OSTC cR USB connection issue

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
opiffe

OSTC cR USB connection issue

Post by opiffe »

Hi all
For my first contribution to this forum, here is an issue with my beloved OSTC cR...
I used to connect my OSTC to my computer to upload the firmware of course, and to download the dive profiles with subsurface, without any issue, ever... Until this week!
My last dowload was on last week with no issue. I did not change anything since that time. My computer runs with WINDOWS 10, and I can't remember any update... OSTC cR runs with V2.98.
As usual, after my dives this week, I tried to connect the OSTC to the computer. USB charges the battery (it is now 100%), and as ususal, it does not connect directly when I switch the OSTC on the home page. I normally push the left button (menu) to get the com port 3 activ in order to (up)download.
But this time, pushing this button only leads me to the menu, just as if the OSTC was not connected!
If I connect the OSTC only when it is on the menu page, it goes on the USB mode, starts as if the com port 3 was opened, but shows immediately "port closed". Then the OSTC restarts and charges on the home page.
I hope my english explanation is clear enough! I oculd post pictures/video to be more comprehensible...
HELP!!!!!
Thanks
Thomas
Sputnik

Re: OSTC cR USB connection issue

Post by Sputnik »

I sounds to be an USB driver problem. That causes sometimes conflicts if you connect an other device on the same usb port or disconnect a usb device like an USB Stick. Try to delete the USB port (driver) in the Device Manager.

Youtube video

Microsoft_USB
opiffe

Post by opiffe »

Thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortunately, none of the method works...
I add a short video to show what happens when I plug/unplug at different moments:
OSCT cR connection issue

Thanks
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

There is no video:S

At first you should find out the location of the occured error (Computer/ Cable/ Subsurface/ OSTC).

At first try subsurface 4.7.7, as far as i know could be Subsurface the error source.

Then i would try another computer or a live system.

Afterwards try to organize another cable by your circle of divers to check it, or they should try to connect your OSTC with their own stuff? Just to ensure the location and getting closer.
opiffe

Post by opiffe »

I posted a link t o the video. Am I the only one to see it?

Anyway, it does not come from subsurface, as even OSTC Companion or OSTC Planner can't find the OSTC. I will try on another computer. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone else around me with the OSTC cR to try another cable (and I live on a small island ;))

Thanks Sputnik!
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

If you need a spare cable to test, just email us.

regards,
Matthias
opiffe

Post by opiffe »

Hi Matthias
Why not if you can provide one... How can we arrange that ?
I've tried on my wife's computer. It makes the same thing: the OSTC is charging, but does not goes to USB (Com port 3) connection, and when I plug the cable from the menu page the Com port closes immediately.
opiffe

Post by opiffe »

Hi all

I received a new USB-S8 cable today from Matthias (very fast shipment as usual!), and..... It works!(:P)

I really thought it was a software issue, and not that it could came from the cable...

Thanks for your replies and help, and thanks a lot to Matthias and H&W for your great custommer service, once again!

Thomas

PS: Matthias, is it possible to dismount the old cable to check what can be the problem with it, or is it glued for good?
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi Thomas,

You can unmount the cable. Yes, it's glued but not with a stong glue. I think you can push out the contact insert and solder a new cable to it.

Attached is the pinout for the USB lines.

regards,
Matthias