OSTC Sport - Feature Requests / Convince me!

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Duglum

OSTC Sport - Feature Requests / Convince me!

Post by Duglum »

Hello everyone. :)

I thought about getting myself a new Dive Computer for Christmas and i narrowed it down to two Models: Your OSTC Sport and the EANx Version of the xDeep Black.

Why am i writing this here? Well, both Computers are great and cost nearly the same. And while i do prefer the OSTC on the Hardware Side (Aluminum Case, Freedom of Battery choice, Bluetooth), i really like some Software Details about the xDeep Black better.

But since it's only Software, it should be easy to close the gap for HW. Try to convince me why i should buy your product! :)

Having said that, there are three major things i feel the OSTC lacks. Maybe some other Post might add something else i forgot about. :)

1. Gradient Factors. Both Computers allow to select premade conservativity settings, but the Black also allows Users to freely adjust both GF's in +-5 Steps in a mode called "Advanced EANx". I'd like the OSTC Sport to do the same.

2. Compass. While both Computers feature a digital Compass, it seems to be a numerical display only for the Sport. The Black features a Graphical Compass and you can mark a specific bearing which is then shown as a dot on the side of the compass. I'd like the OSTC Sport to do the same.

3. Dive Profile. Both Computers have this feature, but the Sport can only display it in Surface/Logbook Mode. Also, it seems to lack a graphical display of the average depth. The Black can display the current Dive Profile during the Dive, while also displaying stuff like current depth and dive time.

I'd really appreciate any answer from HW or anyone who knows details about the Software of the OSTC Sport. Maybe i just missed something.
Hopefully this will make my decision easier. Thank you. :)
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
swissdiving

Re: OSTC Sport - Feature Requests / Convince me!

Post by swissdiving »

It would actually pay to check out all the other products HW has on offer...
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

Could you explain any further? I don't get it.

As far as the Website tells the only other Computer Products are the OSTC 2 and 3. Both are more expensive by a huge margin and, again, as far as i know, don't offer the Features i asked for. Besides the GF maybe, i believe the OSTC 3 can do that.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

OSTC2c:
1. Freely adjust GF Settings
2. Dive Profile

OSTC3:
1. Freely adjust GF Settings
2. Dive Profile
3. Compass

In the manuals of each computer you find a detailed description of what Features they have.

So the OSTC3 seems to be the dive computer you are looking for.
What type of diving do you mostly do?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

Hello swissdiving, thanks for explaining. I guess you misunderstood or didn't read my first Post.
The Sport also has a Compass and Divelog like the OSTC3, but they are the same. I asked for a graphical compass and a depth profile that is accessible during the Dive. No HW Computer does that. And while the other ones may feature adjustable GF Settings, im not going to pay hundreds more just for those. I don't do TMX, just plain old Air and EANx.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Acutally check out the Forum. There you will find information on the graphical compass. To my knowledge a graphical compass is not planned in the near future by HW.
read.php?6,13087,13738#msg-13738

As for the depth profile during the dive. I can't remember this having been requested before and to be honest I cannot see any reason for it. But then you could enlighten us on the added value that would bring.

If I am not mistaken, the Sport, as opposed to the OSTC2 and 3 is not open source, also to the extent that HW is not implementing feature requests as it does with the 2 & 3. What may happen is that HW uses new Features from the OSTC3 and also implements them on the Sport.If you are prepared to wait for them

In the end, if you want more you have to pay more.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

To be honest, and i'm sorry for being this harsh, i'd like to hear about my ideas from someone from HW. While i appreciate your answers, they are not very helpful and you do not seem to be affiliated with HW in any way.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

1) and 2) are likely to be added at some point in the future.

Since 3) is a rather useless feature (and causes some issues in our code) I don't see a live-profile coming, sorry.

Cheers,
Matthias
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

Hello Matthias,

thanks for your answer. That's nice to hear. 3) isn't that important i guess... i can live with that. ;)

With 1) and 2) being (hopefully) implemented in the future, i guess i've made my decision. :)
Is there any plan at what point you will implement those two features?
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
Duglum

Post by Duglum »

Hello Matthias,
did you see my last question by any Chance?

Also, i've come up with another one: Are there any plans of implementing VPM-B as an optional decompression model?

Thanks.
OSTC Sport #12483
OSTC 2 TR #17196
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

There are no plans for VPM in the OSTC computers and no, I can not promise a date for the requested features, sorry.

regards,
Matthias