Custom screen layout

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
jak

Custom screen layout

Post by jak »

What layout would you prefer?
Here is my first try - note: depth color is green but as ppO2 is in warning, depth color would be red.

R, J.
jak

Re: Custom screen layout

Post by jak »

Hi All,

Could you please let me know your opinion on these OSTC3 screen layouts?

[img]https://bitbucket.org/repo/dn9reX/image ... OSTC_g.png[/img] .. [img]https://bitbucket.org/repo/dn9reX/image ... TC_rw2.png[/img]
(Note: pictures are linked from bitbucket, let me know if it doesn't work for you)

Content re-aligned with the following changes:
  • Top title row (Depth, Max Depth, Dive time) removed to gain more space for static values.
  • Future-TTS moved out from warning to a static position on the bottom
  • Gas values use the same font sizes (the larger, active gas fonts)
  • Depth does not use the standard color. It uses a new (“ok_color”) which is defined as green. Depth’s color also depends on the current ppO2 value, e.g. turns to red (“warning_color”) not only if you are too deep (hard-coded 130m) but also displayed with red if current depth has higher ppO2 than configured for the current gas
  • Depth in warning blinks with red_on_black black_on_red
  • Dive time and NDL/TTS times don’t use the standard color. These values are displayed with the yellow (“attention_color”)
  • Dive time displays seconds up to 4h (240 minutes)
  • Positions updated or slightly changed for almost all content. Positions defined independently to each other but based on common values (e.g. offsets)
  • Separator lines (grid) used to make easier to read the display:
    • Lines between the top, middle and bottom rows
    • Lines to separate content in the top row: depth others, max depth dive time, warnings and top content (max depth and dive time)
    • Line to separate gas information (and temperature) from NDL/TTS and related info
  • The separator lines (grid) with a static (non-configurable) color: dark red (which looks a bit more purple)
  • The “Stop” (safety stop) text length reduced to 4 characters (from 5, affects only the German “Stopp”) to fit with the rest of the screen items
The color schemes were modified as:
  • Standard renamed to White and moved to the second position
  • Red renamed to Standard and moved to the first position (expected to be least used as red usually means warning) with the modifications:
    • Mask (title): Cyan
    • Standard (values): White
    • Disabled (e.g. gases): Dark green

ToDo:
  • Make other warnings like the missed deco stop warning or the high ascent rate warning blinking red (Depth already blinking)
  • Adjust the color scheme further to align with color blindness issues (see Color Palettes). Note: the current Standard scheme is a step forward but it's not easy as there are standards to be followed:
    • The white/green/yellow/red should mean normal/good/attention/warning information
    • User should be restricted to change settings which would make values unreadable (e.g. black characters on the default black background)
    • Coloring should fit for both the color-blind diver and others like buddy or emergency ppl.

What else would make it even better?

R, J.
KEngelstoft

Post by KEngelstoft »

Hi!

I do like the part about depth changing to red if ppO2 is exceeded.

I don't like the Dive time and NDL/TTS times in yellow (“attention_color”). It should just be the normal color, as there is nothing urgent about these during normal dives.

The separator lines should be disabled per default in my opinion.

Kasper
Best Regards,
Kasper
OSTC3 #576, replaced by OSTC3 #2827
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Another idea may be to remove the temperature from the permanent shown information. This would enable (at least in OC modes) another area for a medium-size information (Like average depth in "WIN_MEDIUM" ).

Matthias
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for the feedback!

KEngelstoft: I forgot that TTS is also displayed with attention (yellow) color, the idea having NDL "highlighted" is that the 3 most important values in every dive computer are depth (already green/red), dive time and NDL. In Tec diving the priorities change so you right, it's not really something for attention. I'll try to make it configurable.

Matthias: Good point! I'll try to make it configurable.

Making these changes now:
  • layout options
    • option to switch between layouts (default, what you see above, and optionally a recreation layout for the future).
    • option to enable/disable grid drawing
    • option to display avg depth (avg for the total divetime) instead of temperature
    • option to have NDL colored (could have 3 choices: normal/standard color, custom color if time<3min, always custom colored)
  • config options to let you chose the colors for the different values:
    • grid color
    • mask (title) color
    • default character color
    • disabled item color
    • TTS color
    • NDL color
R, Janos
swr02djb

Post by swr02djb »

I really like the idea of having the Depth red is the ppO2 max in exceeded.

Other than that my personal preference would be to have the ascent/decent speed to be bigger. It changes quickly and if it goes red the contrast against the black isn't strong enough for me to read. I'd be happy to lose the temperature and the average depth and have this bigger (I don't use either while diving). Just my preference though as pretty happy with it already ;-)

Dan
KEngelstoft

Post by KEngelstoft »

Please don't remove the possibility of getting an average depth readout. It is needed for validating the OSTC deco plan against ratio deco rules.
Best Regards,
Kasper
OSTC3 #576, replaced by OSTC3 #2827