OSTC 4 Initial impression

The big one
TDR

OSTC 4 Initial impression

Post by TDR »

I’ve said it before. But when I bought my ostc mk2 back in 2008 it was a complete game changer. There was nothing like it in the market. A colour screen?? Suunto were hailing there d5 with dot matrix display! It was like the iPhone blowing Nokia out of the water.

I did over 500 dives with it. No trimix. Mainly Nitrox sport diving up to 50m. It never let me down until the end. The buttons became inoperable and the display starting to colour.

Having looked at the Perdix and speaking to Matthias I investigated all the other computers out there. I stumbled on the fact the ostc 4 had a big massive display.

Matthias kindly offered a small discount on it which I decided to take.

The ostc 4 is again a huge step forward. Putting it next to a Perdix there is no comparison. It makes the Perdix look archaic. The display is unreal. It is metal which feels great. It is quite big but has a low profile which makes it feel nicer than the ostc 2. The big display is great.

I think there are a few issues that are not related to the computer itself. I read the manual (for a change) and the issues are related to this.

Initially I had terrible problems trying to get the charger in the right place. Mainly because the manual incorrectly stated the light must be permanently green. It doesn’t. Charging is not an issue. I now simply put the computer on the charger the light flashes green and goes to red when charged. It is not an issue. The safety stop froze. But it did so because I dropped below the limit.

I honestly think for the money this is the best computer out there. It does not have AI. But I had that on my old suunto eon in 94. I never really used it.

I think another issue, here in the UK. Is the lack of information about it. There is a dodgy video on YouTube. I didn’t know it existed. But since Brexit maybe Matthias doesn’t see a future in the UK.

Matthias always answers emails and the forum works. If you are going for a Perdix or Perdix 2 give it a look. It’s lovely.
jb2cool

Re: OSTC 4 Initial impression

Post by jb2cool »

What made you choose the 4 over the 2 or the Plus?
TDR

Post by TDR »

I just loved that big display. It’s incredibly clear to.
It’s worth the extra cash. It just feels a quality computer. I love that metal finish.
I don’t buy computers very often. So it’s a big purchase for me. So it’s worth going the little bit extra.
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve never seen a 4 in the flesh but I think it includes trimix by default whereas this is an optional extra on the other computers so not actually as much extra as it first appears.