Some suggestions

Legacy OSTC's
yvan

Some suggestions

Post by yvan »

Hallo Matthias

I've been trying the OSTC during the last three weeks (holidays :-) ) in CCR and OC dives and have some improvements to report.
First of all, I did most of my with someone using a VR3 CCR Trimix and similar gases. I used a manual GF and Pyle deep stop deco method have nothing irrelevant of crazy to report concerning the deco times, max GF was for me 70 % (felt very good after the dives :-) ).
One of my points was the gas setup which is quite laborious, especially when you want to set up a 10/50 and you press one time to much ... or you gas analyse is slithly different from your gas planned so a +- option as for some CF should be nice, a was thinking about a 1/10 option also but I've just read the last posts and saw you got a solution for that (holding the button pressed).
Another point is for the bailout. I tried it several times as test and also during a real one. Going over to bail out works good, choosing the appropriate gas and switching gas also. But when you want to go back to CCR (for testing purpose it is quite obvious) mode instead of getting back to the first gas (for me 10/50) it went back to air and no way to get it back to 10/50 PpO2 1.2, it still displayed bail in that case. You could wonder why this could be interesting, therefore the following incident report:
I was diving since 20 min on 45 m mean when my BOV started to make a lot of bells, not seeing anything I switched over to bail out which did not solve to problem and started going up immediatly towards half depth where I could take my second bail out gas. Meanwhile a took my regular second stage on my first bail. Once arrived a half depth i switched over to my second deco gas, turned down my first bail out gas which stopped the jaccusi and only then switched the OSTC. It's not your first priority when you switching to bail out, I can assure you ... There I could look more calm to what was happening and solved the problem (BOV's second stage connection did loosen a bit). Once I was sure there was no problem with the rebreather I swicthed over again to CCR and wanted to do the same for the OSTC which didn't work, so I finished my dive on appropriate self-made tables with the OSTC calculating the end of dive on air.
Another point is that my buddies followed me and were ready to pass me over their gases in case of. The point is also that in that case I should have had to choose the nearest gas to their gases in my five disponible gases for calculating the end of the dive, nothing arduous but an option to setup one new gas during the dive could be a possibility.
My last point after this long post. I saw my friend struggling and pressing buttons with his VR3 for setting up or during dives and I'm quite happy I had the very intuitive and easy to use OSTC. He tried it and did even not have to read the manual to get started and I think he will order soon ;-).

Yvan
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Some suggestions

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello Yvan,

Thanks for your detailed report, the use of the Gas Setup will be improved in the next version. An intuitive user interface is one of our highest priorities.

When the OSTC is in const. ppO2 mode you can select the five bailouts via the "Bailout" menu and return to const. ppO2 mode by selecting a Setpoint (SP1-SP3) from the "Gaslist" menu. I've just tested this with the simulator again and it worked fine. Output "Bail" is replaced with the Setpoint and the Diluent (Gas #1) is used again correctly. Maybe you can describe the procedure you did again so I can reproduce it.

In ZH-L16 (Open Circuit) mode, a sixth gas can be configured during the dive. Maybe we should add this menu option to the const. ppO2 mode, too?

Regards,
Matthias
yvan

Post by yvan »

Hello Matthias,

I understand, I think. My diluent 10/50 was fixed as second gas in the setup with the option first gas checked. The first gas in the setup is 21/0 with the option first gas gas unchecked. This is probably the mistake, I'll try to put my 10/50 as first gas in the setup for next time and it will probably work so but still, this could be fixed, no ?

Seen my last experience, this additional sixth gas in the const. ppO2 mode should be good, who can the most can the less

Gr.

Yvan
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello Yvan,

You're right. When you have configured a different Gas then the Gas#1 as "First Gas"/Diluent and return from Bailout to CCR Mode the wrong diluent was chosen. This bug has been fixed.

Regards,
Matthias
corona_citron

Post by corona_citron »

To summarize :
1. The first gas is the diluent
2. you have the choose between 3 setpoints with the same diluent
3. you have no possibility to have more than one diluent ????
4. the diluent gas can be used as bailout???

Is that correct ?
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Hallo,

I am not so fond of of the strap used to attach the computer. Could you proposed something like the deepseasuply made for vytec etc... ?
Or does somebody replace the delivered one with bungee ?

Thanks,

Antoine
corona_citron

Post by corona_citron »

not yet replaced but it's very easy.
It's like an Aladin