Bluetooth issues // Firmware update malfunction

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
Bubba71394

Bluetooth issues // Firmware update malfunction

Post by Bubba71394 »

Hi, after I had the last firmware upate done by sending the dive computer to HeinrichsWeihkamp, the update to the v3.17 on my Sport (new Modell) won't work again. Looks like some bluetooth issues, as the dive computer is also not able to connect to subsurface?

By the way, same for my "old" sport which I wanted to update to v10.72.

Will this ever stop from not working (yes, I still have to do it with an iOS device, and yes, I am still not a coding nerd looking for work arounds via my cousins windows PC).

Problably solving the issue .... I do not find any Reset Bluetooth function in the reset Menu on neither one of my sports.

Starting to get frustrated as not only do the firmware updates not work at all, but now also the downloads of the dives won't work either.
(Could be an issue with the iOS hardware I am using, could be an issue with the iOS version - that's why asking here, if the problem is known and related to the OSTC sport and the current firmwares v3.16 and v10.72. Thanks for any help!!!
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Bluetooth issues // Firmware update malfunction

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Any more details (e.g. error messages) would help here. There are no known issues with iOS and the current TECH or sport firmwares.

The iOS App for updates is calles OSTConf and it's really easy to use: https://www.facebook.com/heinrichsweika ... 9339989145

You send us both units for an update so we're 100% sure they are just fine. And since that was only a few weeks ago: The 3.17 has no changes compared to the 3.16 you have on your hardware.

Regards,
Matthias
Bubba71394

Post by Bubba71394 »

Hallo Matthias,
exactly the reason why I am frustrated (they just recently were at yours for update) and I know there is many other changes ongoing (iOS update on the Laptop, iOS updates on iPhone, subsurface not following up with M1 processor devices...).

I will recheck all possibilities (OSTCconf for phone is well known and used for configuration before, OSTC Companion App and subsurface) in order to note all error messages.

In the meantime, what does this mean the last sentence about the reset menu?:

History
[10.72]
MD5: a4202eb0df83dd2a593dbbcccabc62be
NEW: Support for current hardware version of OSTC 2, plus and Sport
- a Reset Bluetooth from the Reset Menu might be required for BLE/Bluetooth 4.0 to be enabled

Update:
At least the firmware update worked after restarting/shut of completely of the involved devices.
With the update, the question about the bt reset is also answered, obviously a new function with both the latest updates.

Thus, now focussing on the interface/communication with subsurface only.

Thanks
bantam_w

Post by bantam_w »

As it happens, I have similar issues with a brand new OSTC plus running hwOS Tech v3.16 which I got from Deep Ideas

Subsurface (on iOS and MacOS) and OSTC Conf on iOS can see the device when bluetooth is turned on, but none of them can connect to it. All throw up errors, such as;

Error
Unable to open LE:{377d0929-9cfc-4f47-bf3f-82a5ebd629a1} Heinrichs Weikamp (OSTC Plus)

Having looked through the forums, I've tried a Reboot Current Firmware which didn't fix anything.

EDIT;
Even more interestingly, I wondered if my Android phone would work (Samsung A20) and surprisingly it worked fine although the phone sees it as an OSTC2 not an OSTC Plus. So I updated the firmware to v3.17 and whilst it works a-ok with the Android phone, the iOS devices still just 'see' it and won't download dives.
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

I think I heard that in some of the newest computers there is a different Bluetooth chip (or something) and the changes to support this have not yet made it into Subsurface. There may be a new version that supports this in a week or so.

There is another separate issue with Subsurface and Bluetooth computers when using the latest macOS, there is not an ETA for fixing this yet as it’s not clear what Apple have changed to break this.
Nico

Post by Nico »

It appears that I have similiar problems with updating my OSTC sport #21175, which is extremely frustrating.

I always used subsurface and a bluetooth connector on a Windows 10 computer to update the OSTC firmware and it worked perfectly fine. But I got no chance updating it from 10.68 to 10.72 using subsurface. So I tried the apps. The connection with the app for iOS and Android could be etstablished, but the update is also not working, I tried:

- iPhone XR (iOS 15)
- iPhone SE (iOS 14)
- iPad Air (with iOS 13)
- iPad 2021 (iOS 15)
- Fairphone FP3 (Android 10)

OSTC companion does not work either.

The progress is always the same:
1. Bluetooth connection is established and service mode is active
2. Firmware (10.72 sport in DE) is being downloaded
3. Upload on OSTC shows 93% and witches from 93% to the popup on within the app that firmware update is completed and successful
4. OSTC reboots and shows Firmware 10.68 again

I'm not sure what causes that it's not working anymore like it used to. Could someone please help @heinrichsweikamp ?
Bubba71394

Post by Bubba71394 »

Problem back this past weekend.
What worked with the subsurface app on iPhone before did not work, too.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Have you tried the Android App HWOSConfig from the Google Playstore?
This should work.

Regards
Rob
Home: http://www.angermayr.eu
email: ostctools@angermayr.eu
Home of OSTC Tools: http://ostctools.angermayr.eu
HWOSConfig for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.angermayr.hwosconfig
heinrichsweikamp

Nico wrote: Thursday 17. February 2022, 15:43 4. OSTC reboots and shows Firmware 10.68 again
I'm not sure what causes that it's not working anymore like it used to. Could someone please help @heinrichsweikamp ?
Please email us at info@heinrichsweikamp.com - there is a work-around for update issues like this. This has nothing to do with the Apps or the Companion but with an unlucky combination of the firmware 10.68 and bootloader version inside your OSTC.

Regards,
Matthias
Bubba71394

Post by Bubba71394 »

Positive development ... the upgrade to 3.18 worked well via iPhone and OSTC cons app. :-)

Still issues with transferring dives from the computer via iPhone or iMAC into subsurface. Here I still assume issues in one of the numerous interfaces between OSTC, OSTC bt, M1 processor, iOS and subsurface itself. "Reset Bluetooth" in the reset menu is done.
Error-Code: Fehler beim Herunterladen der Tauchgangsdaten (subsurface window).

The weird thing: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't under - in my opinion - same conditions (beside the batterie voltage of the OSTC).
gr3yw0lf

Post by gr3yw0lf »

hm...

maybe you got too much bluetooth "noise" (to much of pairable bluetooth devices) in your area?
give it a try in an area with no other bluetooth devices...
life is better in fins

OSTC Plus #18168
heinrichsweikamp

Hi,

new MAC OS and the M1 processor still cause trouble when downloading from BLE dive computers with subsurface: https://subsurface.github.io/faq/#i-can ... --monterey

Regards,
Matthias