OSTConf sensor offsets

OSTC's running hwOS sport or tech
VK

OSTConf sensor offsets

Post by VK »

Hello,

how should the sensor offsets in OSTConf affect temperature and pressure readings in the OSTC? What should the effect be if I set those to the minimum (how much colder, how much less deep)? I'm assuming -(minus) in the pressure setting decreases the depth reading.

I've now set both to the minimum end (pressure -20,00 and temperature -2,00) in order to calibrate my OSTC's sensors that are off by a large margin. The temperature seems now to be close to accurate, but the depth reading seems to be still off (at 40 m the OSTC shows about 1 m too deep).

Cheers
VK
Ralph

Re: OSTConf sensor offsets

Post by Ralph »

Hi,

usually the OSTC sensors are not off by so far. Have you set the same salinity settings on the OSTC and your reference? Are you sure your reference is ok? The temperature reading is not the direct water temperature, but the temperature of the depth sensor (actually temp and depth come out of the same sensor). Due to the thermal mass of the OSTC, changes in water temp come through with some delay.
VK

Post by VK »

Hi,

the salinity setting is 0% in both. I will be doing comparisons with other references in the coming 4 days, but according to my experience, my usual reference is accurate.

I've observed the temperature difference between the OSTC and my reference during hour-long dives. As an additional reference I've earlier used ice water while ice diving.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

OK. If you like, you can post us the "sensor" values shown in the information menu (2nd page) so we can see how much correction is required by your sensor and check if this is in the normal range or not.
VK

Post by VK »

It says sensor 0A22-7088, offset -99 hPa. I compared to two other computers and the OSTC still gives a 0,5-1 m deeper reading at 40 meters.

What else happened was that during a dive yesterday the OSTC’s screen went black all of a sudden and it then told me that it was updating the TR module. After a while it recovered. Not funny at all.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I don't know how you managed to set -99 hPa correction, anyhow the code will ignore everything outside +/- 20 hPa. So your depth is actually running without correction in the moment.

TR module updating is only done on reboot, along with normal firmware updating. Did it do that during the dive?? Is the battery in good condition? I am asking because a reboot during the dive normaly doen't happen exept if the battery is down.

Anyhow, you should give your OSTC a 'Reset Settings' from the 'Reset Menu', followed by a 'Reboot', to come back into a defined operating mode, and then reload the latest firmware to verify the TR module and the main Firmware is properly loaded...
VK

Post by VK »

I have only used OSTConf to set the correction, nothing else. After a bit of testing I found out that OSTConf works ok with adding hPa, ie. setting +5 turns out as a +5 hPa, +20 turns out as a +20 hPa correction on the OSTC. However, any minus setting (-1, -5, -10, -20) on OSTConf turns out as a -99 hPa correction on the OSTC. So there seems to be a bug in the OSTConf.

To the second question, yes, the OSTC did that during a dive, out of the blue. I think I may have been switching the view with the right piezo button as the screen all of a sudden went black and a text appeared telling me that it was updating the TR module.

The updating text has appeared a couple of times before on the surface, but never during a dive before this time. The OSTC also every now and then in the surface mode displays 5 non-intelligible transmitters with “pressure readings” that make no sense. But when I change the view one full round back to the transmitter view, they are all gone. And sometimes they appear again. I’ve sent a video of this to Matthias some time back.

I’m on a diving trip at the moment so I don’t dare reset the OSTC before I finish all the dives. But I’ll do it tomorrow.
VK

Post by VK »

And the battery is in good condition, currently displaying 68 % after 7 dives.
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hello,

These sensors usually don't have much variation. What's the displayed surface pressure and does this correlate with a known-good reading at your place?

What's the reference meter for your depths readings? Maybe they use a different salinity setting?

regards,
Matthias
VK

Post by VK »

Well, turns out I had been misinformed about the salinity setting of my references. My references were 3 different Suunto computers (of dive buddies) and after some more digging I found out that Suunto uses EN 13319 salinity, not fresh as default. I guess that would then explain the difference as I had the OSTC on fresh (the salinity is close to fresh where I dive). The displayed surface pressure is currently 1023 Mbar, exactly the same as a reference.

I’ll probably go diving with another reference next week and I know for certain that it is set on fresh so I can compare once more to be sure.

However, due to my attempt to compensate for the assumed depth difference (even if it may prove to be misguided), I think I have found a bug in OSTConf (as explained in my previous message).

I’ll start a new thread about the TR Module update incident.