OSTC 2 Refuses to wake up

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
SimonBrown

OSTC 2 Refuses to wake up

Post by SimonBrown »

My OSTC 2 refuses to wake up. Here's the process as I understand it.

1. Place OSTC on charger.
Green rapid flash only.
2. Place strong magnet in centre of display.
Green rapid flash only.
3. OSTC remains dead.

Charger is connected to a USB output of a UPS. It's rated 2.4A 5v.

I would be very grateful for any and all advice - thanks in advance.
heinrichsweikamp

Re: OSTC 2 Refuses to wake up

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

Our FAQ says: OSTC 2 / 4: It may be that the dive computer is in deep sleep mode because the battery has run down (before charging). In this case, the battery is disconnected from the rest of the electronics to protect it from deep discharge. This is deliberately implemented to protect the battery. A magnetic reset only works when the dive computer is connected to the charger and is being charged. Then place a strong magnet in the centre of the display, this will bypass this protection circuit, the battery will be reconnected and charged. Important: The OSTC MUST be fully charged (regardless of the % displayed) in order for the battery charge indicator in the OSTC to be correct again (see instructions: "Charging the battery").

If this does not work, please contact us and we check this here at our place: info@heinrichsweikamp.com
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

Thank you for your reply.

I put the OSTC back on the charger this morning...and it woke up asking for what battery was in use.

So I am unsure what happened...or what changed?

The computer is now alive and reporting battery 100% - can you confirm the battery should be T4 please? The serial number is 15813.

Thanks in advance.
heinrichsweikamp

SimonBrown wrote: Monday 14. March 2022, 09:14 The computer is now alive and reporting battery 100% - can you confirm the battery should be T4 please? The serial number is 15813.
T4 is correct, but the 100% will be correct once the battery is fully charged and displayed in green, not yellow. See manual page 44.

regards,
Matthias
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

T4 is correct, but the 100% will be correct once the battery is fully charged and displayed in green, not yellow. See manual page 44.
Thanks Matthias.

The OSTC has now reverted to "dead" and refuses to wake up - any and all suggestions are again most welcome.

Its back on its charging pad. After blinking rapid green its now set to solid green.

Page 44 of the manual is talking about gradient factors...so not sure if this helps?
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

Quick update:

After 10 mins on the charging pad the OSTC has come to life.

Battery level is 0% with red background (this will explain dead status!).

But 0% of batter after 12 days may indicate there is a fault or issue with the battery?

Charging light is rapid blinking green.
heinrichsweikamp

"T4" is in front of the battery voltage? If it stays at 0% usually the battery type was not setup as required. You can change this setting from within the Reset menu -> Reset Battery.

Regards,
Matthias
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

The current display is:

T4: 3.4v
And since my last post has climbed to 1% charged.

So if T4 is correct...is there another issue here? Or should I reset it?
heinrichsweikamp

Make sure to use a proper USB Supply. 5V and at least 2A is recommended. Try a different one, sometimes these require communication with the USB device. Our chargers do not communicate and just try to draw the current they need.

T4 is good and leave the unit charging then. 3.4V is quite low but far from beeing deep-discharged. Battery is likely just fine.

Regards,
Matthias
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

USB source is coming from a uninterruptible power supply output rated 5V and 2.4A.

Unlikely to be using communication - just power - and should be sufficient spec?

I will leave it overnight and see what the battery percentage is in the morning. Currently the charging light has been blinking rapid green all the time the OSTC is mounted on it.
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

To see if there is any difference I have switched to another USB port.

The slow green flash indicating charging lasted about 20 seconds before reverting to rapid green flash.

I will leave it overnight and report back in the morning.
heinrichsweikamp

Is the battery-% shown in yellow? Charger should be blinking in green with 1Hz or constant green.

If the unit did not charge properly until tomorrow, please email us at info@heinrichsweikamp.com - maybe the charger is broken. Also: For the OSTC 2 (Mod. 2017 - the current iteration of the OSTC 2) you need the charger with the green PCB (Qi 1.2 standard), not the one with the brown PCB (Qi 1.1 only).

Regards,
Matthias
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

Morning Matthias - I will drop you an email.

But to answer questions:

Battery percentage has risen from 2% to 4% overnight and remains shown in red.
Charger is blinking green approx 1hz.
Colour of PCB is brown.
heinrichsweikamp

SimonBrown wrote: Friday 25. March 2022, 08:50 Colour of PCB is brown.
Wrong charger for this kind of OSTC.
SimonBrown

Post by SimonBrown »

I would like to express my thanks and gratitude for the customer service at Heinrichs Weikamp.

A replacement charger - the correct one for my model - arrived by post and its delivered a 100% charge and performed flawlessly.

This service was for a 5 year old OSTC that - somehow - ended up being originally sold with the incorrect charging pad.

Outstanding...and thank you!