Considering getting OSTC 4

The big one
Walde

Considering getting OSTC 4

Post by Walde »

Hi,

I'm in market for a new dive computer and OSTC 4 is one strong candidate.
So far my diving is recreational but probably some time next year I'll start going towars technical stuff.
So for now all OSTC computers would be sufficient, but there are some features on OSTC 4 that I really like.
The big screen, wireless charging + user replacable battery, ambient light sensor, three button interface, ...
Don't need all OSTC 4 features but why not get one if I like it. All the other candidates that I consider also has features that I really don't need at the moment.

I'm from Finland and HW computers are not that familiar around here so I have few questions.
- When was OSTC 4 released for the first time and are there different hardware configurations/versions of it?
- Air Integration (AI) would be quite nice feature, are there plans for this in the future of OSTC 4?
- If there are plans for AI will there be layout/display view for sidemount diving? This would be Awesome.
- How does the computer operate after missed deco on a dive? I know that Suunto likes to shut down for 48h and that's not nice.
- Is there a list of OSTC computer dealers somewhere?

If some of the features are secrets for the future you can contact me privately :)
Thanks.
swissdiving

Re: Considering getting OSTC 4

Post by swissdiving »

Hi Walde,

According to this forum entry AI is not planned for the OSTC4: [url] https://forum.heinrichsweikamp.com/view ... ion#p23086 [/url]
And I don't really believe that AI is suitable for serious technical diving.

You can find the hardware types on the HW website. The variations are only in relation to ccr connections. And of course hardware may vary from one manufacturing run to the next.

I believe there is the possibility to configure the SM tanks individually, but without AI that makes little sense from my point of view.

I do believe the ostc4 becomes inoperative if deco has been missed and the computer has finished the dive. I would have thought thats pretty much standard for all dive computers.
At least with my ostc 2N that was case.

I've been using HW computers for many years and I love my ostc4. From my point of view the ostc4 is the most reliable of all the ostc dive computers. The display and battery life (thats why I choose HW and not Sherwater) is excellent. I mainly cave dive and both my ostc's get a real bashing and I never really had a problem. With the minor problems I did have the service from HW wasvexcellent

I did consider buying a Sherwater for my mCCR but I am glad I stuck to what I knew best, OSTC4.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Walde

Post by Walde »

Thank you for the reply!
swissdiving wrote: Thursday 4. November 2021, 17:57
According to this forum entry AI is not planned for the OSTC4: https://forum.heinrichsweikamp.com/vie ... on#p23086
I saw the last message and that got me thinking if there would be some hardware version with AI implemented but no software yet.

swissdiving wrote: Thursday 4. November 2021, 17:57 I believe there is the possibility to configure the SM tanks individually, but without AI that makes little sense from my point of view.
I saw the Shearwater''s sidemount display layout which came with some recent update and it looked like a good idea. But yeah, not necessary feature.

One candidate for me was some version of Ratio computer but I have to say that I don't like their layout at all. At the moment OSTC is the strongest candidate even though quite many people are trying to convince me to get Perdix.
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

I’d look at the OSTC Plus, that should meet your needs without being over complicated
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Is the ostc4 complicated?
In the end it comes down to price...
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
Walde

Post by Walde »

Alternative for OSTC 4 would be Perdix AI and the price is about the same, so the price is not that important decision factor.
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

[quote=swissdiving post_id=23465 time=1636139520 user_id=673]
Is the ostc4 complicated?
[/quote]
It’s probably more complicated than you need and as a recreational diver it may be complicated and confuse you. What about the OSTC4 appeals to you over something like the Plus?
Walde

Post by Walde »

I have to use compass quite a lot on my dives. I really like how compass is implemented on OSTC 4, it's probably because of the big display that it can be shown the way it is. I also think that three button interface is kind of optimal interface for this kind of devices.

The reason I haven't yet bought the OSTC 4 is that I don't personally know anyone who has one, or even anyone who has other HW products.
The company has been around for quite a while, but still there's very little reviews or knowledge about these computers. People who has these computers seem to like them a lot, still there's almost none reviews on youtube or any other site.
ClaudeDive

Post by ClaudeDive »

Hello,
It's true that in recreational diving you will certainly not use all the functions and parameters of the OSTC 4, but this will perhaps motivate you to move towards the world of technical dives,
Beyond pure need, indulging yourself with a beautiful product is an important factor of satisfaction,
The most common to OSTC are also clear menus and very well organized by settings category, the regular and accessible firmware updates with listening and taking into account the needs and the most relevant remarks of the users and a efficient and fast after-sales service
With in addition a Forum with lots of questions from users but always the answers and listening from the OSTC team ...
All this together, it is rarely, if ever, found in other brands of dive computers!
Anyway a very good choice between OSTC 4 and more ...
Cheers ;)
ClaudeDive ><)))))°> OSTC3 #2430 <°(((((><
Walde

Post by Walde »

Well, ordered OSTC4 today. I hope I get to dive with it before all the lakes are frozen in Finland.
So should I download some software that I can use to play with the computer when it arrives?