Seeking advise about display glass

Legacy OSTC's
tramjoe

Seeking advise about display glass

Post by tramjoe »

Hello everyone,

I recently got a used OSTC MkII. The seller says that it never received shocks or had any sort of problem to report with the unit. However, I just noticed that the top-left corner of the display glass is not flush with the screen gasket (see picture). You can see an air space there, that vanishes when pressing on the screen corner. There still seems to be enough contact surface between the gasket and glass, plus at depth the pressure would force the glass down, but I am still a bit worried.

Has anyone ever had that problem before ?
Is there anything I could do to fix this ?
Should I be worried that the situation degrades ?

Regards,
--
Jerome
sailor

Re: Seeking advise about display glass

Post by sailor »

Hello,

my MK2 has the same issue and it is much bigger.
Mine is on the side from top to bottom.
I got the information that the glass can not be replaced so i believe this can not be fixed.
At the moment i just continue to use the computer and i'm not to worried as the whole computer has no airspace and is completly sealed, beside the battery-compartment.
I'm still interested in a statement from HW regarding this.
I will add a pic later in the evening.

Reiner
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing that experience.

So it seems I am not an isolated case, surely HW should jump in and tell us what to do / what to expect.

I am a little bewildered by this as if it gets confirmed that the problem is not an isolated one, it means a conception defect in the MkII. I can understand that out of warranty period units are not covered, but not being able to fix it at all in exchange for money (e.g. having the glass resealed / replaced) is a hard blow :-(

Best,
--
Jerome
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Get in touch with HW directly. Maybe they are prepared to cut you a deal if you buy the 2N or frog.

As it always is with Second Hand equipment. Buyer beware.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892
--> OSTC4 ¦ 257 / 392 / 424 / 647/1324 Fischer

RTFM
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

> As it always is with Second Hand equipment. Buyer
> beware.

In that specific case, the problem has nothing to do with buying second hand... It would be the same if bought brand new a couple of years ago.

The problem here is that the computer apparently has a conception defect, and that HW won't stand by their product by offering for-money servicing to solve it. I wouldn't spend more money on a 2n under those circumstances, by fear that the same scenario would repeat in a couple of years, I'd rather put in a little bit more money and buy a Xeo knowing that Liquivision _would_ stand by its product in 2 or 3 years if needed and are prepared to repair it if it needs to.
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

To me it looks like you did not inspect the MKII properly before you bought it.

Did you check out the forums on the internet before you bought the MKII? If this is as big a problem as stated in the this thread, then it would have to be documented and you would have known not to buy an MKII.

I've always found the service from HW to be top notch, well beyond what other manufacturers offer.

Get in touch with HW directly.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Yes, I did send them a message like 20 minutes ago, asking for advice and suggesting they might want to jump into this thread to clarify the matter. Why are you so insistent with me about contacting them directly ?
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

I am recommeding to you to contact HW directly because if I was HW I most certainly would not offer you a deal publicly in a forum.
But since you bought the MKII second hand, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And yes I do agree with you, a clarification from Matthias would be helpful
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Well, TBH I did not come here looking for a deal to exchange the unit with a new one, but merely to gather information about the problem:

1) Understand if the issue is specific to my unit and might come from bad usage or if it is more widespread and might affect a unit which had been properly cared for.

2) Understand if the issue poses a thread to water-tightness or is safe to dive with.

3) Understand if once started the bad gasket/glass junction will spread or if there is a chance it stays contained in the corner as it is now.

4) In case the gasket/glass gap represents a problem, I hoped that HW was able to offer paid services to repair it for a fair repair fee.

Also, the seller offered me to take my unit back if it happens to be unsuitable to dive with already or in the near future, which is very fair of him, but I am still waiting for the answers to the above questions to decide if I should keep or give back that MkII.
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Jerome,

Looks like you are getting a fair deal from the seller. I am not quite sure that your problem is actually a serious one. We'll just have to wait and see what HW says.

If your unit is ok then IMHO you are in for a treat. The OSTC is one of the best piece of diving equipment I ever owned. I absolutely love it. My wife already asked when I am going to divorce her and marry my 2N.
;)

Maybe sailor can tell us a bit more about the same problem he's having with his unit.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM
Regthing

Post by Regthing »

I have the same issue with mine

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 ... /share.jpg[/IMG]

I contacted HW and they said if it got worse to let them know. I haven't done anything about it since.
Scott
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Thanks for sharing Regthing!

Could you tell me how it happened ? I mean was it little by little and expanding, or did you notice it all of a sudden ? Also, I would be curious to know how long it has been since you reported it and if the gap expanded since then - I am trying to understand whether or not this is a "degenerative disease" or a "stable condition" :-)

Same answer from you sailor would be awesome too... :-)
sailor

Post by sailor »

Hi,

mine is not that obvious and im by far not that worried.
I'm sure it will not flood as there is no airspace to flood.
As mentioned before, the MK2 is not repairable as far as i know.
Another user managed to scratch his glass and if i remember right it is not possible to change the glass.

[IMG]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/572/1001799s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7942/1001795f.jpg[/IMG]

Reiner
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

OK, so the consensus so far seems to be "let's not worry about it". That's what I expected and suppose myself, but a confirmation by HW people would still be great...
Regthing

Post by Regthing »

Mine has got worse. The most noticable in my pic is along the top of the screen. The delamination is starting to meet in the middle.

I'm not overly worried about it but I've effectively logged the issue with HW so if it does get worse I'm not reporting it out of the blue.
Scott
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Well, I have still not had the chance of getting any sort of reply from HW. How long does it usually take them to respond ?
heinrichsweikamp

Post by heinrichsweikamp »

Hi Jerome,

We still did not get a mail from you and we don't look into the forum here all the time, sorry.

This (unwanted) effect is the paint on the glass that get's loose. The Mk.2 has been filled with a resin under vaccum. Besides looking bad it has no technical effect. If it's getting worse just send us a mail and we'll see what we can do. I'm quite sure we'll find a solution.

Cheers,
Matthias
tramjoe

Post by tramjoe »

Hi Matthias,

> We still did not get a mail from you and we don't
> look into the forum here all the time, sorry.

I used the contact form to send you a private message yesterday a little after 1pm. I assume this does send you an email, or at least that it is supposed to. I filled my name and email address in the relevant form fields, explained the problem and pointed to that forum thread for reference. Maybe your contact form is broken ? Thanks anyway for jumping in on the forum.

> This (unwanted) effect is the paint on the glass
> that get's loose. The Mk.2 has been filled with a
> resin under vaccum. Besides looking bad it has no
> technical effect.

If you are positive this is purely cosmetic, then I guess it's ok. My worry was that it had mechanical consequences as from the outside, it looks like there is an airspace between the actual OLED screen and the glass, while the glass appears to be pressed against a raised black frame around the screen that might be a gasket.

As I am curious about it, could you give a little bit more details about how the assembly is done ? Is there resin between the screen and the glass ? What is the black frame surrounding the screen, just a painted surface ? Is the glass supposed to be holding by being glued on the black frame with a paint layer in between ? Is what we see between the black paint and the glass a bubble of air or a bubble of resin (not sure if the resin you are talking about is a liquid or is solidified) ?

> If it's getting worse just send

Well, the surface of the defect expanded since yesterday, I do not know if this is due to me pressing on the glass a couple of times on top of it (and the subsequent pressure release "pulling" at the paint) or because storage conditions have changed (it just sits on my desk).

> us a mail and we'll see what we can do. I'm quite
> sure we'll find a solution.

Thanks, will do.
Should I use the info@ email address ?

Best,
--
Jerome
swissdiving

Post by swissdiving »

Yes you should use the info@heinrichsweikamp.com email adress.
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> 2N ¦ 2201 / 3892

RTFM