Interested in the VPM B B/E algorithm?

Legacy OSTC's
andersnasman

Interested in the VPM B B/E algorithm?

Post by andersnasman »

I'm interested in trying to squeeze the VPM-B / B/E algorithm into the OSTC. I say sqeeze, because the VPM algrithm seems to be a lot more processor and floating point intensive.

How many are interested in this, and what skills do You have that could help producing an open source VPM alternative? I myself have only worked with the Motorola series of chips and that was 15 years ago...

If the processing resources in the OSTC will not be able to cope with the VPM an alternative would ofcause be to build a PIC32 daughterboard to handle the decompression processing? Another alternative for the PIC32 would be to have a ARM32 (same as the X1)processor on a daughterboard, feeding the decodata to the main cpu.
Jostein

Re: Interested in the VPM B B/E algorithm?

Post by Jostein »

I have the OSTC with Firmware V1.20 (ZHL-16 OC) and a VR3 with V3.03 (VPM-BE). I still do not understand the benefits of the Vr3's VPM, decotimes are the same (+-2min total) with the OSTC's ZHL-16. OSTC gives a lot more desat.-time but underwater it's nearly the same.

J. Stein
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

I will comment on the daughterboard suggestion: While this may be challenging (because of room limitations) you could also think about replacing the entire mainboard. We sell empty (with or without installed pressure sensor) housings, as well. And we can provide all necessary dimensions for that.

Regards,
Matthias
andersnasman

Post by andersnasman »

Heinrich, yes, that could be a way forward (same computer with a little stronger motherboard). Have You had thoughts about replacing the processor with a 32bit?

About the VR3 VPM: This is a very modified VPM B/E with about +4 in safety factor, so it vannot be directly compared.