

When I bought my OSTC last year, this was one of the first features I tried to set. I couldn't believe it was not possible. This is such a basic requirement for CCR diving. There are more that 60 custom functions, most of which are of no interest at all, yet the ability to auto-switch setpoint is omitted - crazy.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User »

RTFM....
smcmullan

Post by smcmullan »

I think it would be a nice feature that a lot of owners would like.

Personally I do not think it would make a great deal of difference to me. I agree with Konrad's / kscksc approach explained in his post above. Sounds similar to how I do my diving and really the difference between my Vision and OSTC backup (set to 1.3 p02) is very small in the overall context of the dive.

However I do use a bit of voodoo (Konrad referenced some of these other factors) but I guess the role of a computer is to automate what you can so I think automatic setpoint changes - yeah why not! It can only be beneficial for the product.
Stephen McMullan
Dublin, Ireland
OSTC MK2 #850
www.technicaldiving.ie
garylegge

Post by garylegge »

Not a function of much use for me with a stand alone computer. The difference between say a 0.7 set point during the descent and 1.3 once on the bottom is negligible. Pre set it to your bottom set point and leave it. There are far more desirable features needed such as a real time gf display, bailout tts display while on loop etc.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

garylegge Wrote:
> set point and leave it. There are far more
> desirable features needed such as a real time gf
> display,

Set CF08 (GF Display) to 2% and (If using 2.29 or newer) CF66 to ON.

regards,
Matthias