OSTC3 safety stop

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
DennisA

OSTC3 safety stop

Post by DennisA »

Why did the safety stop feature not make it to the OSTC3?

Regards

Dennis
Manohulu

Re: OSTC3 safety stop

Post by Manohulu »

Hi Dennis,

I'm looking for the same feature...
If you find the solution please share it, I'll do the same.

Cheers,
Emmanuel
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
DennisA

Post by DennisA »

The stopwatch function which will do the job, but still, automatic countdown would be neat!
Manohulu

Post by Manohulu »

It is a custom fonction CF65 (on OSTC Planner)...
I'm looking a software to modify it because OSTC Planner do not recognise my OSTC3 or OSTC3 generally...
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
DennisA

Post by DennisA »

I dont think the CFs apply to the OSTC3
Rob

Post by Rob »

Only OSTC2 uses custom functions.

Regards
Rob
Home: http://www.angermayr.eu
email: ostctools@angermayr.eu
Home of OSTC Tools: http://ostctools.angermayr.eu
HWOSConfig for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.angermayr.hwosconfig
Manohulu

Post by Manohulu »

So I understand that there is no chance to get safety stop and altimeter actually on OSTC3 v1.23
OSTC2N is better for that, bad news for me...
Hopefully I dive with an other dive computer no so best by night in Leman's Lake.
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
DennisA

Post by DennisA »

There is a chance, but you will either depend on your own coding capabilities, or hope that the HeinrichsWeilkamp team will hear our prayers.

Since they made the functionality for the OSTC2, I suppose, that is it a fairly simple task to move it into the OSTC3.

I understand that there was a lot of discussion about if a safety stop feature was needed on the technical dive computer OSTC2, but since the OSTC3 is more pointed towards the recreative diver, i believe that the feature belongs here too.

Best regards

Dennis
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hi everyone,
[left][/left]
OSTC3 is a technical computer of diving,
[left][/left]
Thus why add an useless function for a technical diver,
[left][/left]
This function already exists with the Chrono, to make your "safety stop" which you wish,
[left][/left]
Make an additional "safety stop" It's well, but why make ? if you made your deco normally,
[left][/left]
If you did not make your deco normally, I hope that you know apply the procedures that one taught you, they are not inevitably the 3 mn with 3m which will solve the problem!
[left][/left]
Before diving you must know the answers to "what if"?
[left][/left]
Regards,
[left][/left]
Cheers ;)
ClaudeDive ><)))))°> OSTC3 #2430 <°(((((><
Manohulu

Post by Manohulu »

Yes you're right ClaudeDive, but OSTC2 is a technical dive computer too so why there is this function in?

It is not an so useless function it is just a plus. My technical trainer said that is weird (he has an OSTC2)
All my decos are done correctly but my other computer (previous and backup now) give me this safety stop. I wanna be safe for myself and more deco is not a waste of time.

Best,
Emmanuel
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hi Emmanuel,
[left][/left]
The stopwatch use is it complicated?
[left][/left]
The dive time displayed in seconds is it not enough?
[left][/left]
Is it difficult to add 3mn at dive time displayed in seconds?
[left][/left]
If you assume that the longest decompression is the best or your safety is better, why don't stay 3mn extra after your safety stop of 3 minutes and why not 6mn or 9mn!
[left][/left]
This procedure does not make sense, the safety stop for normal decompression have been invented, often for legal aspect, by manufacturers for their dive computer leisure to further increase the level of safety of which is already a very good level,
[left][/left]
With OSTC3 or 2 you can greatly increase your safety if you know correctly set "GF Low" and "GF High" or "% Saturation" and "% Desaturation" to adjust these parameters of these technical diving computers that can of course be used for recreational diving but it is not the original idea of their design,
[left][/left]
The best comparison you can do is make a square dive as 30mn to 30m with decompression tables and you will verify that your computer gives you the same time or supperior decompression time, even without your 3mn safety stop,
[left][/left]
The safety stop function has been added to OSTC2 and it is not the best idea for improvement of this computer, there is only read the large number of messages on the subject, to be convinced,
[left][/left]
I hope I never see this feature on OSTC3 if you think answer NO to the 1st and 3rd question of the beginning of this message,
[left][/left]
Regards,
[left][/left]
Cheers ;)
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

ClaudeDive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The safety stop function has been added to OSTC2
> and it is not the best idea for improvement of
> this computer, ...

We've had this discussion already and the safety stop
feature made it into the OSTC2...

Ok, let us stop talking about "Safety stop". Let us talk from
now on about "Minimum Deco", what do you think about it then?
Every deco model needs some kind of "Minimum Deco", even with
NDL-Dives...
regards,
scubatinoo

> OSTC 2N 3705 & OSTC 2 18807 <
DTR.Diver66

Post by DTR.Diver66 »

Hello scubatinoo,

i would prefer a Minimum DECO too, instead of the SafetyStop for the OSTC 2 and OSTC 3.

Regards
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hi,[left][/left]
The minimum decompression is already defined by the HW manufacturer with the Settings defaults to " GF Low " and " GF High " or " % Saturation " and "% desaturation ."
[left][/left]
It is the manufacturer's responsibility to set these defaults at the use of his computer by divers more or less experienced whose recreational diver is a part,
[left][/left]
These default settings are not easy to implement because of the use multi-gas and two diffrents algorithm, I also think that they are not in all cases enough preservative currently,
[left][/left]
The experienced diver , he will know set these parameters on its own basis of these criteria and its experience with comparison with other means of decompression,
[left][/left]
The minimum of the one isn't the minimum for the other , it's where the problem starts , we could write a book on decompression, but others have written before us and especially better than us ...
[left][/left]
For the rest as " safety stop ", the " compass offset " with the arrow That is going well and other Christmas tree flashing in all directions ...
[left][/left]
I pray ... I pray every night for that HW keep in its final design choices focused on clarity and ease of use OSTC3 as is currently the case today, OSTC3 much simpler and easier to use than its big brother OSTC2,
[left][/left]
Regards,
[left][/left]
Cheers ;)
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

ClaudeDive, read what you wrote...

ClaudeDive Wrote:
> ...
> The minimum decompression is already defined by
> the HW manufacturer with the Settings defaults to
> " GF Low " and " GF High " or " % Saturation "
> and "% desaturation ."
> ....
> The minimum of the one isn't the minimum for the
> other, it's where the problem starts

Exactly! That's why it is recommended to add extra
safety to every dive! Some call it "safety stopp", others
call it "minimum deco".

If you find a setting that will match 100% of every
dives and 100% of every diver to make them 100% safe,
i guess this kind of divecomputer won't let you
enter the water at all... :-)

Btw, you are using the divecomputer at your own risk. Neither HW or any other manufacturers are responsible for the settings or defaults.
regards,
scubatinoo

> OSTC 2N 3705 & OSTC 2 18807 <
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hi ,
[left][/left]
Language problem ! on dive computers ,
[left][/left]
" Safetystop " for me it's an extra stop "X" minutes when you have respected and normally finished your decompression.
[left][/left]
"deco minimum " for me it is safe decompression for 99.99 of the population and therefore not another way of naming the " Safetystop "
[left][/left]
I never made " Safetystop " of my life on a normal decompression and respected , doctor! I am sick ? NO THANKS I am in perfect health!
[left][/left]
The initial question is the usefulness of incorporating the " Safetystop " to OSTC3 ?
[left][/left]
My opinion is that NO, because I know mentally add "X" mn to my final dive time, plus I know how to use the chrono of OSTC3 . I do not see the point of creating a function that exists in another form !
[left][/left]
Now , everyone is responsible for not doing or doing the " Safetystop " to you to see and know the right duration otherwise you stay in the water and empty your Tank ! but without me ... I have confidence in my settings and my OSTC3, I 'm not a anxious ... but very lucid.
[left][/left]
It's my OSTC3 user's opinion, I give my opinion on the forum, thanks;
[left][/left]
Pity! we do not speak the same language , we could have talked about this during a long winter evening ...
[left][/left]
For me this subject is closed .
[left][/left]
Regards,
[left][/left]
Cheers ;)
Manohulu

Post by Manohulu »

Your opinion as you say is your opinion, mine is different sorry...
I think that this feature have been added to OSTC2 for a great reason not an opinion.

Regards,
Emmanuel
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
fyb

Post by fyb »

hi

for me, a safty stop is only usefully when doing a no decompression dive. normaly i do it between 3m and 5m for about 3mn. if i have to do decompression - why do than a safty stop afterwards? that makes no sense at all (when looking at decopression theorie) and i agree completly with ClaudeDive

regards
Fredy
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Hi

It looks like more and more OSTC3 customers are requesting the safety stop feature.

I use my OSTC3 in simple dives without deco as well as in more complicated dives with deco: we are talking about security here with the safety stop feature, the OSTC3 must be able to provide the necessary security for all types of dives.
So if some diver thinks he can do without it, many other like me require it.

Instead of comments from divers hindering the evolution of our investment, I would like to have a statement from HW about a coming development of that much wanted feature.

Cheers
Ludo
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Ludo Wrote:
> Instead of comments from divers hindering the
> evolution of our investment, I would like to
> have a statement from HW about a coming
> development of that much wanted feature.

We think that a computer-shown "safety stop" does not increase divers safety. It has been added to the OSTC2 to stop an aggressive discussion between supporters and opponents of such a feature.

regards,
Matthias
Manohulu

Post by Manohulu »

heinrichsweikamp Wrote:

> We think that a computer-shown "safety stop" does
> not increase divers safety. It has been added to
> the OSTC2 to stop an aggressive discussion between
> supporters and opponents of such a feature.

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply and interest to this post...

We do not ask a simple display of words "safety stop" but a countdown.

I followed more than one diving program, PADI, CMAS and SSI. Each certification program recommend, not mandatory but recommend to do this safety stop to increase divers safety.

Doing every dives with DECO are also not recommended (as I learned), like more than one diver, I also dive with no deco and I use the stopwatch to do this safety stop, it is not the easiest way...
It could be a good idea to implement this feature where each user have to enable if they want.

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Emmanuel
OSTC3 #2315 v3.01
Switzerland
fyb

Post by fyb »

todo a safty stop on every dive is a good thing i always do. and it is very easy, just wait a 3 minutes at end of a dive (you can check that on your divetime) on either 3 or 5 meter.

to use stopwatch for that or implemet someting in a more technical oriented computer is nonsens (my opionon!). i'd rather prefer a easy to use and clean display like it is now. please don't spoil this nice machine with useless stuff that just eats up resources at end.

reg
fredy
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Hi everyone,

If I read the product tag line correctly, it says:

"Our OSTC 3 is the perfect fit for recreational
divers with an interest in technically
challenging dives"

So, definitely not just for technical dives.

Matthias, if the feature is already implemented on the OSTC2, it should be pretty simple for you to import it on the OSTC3. This way you would make happier customers and attract the ones not buying that product because of this lack.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Ludo
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi all,

In the next version you can enable the safety stop in "Deco Mode" menu:
[img]file.php?6,file=558,filename=settings.png[/img]

It will be shown in yellow above the NDL time:
[img]file.php?6,file=557,filename=safetystop.png[/img]

Hope this helps,
Matthias
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Hey, good news!!
Thanks Matthias and team for the integration of the safety stop!

Looking foward to the next firmware :-)

Ludo