how to: OSTC Sport via Bluetooth to Companion?

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
max

how to: OSTC Sport via Bluetooth to Companion?

Post by max »

I have installed the Companion; the Bluetooth link to Subsurface works. However I seem to be going in circles trying to connect my Sport to the Companion using Bluetooth. The Companion complains about "no port" and a missing FTDI driver. The Bluetooth connection is via COM9, but the Companion dropdown menu in the settings window is empty. I had a read though the FTDI driver manual for windows but that looks like for a hardware device connection. I must be doing something trivial wrong, but don't know what. Any ideas what to do or where to look? This is not urgent as yet, but I guess in future I will need to update the software. And I guess the "personal text" describd in the OSTC Sport manual is set from within the Companion? Apologies for this long message.
Max.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: how to: OSTC Sport via Bluetooth to Companion?

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

You can try to change the com port number in the device manager to a lower number.

You do not need any FTDI drivers at all, the warning from the companion can be ignored.

If this does not work, copy the attached .exe file into the OSTC Companion installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\OSTC Companion 0.21.1) and run the .exe.

It allows entering the COM Port freely (Just enter "COM9" into the port field).

Regards,
Matthias
max

Post by max »

Hi Matthias and thanks for the prompt reply. I'm hopeful that I'll be successful in the end, but for now I have other error messages pop up when I try the exe you sent me. I'll need to look into those first. Thanks again!
Yours, Max
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

My virtual port is not shown too . Just COM1, so the connection is (for me) not able to work.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I tried with a lower port, it doesnt works. I have the same problem like Poster max. Subsurface is connecting with port com 9. All other software diving log, compangnion, OSTC-tools i tried, is not able to open the port or right port is not shown. Almost violation access, not able to open port messages or a hang-up of the software. Maybe the brandnew OSTC is not supported yet.

(tu)(:P)But anyway

A very nice and good equipment.
divinglog

Post by divinglog »

Hi, when using Diving Log, please make sure you use the "Universal Downloader" for the OSTC Sport. The "OSTC Downloader" works only for the OSTC 2 model. Make also sure you have the latest version 5.0.14 installed to see the OSTC Sport listed in the Universal Downloader.
Diving Log 6.0 - https://www.divinglog.de/
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Thanks, i already found that in the divinglog forum.
(:P) So Diving log works, when this instance is known.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

@heinrichsweikamp
I tried your attached file to start then a windows message Qt5Widgets.dll missing is shown up. "Please reinstall to solve the Problem"

Is the QT Software a Solution?
max

Post by max »

It did not work. First I fixed all the XXX.dll problems (8-10 of them!) with some commercial software and after that the final error was some "could not find Qt platform plugin windows". I then downloaded the whole GB of Qt software and installed it but that did not help either. Then I gave up, so no companion for my OSTC/sport. :-(
Max
max

Post by max »

Still no joy in Diving Log, even with the downloader. Although I can see the connection being started after I input "0000" on my windows machine, the OSTC shows "Download mode enabled", then I get the error "DC STATUS Timeout" in the Diving Log software.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

@max
You have to insert the libEGL.dll, that means the message "Qt platform plugin".
But even the program doesn´t open the port without a failure.

Open port com 9 : Readbyte Error

or a open port 9 : (no answer)

The diving log works fine with universal downloader.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

As far as I know Subsurface will allow firmware updates soon and the "OSTC Tools" will allow configuration of the OSTC settings soon. So, when the companion does not work at your place (It works here on WIN7 64Bit without issues) it may be worth waiting.

Regards,
Matthias
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

@Matthias

Thanks a lot for this information. But its not really urgent for mature products, and for sure it will work soon. You brought a computer for that i was waiting a long time. I am excited.

My system is although a WIN64/Linux64 machine and i will find the issue. Maybe the problem is sitting in front of the machine (:P)
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

My other suspicon was, a poor quality of the bluetooth adapter or a compatibilty issue.

I was right. I bought another adapter Asus BT400 (4.0) instead for my Hama (3.0). And it works fine now and the expected message was directly shown up, servicemode active.(tu)(tu)(tu)

So my recommodation would be to execept some issues with the Bluetooth connection / Adapter.
Further is the Attached file in this case not necessary.

If it is necessary, some files are needed to avoid failure messages like User Max

icudt52.dll,icuin52.dll,icuuc52.dll,libEGL.dll,libGLESv2.dll,Qt5Core.dll,Qt5Gui.dll,Qt5Widgets.dll ect. (Out of the QT Developersoftware)

But i suspect, this files doesn´t creates a better Bluetooth adapter and doesn´t solves the potetial nonconformities. It removes only the failure message without a working connection.

So Matthias is right, it has to work. It depends seemingly on the poor/old Version of the Bluetoothadapter. The bluetooth-parts in the OSTC could be to new for old adpters.

Thanks for patience and your support.
max

Post by max »

Ok, yes, after trying the Asus BT400 it now works! Thanks!