Charge OSTC 2 from powerbank?

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
MBaadsgaard

Charge OSTC 2 from powerbank?

Post by MBaadsgaard »

Simple question... The wireless charger will it charge fine off a powerbank?
I'm deciding which computer to get and there is a strong argument for replaceable battery but that could depend on whether I can bring external power source as backup charge.
Thanks.
dadefay

Re: Charge OSTC 2 from powerbank?

Post by dadefay »

Hi,

Well, I'd say it depends on how your OSTC is empty, and also what type of power bank you have. I did a test with my OSTC 2 on a 20 000 mAh / 2.1 A power bank, it worked fine.

In the past I had two OSTC 3, then an OSTC Plus, the three of them with replaceable battery, I'm not sure this is the best choice regarding the risk of flood each time you replace the battery (the reason why I mainly used the OSTC Plus with a rechargeable battery and the charging pad). Today I have an OSTC 2 with a non-replaceable large battery, I'm more confident. But it's just my point of view.

Regards.
Didier A. Defay
OC trimix instructor / Trimix CCR diver
France

OSTC 2 #18835
- OSTC Plus #16077
-- OSTC 3+ #4806
--- OSTC 3 #3999
MBaadsgaard

Post by MBaadsgaard »

This prompted me to read a bit. AFAIK there are current limitations on the USB standards. So I guess your powerbank is USB 3 or higher maybe.
Good to know.
I feel the same way as you about this, but I'd hate it if I can't add power on-the-go in any way.
Thanks!
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Our charger draws up to 2A from USB. Any good powerbank can supply this.

regards,
Matthias
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

USB2, USB3 - that does not matter as the charger only connects to the 5V lines, not the data lines. Thus it does not do any power protocols but justs draws the current it wants to. So the more dumb the supply, the better.
MBaadsgaard

Post by MBaadsgaard »

The USB standards have current limits so if it's dumber than should be allowed then it'll let you pull 2A off.

But I realise its a moot point that hasn't been relevant for a good decade. My bad. Thanks for the input though. It's good to know for sure.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

The USB standard has long since ceased to be a standard as far as the power supply of all kinds of devices is concerned. With USB-C PD, there still seems to be a standard. But devices with USB-A plugs have been doing what they want for many years and accordingly you can now simply draw 1-2A from any USB-A sockets without having to negotiate this (as originally intended) via a protocol. I've seen USB power-supplys with only 2 contacts (+ and -) in the bulkhead already. Saves $0.001 in the production...

Greetings,
Matthias