OSTC 3

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
MariuszK

OSTC 3

Post by MariuszK »

Hi,

Few days ego I come back from diving safari, on board of boat were three ostc 3 and all of them failed after or during fourth dive.
Computer was showing wrong temp. i.e. -23.4 deg C, depth was frozen.
I removed battery later on to reset computer and everything was ok on surface, but during next dive again crazy readings appeared on computer i.e. depth 146m, real depth 40 meters.
Second computer could not be restarted, after battery was removed and fitted back owner was able to start computer and then computer switched of itself, and it was happening each time after battery was removed.

Regards,
Mariusz
kaheksa

Re: OSTC 3

Post by kaheksa »

Same thing here max depth 150m and temp -273C
Next dive it just restarded after 10 minutes and depth 120m
OSTC 2C - 7135
MariuszK

Post by MariuszK »

I do not know what is wrong, just heard another computer bought in same place failed. My one was sent back and I'm waiting for feedback.
I'm really disappointed I choose this computer because HW is not new in this business and was counting for something really foolproof but few computers with same problem in short time do not look good.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Hi MariuszK,
the computer uses a pressure sensor to calculate the depth. This sensor is temperature compensated. I think there is a hardware problem with this sensor. During the last 8 years I had this problem with different manufatures.
MariuszK

Post by MariuszK »

Hi Mario,

Thanks for info, it looks like faulty series of pressure sensors was fitted to computers which were bought by me and my friends. Most probably I will get new one hopefully with good press. sensor.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Hi MariuzK,
I know the HW Service. It is inpressiv who the handel faulty computers and I am sure they will found a quick solution for you.
The HW Service is very good.
urbcla

Post by urbcla »

We ordered six OSTC3 computers with SN in the range of 270. Only four of these have been used and two failed on the first dive showing depths of 160m. The two failed computes was quickly replaced and last weekend one of the replaced computers with SN in the range of 800 failed. This time the depth was stuck at 5m on it's seventh dive.

Seems to me that there is some serious issue with this computers or depth sensors. Could the been damaged during soldering or maybe by the epoxy moulding compund? If there is a batch of faulty sensors maybe all faulty sensors should be replaced?

Would be nice with a good explanation of whats wrong? At this point I have zero confidence and trust in my new computer. Even though my units has been ok for the six dives I've done with it.
MariuszK

Post by MariuszK »

My faulty OSTC3 was replaced for new one and like urbcla I do not have confidence in my new computer, instead of reliable equipment I have nice looking computer and that all.
I'm wondering why heinrichsweikamp doesn't release explanation what is the reason of problem with OSTC3, because distributor from whom I bought computer told me that 25% of computers was returned and most probably this is not all because some of computers were not used yet.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Bad supply issues... But we'll take care of that currently.

Cheers,
Matthias
hploch

Post by hploch »

which serialnumbers are affected?
MariuszK

Post by MariuszK »

Thank you Matthias for explanation.
urbcla

Post by urbcla »

I would like to get a bit more technical information of the problem with OSTC3.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User »

Btw.: Is it true that the OSTC3 can receive wireless tank sensors in hardware?

Jo
mthulin

Post by mthulin »

First dive with my brand new OSTC3, at about 22 meters the screen started to flicker, then after a while went totaly dead, but could still se some light from the LCD.

Tried to connect it to the Computer at home, and it was possible to download the Dive, all data loked ok, but the screen is still dead.

Will go to my diveshop tomorrow and return the computer for replacement.

//Mikael
Frappawotsit

Post by Frappawotsit »

I went through 3 OSTC3's, all sent back with the same issues, failed depth sensors. I lost confidence in the product, but have to say HW were always fantastic. I now swapped it
for a 2c, and so far I am very happy with it!In fact, now I'm using it, I prefer the buttons and the rechargeable battery on the 2c, but I prefer the size and casing of the 3. I don't regret my change back to a 2c at all though, it's a great unit!
After 3x Failed OSTC3's... I finally settled for an OSTC2c (#7138).... So far, so good!!!!
Rougaille

Post by Rougaille »

Dear All,

This thread seems quite negative about pressure/depth sensors.

We need more info :

- How many OSTC3 owners are concerned ?
- How many owners have no issue ?
- Please give product number in both cases (and how many dives)

My OSTC3 is #59 and working perfectly (6 dives) !

Regards,

Rougaille.
restn2

Post by restn2 »

My OSTC3 is #560 and working perfectly (25 dives)!
mthulin

Post by mthulin »

#611, not working - on the way to HW for repair. (2 dives with it...)
karlklungland

Post by karlklungland »

I have returned 2 OSTC 3 to dealer. One froze with depth 7m. The other one lost USB connection :-(
sergiofa

Post by sergiofa »

OSTC3, one unit, unable to read serial number, not working, only 2 dives.
MariuszK

Post by MariuszK »

Replaced OSTC3 failed during forth dive. Now I am going to wait for hopefully new series of computers with good pressure sensor. Maybe it would be good idea to do what did other diving computer manufacturer and use pressure sensors from Switzerland.
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

- The OSTC/DRx/DR5 sensors are from Intersema/MEAS. This is a swiss manufacturer.

- Many dive computer manufacturers use sensors from this company (e.g. Suunto, UEMIS). Those manufacturers are not exempt from trouble with these sensors.

- The "Made in Switzerland" like any product from any other countries are not exempt from bad batch.
urbcla

Post by urbcla »

Would be nice to get some information from HW about what the problem with the OSTC3 is and what you are doing to solve the problem. Mine is still working but my buddies computers have died and the replacments they got have died. Some died on the first dive and some lasted as much as 10 dives.

Right now I'm diving with my old Suunto as primary with my Uwatec BT as backup. The OSTC3 is at the bottom of the pocket, checking it after every dive kind wishing it has failed since I have no confidence in the unit.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

urbcla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would be nice to get some information from HW
> about what the problem with the OSTC3 is and what
> you are doing to solve the problem.

We have evaluated different design changes for the OSTC3 in the last weeks and this changes are now put into production. We'll resume OSTC3 shipping in a few weeks. I'll put up a sticky post for this in a few minutes.

Regards,
Matthias
urbcla

Post by urbcla »

What could be said about the reliability of the current OSTC3 used by your customers? Are these units reliable or are they going to be recalled/replaced?