VPM on OSTC Plus

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
EanX

VPM on OSTC Plus

Post by EanX »

Any plan to release VPM-B algorithm for OSTC Plus? Or there is a hardware limitation (cpu capability) that make this not feasible and the only way to dive with VPM is to buy OSTC 4?
Thanks.
tanomogi

Re: VPM on OSTC Plus

Post by tanomogi »

It seems not available for its(PIC) CPU power
Vygantas

Post by Vygantas »

I am also interesting in VPM on other models except OSTC 4. Is there any ideas to have it ? or CPU is still a limiting factor ?

Thanks.
EanX

Post by EanX »

OSTC Plus is based on a Microchip PIC18F87K22.
I cannot find info on OSTC 4 architecture.
Can someone help?
As far I know, algorithm ZHL-16C with GF 20/80 delivers ascent profiles very similar to that of VPM but I would like to have an option to choose what algorithm to install on OSTC Plus.
This means not to have two algorithms running simultaneously as on OSTC 4 but the chance to choose that one you prefer.
Thanks.
glance

Post by glance »

ZHL-16C with GF 20/80 is similar to VPM-B for some depth / time / gases, but not for all.

A tip is to use Subsurface to calculate your VPM-B profile, and it will tell you with which GF you can approximate that profile.

Look at the bottom part of the "Dive plan details", you will see something like: "Deco model: VPM-B at +2 conservatism, effective GF=17/92"

Robert has written a nice post about it: http://atdotde.de/theoreticaldiver/?p=58

//Anton - The more I learn about VPM, the less sense it makes
EanX

Post by EanX »

Thanks glance for your reply.
Interesting site and post. I didn't know Subsurface.
glance

Post by glance »

Subsurface is a awesome tool written by beautiful and brilliant people. Its also awesome price performance ratio.

(for you who didn't figure it out by your self, i'm one of the developers of Subsurface =)

On the topic of VPM on a pic. I barely read pic assembly, but Subsurface deco.c contains both a VPM and an Bühlmann implementation, so if anyone can figure out how to get that compiled with MPLAB X for a PIC18F87K22, its doable.

My guess its that that if you even get it to build, its going to be unusable. VPM is a odd algorithm, so you can't just calculate a accent, you basically guess a assent and check if VPM allows it. Its also quite compute intensive in other parts.

It wouldn't be impossible to profile the subsurface VPM implementation to figure out how many flops / ops it takes to compute a profile, and from that one might be able to guestimate the feasibility of doing those calculations on a PIC18F87K22.

//Anton
aquarat

Post by aquarat »

I also use Subsurface, it's amazing software, thank you to the developers :) .
OSTC 3 # 4897
OSTC Sport #12887
OSTC Sport #13246
Arno

Post by Arno »

Hi,

Just installed subsurface (version 4.6.4) and it says in Dive plan details:

Deco model: VPM-B at +2 conservatism (but not an effective GF setting). I'm not sure if there's a setting to change for the effective GF to also appear?
glance

Post by glance »

You need to plan a dive with more than just a litte deco for the information to appear.

Ex. 13min@40m/air with VPM +3 gives you to little deco to be able to fit a Bühlmann to it, while 14min@40m/air with VPM +3 gives you a effective GF=61/61.

//Anton
Arno

Post by Arno »

Thanks, found it out now...