Cannot connect 2C and 2N to windows 11 laptop

Legacy OSTC's
Pob06

Cannot connect 2C and 2N to windows 11 laptop

Post by Pob06 »

Hi can anyone advise please.

I've an Asus WIndows 11 Laptop and decided I want to use my OSTC 2C and 2N better i.e. some customisation and download the divelogs.

I've downloaded OSTC Companion 3.2.1 and have installed this but I get the error below :-( (I have also tried Version 3.0)

I open the app connect my OSTC to the laptop, and select the OSTC2 mk2,2N,2C option from the drop down then connect I get the following error ;

OSTC2c selected.
Connecting...
Port is not defined.
Cannot connect : Port is not defined.
Error: Cannot connect : Port is not defined.

Do Ineed to download a different version of the Companion?, if so which one?.

Bearing in mind I'm not the best with laptops, does anyone have any ideas of what I need to do to get the laptop and OSTC talking to each other please?.

OSTC 2C is on V3.11
OSTC2N is on V3.15

When connected the battery charging light flashes.

Thanks
Laurence
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Cannot connect 2C and 2N to windows 11 laptop

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi,

See our FAQ, please: https://heinrichsweikamp.com/index.php/service/faq
OSTC Comanion says "Port not defined"
The communication port assigned by the operating system must be set. To do this, click on the gearwheel symbol next to the selection menu. Further settings can also be made there (e.g. the program language). You can also type the port into the field manually. Windows Bluetooth settings, sub-item "Additional Bluetooth options", tab "COM ports" -> The port of the paired OSTC is listed there (e.g. COM7). Under MAC OS the ports are named "tty.OSTC12345-SPP" where 12345 is the serial number of your OSTC.
Hope this helps,
Matthias
heinrichsweikamp

Pob06 wrote: Monday 9. January 2023, 22:06 I've an Asus WIndows 11 Laptop and decided I want to use my OSTC 2C and 2N better i.e. some customisation and download the divelogs.
I strongly recommend the Software Diving Log ( https://www.divinglog.com/english/home/index.php )or Subsurface ( https://subsurface-divelog.org/ ) for this task. The OSTC Companion only allows very little customisation in the 2N or 2C.

regards,
Matthias
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

Hello

I have the same issue. My PC is also a Windows Asus PC.
I have two OSTC 2N computer and I use to love the devices. I have sent them to be service by HW last year and they are now working just fine.
I have the OSTC 2N which is an old model.

On my previous PC and on Windows 7, I was able to connect it with USB and then export the data (dive log) or import/update the firmware.
Since I am now on Windows 10, I can not figure a way to get the computer USB ports to be display. I can't have the right drivers nor how to install the drivers.
So if there is someone out there that have manage to get these babies to work as intended on W10, I would be super happy to have the process/guidance.
My PC is up for a W11 update that I am delaying as I am afraid that something difficult with W10 will become impossible with W11.
Hopefully this post will be the lighthouse in my disarray.

Matthias recommend me to use Subsurface but the bigger issue is that I can install the drivers in a way that the OSTC is recognized. Any support would be welcome.
And the link on the FAQ are not clear to me besides being an IT professional. So if someone have a nice tutorial with the links to the right drivers I am all in for it.

Thanks
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

I always thought it was these drivers that were needed to be installed to give you the relevant com port when the computer is plugged in, make sure you are using a good cable too, some cables are only power cables whereas some other cables are data and power.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

jb2cool wrote: Sunday 22. October 2023, 17:52 I always thought it was these drivers that were needed to be installed to give you the relevant com port when the computer is plugged in, make sure you are using a good cable too, some cables are only power cables whereas some other cables are data and power.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
Hello @jb2cool
First of all, I offer my deepest apologies for the belated answer and acknowledgement of your kind answer.
It is not an excuse, I guess as many, I go out diving and then once back to reality I guess stuck in the rat race until I can escape again.

Thanks for pointing out to the right driver page. I have been able to download and install them. As per the OSTC when connected to the PC it charges yet is not detected by the system hence no prompt to get into the Device Manager.
I will try with another cable once I get back home in 1.5 weeks.
I will keep you posted.

Again thank you for your support.
jb2cool

Post by jb2cool »

I’ve had some issues in the past where some USB cables work for data AND charging but some other USB cables only seem to work for charging. Could be as simple as trying a different cable. Use one that you know has transmitted data before like a camera or Kindle cable.
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

Will do and keep you posted.
I wish there was a way to upgrade 2N with bluetooth (bought mine 10 years ago, it works well and I love it. Only needed one servicing done 2 years ago to replace battery)
I hate to buy something just because there is a new toy in town (sustainability and protect our oceans start with consumption habits) unfortunately this goes against company survival :cry:
heinrichsweikamp

The old Mk.2, 2N and 2C OSTC used USB-UART Chips from FTDI (And yes, we used genuine ones from reliable suppliers ;-) - These are still 100% supported from Windows 11 and FTDI provides updates for these regularly https://ftdichip.com/drivers/

Usually, Windows 11 will download these automatically when required but sometimes it helps to download their drivers and install them manually.

Regards,
Matthias
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

Thanks Matthias,

Still can get them (both) to connect. I do not know whether is it a cable issue or an issue with my OSTC 2N
Satyre

Post by Satyre »

jb2cool wrote: Saturday 10. February 2024, 12:10 I’ve had some issues in the past where some USB cables work for data AND charging but some other USB cables only seem to work for charging. Could be as simple as trying a different cable. Use one that you know has transmitted data before like a camera or Kindle cable.
It WORKS !!!

Indeed it was a cable issue. Found one that was compatible and it works.
Thanks a lot.