New OSTC2c, no dives, "Unexpected reset from Divemode" when USB connected after not powering up

Legacy OSTC's
jaferrando

New OSTC2c, no dives, "Unexpected reset from Divemode" when USB connected after not powering up

Post by jaferrando »

Hi,

I purchased a new OSTC 2C (#8695) (in fact I purchased 2 of them, but so far I had this issue with one of the units only). Since I have it, I only connected it by USB once, to modify the custom text using OSTC Planner. The firmware version it came with is 3.00.

I've had it for one month and at the moment I purchased it, the battery symbol showed a full charge, as well as it did after two weeks when I did the custom text modification.

Today I tried to power it on but it did not respond to pressing any button. Alarmed, I connected it to my PC through the USB, then the screen went white and after a few seconds the "Unexpected reset from Divemode" screen showed up, with the codes: 6-1-G. 160 43 66 216 161 105 161 36 7 4 134 120.

Then I pressed the left button and it returned to the surface screen. I noticed that the date and time information had reset to initial values, and the battery symbol showed a bit less that half battery (low for what I expected since int he first two weeks it had not lowered a bit). The custom text and color CFs that I changed survived the episode.

In 15 minutes the battery was at about 80%, then it took it 10 more minutes to be almost full (just a narrow line to full), but 40 minutes in total to be complete. The charging process initially seemed unexpectedly fast, and strangely slowing down as it progressed.

Now the unit seems to be back to normal, but of course I have my doubts about it being in perfect order.

Update: after less than four hours, being the unit in sleep mode, the battery is back to about 80%, which seems a fast discharge in my opinion.

Is there any test I could do to regain my peace of mind? Should I send it for a battery change?

Thanks in advance
jb2cool

Re: New OSTC2c, no dives, "Unexpected reset from Divemode" when USB connected after not powering up

Post by jb2cool »

I'd upgrade to the latest firmware myself as any issues you are experiencing may already be fixed with new firmware. If you are still having issues afterward then investigate further.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: New OSTC2c, no dives, "Unexpected reset from Divemode" when USB connected after not powering up

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

In older versions of the firmware the battery indicator was based on battery cell voltage. That is not very reliable with rechargeable lithium batteries. An almost empty battery still shows more then 3,8V when is warm and there is no or only a low load on it. This has been improved a lot with the new battery indicator (Updgrade to latest firmware). It shows remaining battery life based on the units ON-Time and will reset to a full battery sign when the battery has been recharged completely.

regards,
Matthias