OSTC Plus Safety stop

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Bjorn VdV

OSTC Plus Safety stop

Post by Bjorn VdV »

Hello,

i recently bought myself an OSTC Plus and did some dives with it.
i really love the computer, the only thing that i would like to adjust is the depth of the safety stop.
at the moment it starts from a depth of 5meters. my previous computer and the ones my buddies have all start from a depth of 6meters.
is there a way to adjust this?

grt
Bjorn
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC Plus Safety stop

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

Yes, with the "OSTC Tools" or "Subsurface", for example. Safety stop parameters are adjusable via a PC or App only.

Regards,
Matthias
Bjorn VdV

Post by Bjorn VdV »

Hello,

In which app is it possible to adjust this setting?
I can't connect my computer to a pc.
Says it is connected but can't download or adjust settings. Very strange.

Grtz
Bjorn
Bjorn VdV

Post by Bjorn VdV »

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.
Which app can I use?
I can't connect the ostc with my computer.
Pc says it's connected but can't change settings of download the logs

Thanks,
Bjorn
Kehrmaschine

Post by Kehrmaschine »

Hi guys

It goes with OSTC Conf for iOS for sure.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User »

Because HW don't follow the typical setting of other computers, I changed the setting too.
I did it with "HWOS Config" (WIN 10/64bit) and Asus BT400 or iOS with OSTConf 1.2 using an iPhone 6s.
I asked HW should think about to change the safety stop setting by default to be more in line with other competitors sport divers computers +/- 1m around 5m.
Arno

Post by Arno »

I disagree on defaulting to 5m just because others do so. For me usually 6m is the last stop ((minimum) deco or safety) and then I'll do a slow ascent to the surface.

Maybe there's a possibility to make this setting available from the menu on the computer itself, that is something that seems to make sense since there are so many users who all favor some other setting.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi,

current default is for the safety stop to kick in at 5 meters and then either time out or get suppressed if the diver passes through 3 meters. Thats in line with the usual "3 (mins) on 5 (meters)" rule.

The safety stop is only shown if within NDL (i.e. not when having finished a deco); it's meant to be a cue dedicated to "sports diving" to slow down on the final ascent. As "sports diving" is usually done on air or a light nitrox (32%), the safety stop should not be done too deep because offgassing is better as shallower the depth. So 5 meters evolved to be a good compromise between effective offgassing and not beginning to be tumbled by the waves too much.

Adjustment through the menu is feasable, the only point is that the settings menu is quite over-populated with parameters even as of now...

Final remark: best in terms of tissue-friendly diving would be to actually not "stop" at the safety stop depth, but instead use the 3 or whatever minutes of stop time to slowly and evenly drift upwards from 5 to 3 meters and further on to surface. That's also why while in deco the OSTC figures in a reduced ascent speed of just 1m/min for the final ascent from the last stop to surface into the TTS and gas needs prediction.

BR
Ralph
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

kan2sp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I asked HW should think about to change the safety
> stop setting by default to be more in line with
> other competitors sport divers computers +/- 1m
> around 5m.

Considering that a NDL dive with Safety stop is in most cases a recreational dive with Air or NX32 as the only gas a shallower stop like (3min on 3m) actually makes more sense in terms of degassing then staying a 6m.

But in the OSTC the safety stop can be configured individually (e.g. vie HWOS Config) and in greater detail then in any other dive computer on the market:

Show a SafetyStop: ON/OFF
SafetyStop Start Depth: 2-6m (Default 5) <- lower depth threshold
SafetyStop End Depth: 2-4m (Default 3m) <- upper depth threshold
SafetyStop Reset Depth: 8-15m (Default 10m) <- Depth you need to reach to (re-)enable the stop
SafetyStop length: 60-240s (Default 180s) <- Length of stop

Diving above "SafetyStop End Depth": Clear the stop
Diving between "SafetyStop Start Depth" and "SafetyStop Reset Depth": Pause the stop
Diving below "SafetyStop Reset Depth": Reset the stop and restart when passing "SafetyStop Start Depth" again

Regards,
Matthias
Bjorn VdV

Post by Bjorn VdV »

Hello,

Thanks for the many response.
I downloaded hwos config for Android.
The firmware update works through these app but I can't seem to be able
To configure the settings of my ostc. Anyone have a manual/walkthrough?
Normally i'm pretty good with this sort of things but at the moment i'm stuck.

Grts
Bjorn
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Bjoern,
at the moment it is not possible to change this settings with HWOSConfig for android, please use the Windows version.
I'm still working on it...

Regards
Rob
Home: http://www.angermayr.eu
email: ostctools@angermayr.eu
Home of OSTC Tools: http://ostctools.angermayr.eu
HWOSConfig for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.angermayr.hwosconfig