Wishlist for JDiveLog

Legacy OSTC's
danou

Wishlist for JDiveLog

Post by danou »

Hi everybody,

Thanks to some of you, I got some logs from JDiveLog with the OSTC Mk2; I'll be able to use my own OSTC only late March ;-(.

Those who are interested can download a beta version of my software to preview dive-logs (extracted with JDiveLog and printed with LaTeX) from here.

I have noticed some issues with JDiveLog:

1) No information is given in the logs about . This looks like a flaw to me as this field is _required_ in the UDCF format and the information is definitely known by the computer in order to compute the deco.

2) There is nothing in the logs about the decomode (OC or CC with/without GF),
I really miss this information. For instance I would like to display SAC in OC
mode and oxygen consumption in litre/min in CC mode.

3) When diving in CC mode no information is given about setpoints. I would expect the tags to hold the setpoint changes (like the gas changes in OC mode).

Am I missing something?

On the other hand, I could avoid going through JDiveLog and try to extract
information directly from the OSTC, but I would need informations about the
internal format used in the OSTC to store dive-logs. Is this kind of
information available?

Thanks and best wishes,
Solodiver

Re: Wishlist for JDiveLog

Post by Solodiver »

Sure. as long as the OSTC (and jdivelog as well) is Open Source completely there should be no problem in doing your own stuff, good luck!

Regarding the subject of the topic (and spoken with you already):
I miss the correct divenumber set in the OSTC to be imported to jdivlog or a function to be able to set my own (custom) divenumbers in jdivelog afterwards.
~~~
MK2 1076

my wish list: http://heinrichsweikamp.net/forum/read.php?2,4649
Regthing

Post by Regthing »

[quote=Solodiver]
I miss the correct divenumber set in the OSTC to be imported to jdivlog or a function to be able to set my own (custom) divenumbers in jdivelog afterwards.
[/quote]

+1
Scott
danou

Post by danou »

@matthias

Matthias, can you confirm that

(OC/CC, GF or not)
values are recorded in the OSTC's internal logs?

In CC mode, are the setpoints changes recorded in the tags?

If the format of OSTC's internal logs is described somewhere, please let me know.

Thanks,

Daniel.
daniel.flipo@free.fr
stocky_de

Post by stocky_de »

I noticed that you can not change a once entered buddy name.
On a holiday you enter only your buddies first name and later you
find out his surname.
To get his full name into the log you have to erase the old name and create a complete new one.
A editing of the name at a later stage without reediting the single log entries would be great!
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

Hi,

May I suggest that rather than building this as a separate project that you get in contact with Pascal and incorporate this into JDiveLog. It's an open source project so rather than forking it it it may be best to enhance JDiveLog. I'm sure Pascal will welcome a new programmer.

Also, for JDiveLog to work a number of software components need to work starting with the OSTC download protocol, the UDDF library, Java and then JDiveLog itself.

To me, it seems to me that having a further piece of software will make harder for your software to work properly as you only require one of the pieces in the middle to change for your software to stop working. If you think about it you don't really control any of them.

I have posted this before, and it may be best to repeat it this time.

The best place to express and record any concerns/wishes about JDiveLog (and hopefully get them implemented at some point in time) is by posting in the JDiveLog forum.

The address is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdivelog/forums

If you find a bug this is where you need to report it:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=731465

Best regards,

D
OSTC MK2 1394
danou

Post by danou »

dmainou wrote:
May I suggest that rather than building this as a separate project that you get in contact with Pascal and incorporate this into JDiveLog. It's an open source project so rather than forking it it it may be best to enhance JDiveLog. I'm sure Pascal will welcome a new programmer.

I already tried to contact Pascal (25/02/2011) telling him about my project but I got no answer up to now... Anyway I guess very few people (if any) are interested in going through LaTeX to print their dive data.

--
Daniel (ostc mk2 1610).
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

danou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dmainou wrote:
> May I suggest that rather than building this as a
> separate project that you get in contact with
> Pascal and incorporate this into JDiveLog. It's an
> open source project so rather than forking it it
> it may be best to enhance JDiveLog. I'm sure
> Pascal will welcome a new programmer.
>
> I already tried to contact Pascal (25/02/2011)
> telling him about my project but I got no answer
> up to now... Anyway I guess very few people (if
> any) are interested in going through LaTeX to
> print their dive data.
>
> --
> Daniel (ostc mk2 1610).

Hi Daniel,

JDiveLog is an open source project. Just download the source code, add to it and then submit your new code. If accepted, fine and if not you can always fork to "Daniels open source dive log".

That is how we ended up with all the various flavours of Linux.

Even in the worst case scenario you are better off than going down the path you are going right now which is to become a hostage of what happens in JDiveLog.

If you wish to use the download code directly and skip JDiveLog then research the UDCF library (another Open source project) which is the library used by JDiveLog, Mac Dive log and Diving log to download data from the OSTC and several other computers.

There is a link to that project within the JDiveLog website but I honestly believe that you will be better off by enhancing JDiveLog than by starting from scratch or depending on JDiveLog for your software to work.

D
OSTC MK2 1394
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

Actually, if you take a look at the link below you'll see that there are a number of programmers providing input to JDiveLog not just Pascal.

Therefore, I'm more than sure that they will appreciate a further helping hand.

D
OSTC MK2 1394
divinglog

Post by divinglog »

[quote=dmainou]If you wish to use the download code directly and skip JDiveLog then research the UDCF library (another Open source project) which is the library used by JDiveLog, Mac Dive log and Diving log to download data from the OSTC and several other computers.[/quote]

You probably mean the libdivecomputer project. I'm using it for downloading from other dive computers, but the OSTC download is directly implemented into Diving Log. But you are of course right, the libdc can be used to download from the OSTC and could be easily implemented in any application.
Diving Log 6.0 - https://www.divinglog.de/
dmainou

Post by dmainou »

Hi Sven,

Yes, you've explained beyer than me. Sadly, I don't code just have a very broad idea of how the puzzle comes together.

To be honest, I would like to have some coding skills to help one of the various projects.

D
OSTC MK2 1394