Hardware, Open Source, Logging Frequency and Resolution

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
aquarat

Hardware, Open Source, Logging Frequency and Resolution

Post by aquarat »

Hi

I'm considering buying an OSTC Sport. I like open source software and I mostly use Linux; being able to read logs on my Linux machines is important to me. I like to know how things work and it is nice to be able to modify them if necessary.

I've been trying to find the following information, but as yet haven't been able to locate it :

What hardware is present inside the OSTC Sport ? The MCU is a PIC18F87K22, but what about the compass, temperature sensor, pressure sensor and Flash ?
What size is the flash storage and how much of it is used for logging ?
It appears that the Sport is update-able with firmware produced from the open-source code on Bitbucket, but some users online say that this isn't the case. I just want to confirm that the Sport runs open-source code and can be updated with user-developed firmware, specifically firmware compiled from code on the bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/hwos_code repository ?

Apologies for my n00b questions, I just want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

Thank you :)
OSTC 3 # 4897
OSTC Sport #12887
OSTC Sport #13246
heinrichsweikamp

Re: Hardware, Open Source, Logging Frequency and Resolution

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

OSTC Sport is not open source and does not allow installation of custom builds.

We're no longer publishing the schematic due to different reasons, sorry. Over the product lifetime we always have to apply some changes to the hardware (Discontinued components, for example). We recently changed the flash for example, but that is nothing the end user notices.

Logbook memory is currently 2MB with 8MB of flash available. Some parts from the flash are used for other functions like the firmware updater.

Hope this helps,
Matthias
aquarat

Post by aquarat »

Hi

That is disappointing, but I will probably buy the OSTC Sport anyway.

Thank you for the response :) .
OSTC 3 # 4897
OSTC Sport #12887
OSTC Sport #13246
cyberdiamond

Post by cyberdiamond »

The OSTC3 is what you want/need if you want the sport with the ability to install custom firmware from bitbucket repository.
OSTC3 #756 / #4491