Missing: Altimeter

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
scubatinoo

Missing: Altimeter

Post by scubatinoo »

Hi Folks @ HW

Coming from OSTC 2N (FW 3.15) i'm missing the altimeter function in my OSTC 2 (FW hwOStech 3.18)... I would appreciate it if the function will be added in one of the next firmware updates. Thanks for your efforts! :)
Ralph

Re: Missing: Altimeter

Post by Ralph »

Hi, i actually thought about implementing this, but after a look at wikipedia https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometri ... henformel (sorry, german version) it was clear that such an undertaking would consume lots of code space and/or deliver quite unpreceise result due to the various parameters of temperature, weather & humidity that can not be measured by the OSTC nor at its position at all. If you need a height information with +/- 10 m accuracy, you are probably way better using the GPS on your smartphone...
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

The altimeter feature in the old 2N/2C is pretty much useless. Beeing an active open-source project >10 years ago this feature was added at some point and was left in there.

regards,
Matthias
scubatinoo

Post by scubatinoo »

Hmpf... It worked quite well for me through the last 10 years. Maybe because i'm used to watches with barometric altitude measurement, like Suunto, Garmin & Co. Of course i had to adjust the altitude from time to time, but then it was a good indicator of weather changes when diving in mountain areas like Verzasca River and others...

And let me say that the feature in the OSTC 2N was more accurate than my garmin watch which i bought at the same time :D Meanwhile they are doing better too ;) So for me, the feature isn't pretty much useless as you call it. But anyway thanks for having a look on this topic!